Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

uPVC reassembling door lock

• 23-12-2023 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

First things first, I know what I did was stupid but my curiosity got the better of me. I decided to replace the cylinder lock on my uPVC door. I then decided I wanted to know how the lock mechanism works. 

Now, the bottom hook doesn't work and I can't work out how it's meant to be installed. 

Is this a "common" locking mechanism/would anyone have a diagram of how it's meant to fit together/be able to explain this so I can avoid trying to get a locksmith/someone out?

I know the part on the right slots into the side of the door. But I can't remember if the hook catches "down" or "up". Its the bottom one on the door.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

Tricky one that. Like myself, you're the embodiment of the phrase "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is..." 😂

I'm not sure either and I'm going to suggest that you might have to refer to the upper lock to see how that sliding bolt connects with the level. What I can also suggest is that you look at the bottom receiver for the sliding bolt and see if you can see the tell-tail marks which tell you whether it actuates upwards or downwards. I'd guess that it's in the same direction as the top one. Also, those bolt units are made symmetrically so that the same unit can be installed on a left or right opening door, so if you just copy what you see in the top lock it might all come clear.

Advertisement