Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Temu and other sites selling tat - what’s the point?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There is strict legislation for professional drivers in the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Because it's race to the bottom Capitalism baby, that's why.

Filling up landfills with tat that will still be there in millions of years to come because teeny boppers and middle aged mums needed a dopamine hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Amazon delivery vans are generally Cat B vehicles i.e. can be driven with a car licence. They don't have tacographs and CPC is not required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's awful, even thinking about all the crap sites like Temu and Ali Baba distribute around the world that no one really needs gives me existential dread.

I wish everyone was as woke as me and limited how much stuff they buy as much as they can, even at Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Well I for one love the likes of AliExpress particularly. My hobby is electronics and building my own circuits but I was absolutely sick of being absolutely fleeced by local suppliers, or local suppliers locking out non-trade customers. €10 for pennies parts was the norm.

Yes, there's lots of useless **** on these sites, but no one is forced to buy any of it. Someone posted a tap cover, but that's no more useless than the one you'd pick up in a hardware shop. The only difference is that you won't have much change out of €20 for one got here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok; you say you're not blaming the poor, then basically say it's a still choice to stay poor, that hard work automatically lifts you out of poverty - therefore, if they're still poor it's their fault. Lazy, in effect cos I guess they should work harder? Like there couldn't be a dozen economic and social factors locking people into a cycle. Sometimes yes, the blame lies on external factors if you're running just to stay still and the deck's stacked against you. Maybe take a look at the "boot's theory" as a first stop.

Thankfully in Ireland we don't demonise the poor to the extent America or, latterly, the UK likes to do. The poor should work harder, the sick should not fall ill. I'm glad Bezos worked his way to success, but one swallow doesn't mean a summer. I don't think he's inhumane, i didn't say that.

Getting off topic TBH and not interested in yet another distraction from a user trying to put the Poor's problems at their own feet for not trying hard enough - it's gross, reductive and inhumane. Can agree to disagree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Has anyone else spotted the Temu employee in the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Kat1170

The shills are really, really trying hard in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

They sell cheap tin foil hats on it if your in the market!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

All shops sell tat, anybody noticed what time of the year it is? However - and that seems to be the issue that many on here fails to grasp - just because a shop sells tat it doesn't mean everything they sell are tat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd love if I only had to pay annual taxes of a quarter of a thirteenth of what I made in a single day.

Also he paid no tax in 2007 and 2011.

Here in Ireland USC in 8% on higher incomes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,495 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You seem determined to misinterpet what I wrote and then exaggerate your misinterpetations for some reason.

I've got some small errands I must run for friends so I'll leave you to your faux outrage, wish you a Happy Christmas and hope Santa will bring you a lovely lifelong lasting locally made present.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I don't use those cheap sites. If something seems too cheap, there's usually a reason. Some of these things are being sold for less that it would cost to make them properly, so how can they be good value? Something, somewhere has to be sacrified to get that price. I also don't use Amazon if at all possible, and if I do have to use it I'll use Amazon.de, as much as Bezos seems to think I am part of the UK and pushing me to use it. That's actually my main reason for not using Amazon, it's insistence that Ireland is still tied to the UK. Go to Amazon.ie and you get redirected to .co.uk because.... I'd love if someone could change Amazon.com to redirect to Amazon.ca and see how they like it!

Ironic that while reading and posting in this thread, Boards has ads for Temu all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭OrangeBadger

Lol this lad believes sh1t that comes out of China

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,606 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Amazon.de charge for shipping or do you have German Prime?

I occasionally use .de if something is significantly cheaper. I find that UK is best. They deal with the VAT properly (a lot of UK retailers don't) and as I have Prime, no shipping charges and deliveries 7 days a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nearly anything I've got on .de was free shipping iirc, but I rarely buy anything on Amazon so maybe I've just been lucky. I do have a Prime Video account, not sure if that includes the delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Programme on BBC Radio 4 about how stuff is being built not to last, Planned Obsolescence. But near the end the very important topic of Psychological Obsolescence is mentioned. Where people get new stuff even though the old stuff is still working.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001tqj9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,784 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Have you bought any of these , I’ve bought the ear buds which work perfectly and I’ll be buying more when it I reach€10

• Advertisement
Advertisement