Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thought Remco said he was sick/felt terrible!

Excellent from Rafferty through the first time check

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Very close to his leader Powless (presumably) but how will they finish? Intriguing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Rafferty faded unfortunately. Not terrible but the time at the first check gave me hope for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

First sighting on a provisional start list in a while for Eddie Dunbar. PCS have him down for the Tour de Suisse (alongside Ben Healy)

Archie Ryan, Rafferty and Ryan Mullen listed for Tour of Slovenia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Junior

Insert Spiderman meme here of Geraint Thomas, Roglic and Dunbar all pointing at each other with some body part bandaged up. I've taken to nicknaming Roglic "The Pope" - he has to kiss the tarmac everywhere he visits.

• Advertisement

Coverage of todays stage about to start but I see from PCS that Decathlon and Trek have been pulling so they both think their man can be there at the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Big crash at the Dauphiné with 20 kms to go. 30 riders down including Remco, not sure if he is going to continue. Race neutralized.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I don't know if the stage will continue today… on Eurosport commentators mentioning there may not be enough medical support left to cover it, as they deal with the number of injuries.

From ProCycling:

VAN BAARLE Dylan (Team Visma | Lease a Bike) moved to the hospital with a shoulder injury.

KRUIJSWIJK Steven (Team Visma | Lease a Bike) moved to the hospital with unknown injuries.

As expected at the Dauphiné Stage 5: The riders will ride the remaining 20k towards the finish in Saint-Priest. There will be no stage winner and no times changes for GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

..and no sprint for Sam

• Advertisement

No, and hopefully no damage sustained either. I didn't see him named in the list of crashed riders on Pro Cycling so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

Has he done enough to get the tour selection?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cycling News claim that

"Nearly everyone in the peloton looks to have sustained some damage from that incident in some way shape or form"

Remco has a gash on his leg. Looks very clean like the type you get from a bike part.

Rog of course went down in the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,049 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Not sure where the info comes from but 30 riders apparently involved.

VAN BAARLE Dylan (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

VERGALLITO Luca (Alpecin - Deceuninck)

TOUMIRE Hugo (Cofidis)

POWLESS Neilson (EF Education - EasyPost)

MÜHLBERGER Gregor (Movistar Team)

CORT Magnus (Uno-X Mobility)

ROGLIČ Primož (BORA - hansgrohe)

EVENEPOEL Remco (Soudal Quick-Step)

LEKNESSUND Andreas (Uno-X Mobility)

PACHER Quentin (Groupama - FDJ)

LANDA Mikel (Soudal Quick-Step)

AYUSO Juan (UAE Team Emirates)

NAESEN Oliver (Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team)

UMBA Santiago (Astana Qazaqstan Team)

GAZZOLI Michele (Astana Qazaqstan Team)

COMBAUD Romain (Team dsm-firmenich PostNL)

WELLENS Tim (UAE Team Emirates)

POLITT Nils (UAE Team Emirates)

KRUIJSWIJK Steven (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

LEMMEN Bart (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

HINDLEY Jai (BORA - hansgrohe)

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

These crashes, while we have always had incidents over the years, are quite worrying. This was a dead straight road albeit one with rain falling. What is it these days with riders falling off en masse? Is it really necessary to go descending in these conditions at 70/80 kmh? Are disc brakes and aero frames an actual disadvantage? I remember Sean Kelly, among others, weighing in on this after the Basque incident in April and it's important not to over react. But there is something in the cycling waters in recent seasons (10 years?) whereby too many riders are taking too many risks, with too little skill on show.

Footage from the side of road shows the speeds involved

https://x.com/keyshawn__bava/status/1798722152763633671?s=46&t=GxIuxCwCL5-Eet2j65YTdA

https://x.com/keyshawn__bava/status/1798722152763633671?s=46&t=GxIuxCwCL5-Eet2j65YTdA

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I was wondering my Eurosport coverage was showing yesterday Tt again. Then I checked cycling news.
    that was a rough one. I’m not sure where the blame game will send this one. Road was greasy but Plugge is well p1ssed with all the riders Jumbo have lost to crashes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Raymzor

freshly paved road had little grip in the rain. Road was smooth with no chipping on it like Ireland.

Dunbar and Healy off the Tour de Suisse lists now.

Healy is still down for the TDF for now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure what can really be done - Basque country crash caused by roads in poor condition, this one by freshly laid and rain. I do remember one former rider (maybe Nico) saying that descents used to be a time to recover, whereas these days everyone carries on pushing.

Personally, I'd say it's better overall standard of the peloton means that more riders are still in the group at points in the race they wouldn't have been or it would've been a bit more strung out. So when something does happen, more are involved.

• Advertisement

Catching up with the racing earlier, wtf, the break was sent the wrong way and lost a minute of their lead 30ks out??!

Eurosport lads talking about Gee and how its the ride of his life….were they not watching the Giro last year??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wait till you try amateur racing, I will give you a lesson in taking risks without the skill to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,413 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You would think that the teams have mapped out the route and would advise their riders of potential dangerous spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Logistically impossible for them to do with a calendar of race events teams attend.
    esch team gets a race manual that has all that information including last 3km and finish line details from the race organisers. But even the details in that can change as when the race route is planned ir might be decided after to contact local councils about road repairs (repairs and surface upgrades are done without road inspection by race organisers) often done in days leading up to a race event.

Raffferty in a strong break at the Dauphine, with Barguil, Soler, Martin.

There's been a heap more DNS & abandonments today.

Some mad performances there, Lazkano finishing ahead of Buitrago & Landa after 4000m+ of climbing, Tarling being in the front group halfway up the last climb, even Sam getting 3/4 of the way up the Ramaz before dropping, 10 mins after the likes of Froome

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Oh, I've been there! Survived multiple Gorey 3-Days but as a mate once said, we only do this for fun.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think Roglic has blown.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Jesus, did not expect that with 5k to go, got away with it in the end!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement