Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does this low mileage mean?

• 26-12-2023 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

If a dealer is offering a used 232 car with just 1,000 km mileage, what does that mean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It might just have been a courtesy car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Probably a demo model ie, people used it for test drives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Demo/courtesy car most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭EarWig

A risky buy or not?

Seems like maybe 10% off new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It is probably a pre reg. A pre reg is a brand new car that the dealer/manufacturer will register with little or no mileage on it, and then sell it on usually at a discounted price.

• Advertisement

Demos and courtesy cars tend to have alot more than 1k km on the clock when they are sold on. Demos tend to be sold on after 3 months. Courtesy cars can be kept longer depending on the mileage they rack up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭EarWig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Check the actual month of registration.

Dealer often get sizeable rebates for hitting certain sales figures, and those are often based upon registrations. So if they are a few cars short of the target then they will effectively buy the car themselves, register it and so hit the target. Spending a penny to get a pound. If the car was registered in December I would guess that is what happened.

If it was registered earlier in the year I would be more wary. It could be a lemon that was sold, developed faults immediately, and the dealer was forced to take the car back after multiple attempts to fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

If its a few thousand off new and finance deal is similar to a new car just go for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Father of a friend of mine once got a "demo" car with delivery mileage on it so a low mileage pre-reg wouldn't put me off if the deal makes sense.

• Advertisement

Definitely pre reg imo. If you look at the reg numbers of the blue and white one, they are consecutive numbers. The dealer would have registered a number of them as pre regs. Mileage is too low to be a demo/courtesy or ex rental.

Looking at the price of a brand new one on volkswagen.ie they are around 26k in basic white colour plus delivery/PDI charges so probably around 27k on the road. So 22,900 for a pre reg seems ok. I'd try and push them a bit harder on that price though as it's now a year old car and Polos are not selling these days like they used to in the past.

It seems good value for a hardly driven car provided the finance deal is same as new car .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭User1998

Of course not, its practically a brand new car

Very little risk there once the figures are good. The car will still have the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty

Is it not possible to tell whether car was registered to a customer or the dealer ? I thought the dealer didn't count as an owner?

Advertisement