Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on 1x gear ratios please?

Options
  • 26-12-2023 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I hope you had a nice Christmas.

I am looking at building up a commuter/gravelly spec road bike with a 1x group set... Maybe even go for electronic gears.

I ride a compact group set on my other endurance road bike, with 50/34 chainrings and 11/32 cassette.

Can any of you advise me if there is a front chainring and rear cassette combo which would get some or most of these gears?

I appreciate your advice,

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have a 40t front and 11-42 cassette on my gravel bike (Shimano GRX 11-speed) and I find it great for the riding I do on that bike.

I wouldn't necessarily ride it in a group as I'd worry about the 40-11 not being fast enough.

With 1x you will have some sacrifices - either easiest gear, hardest gear or gaps between the gears.

You'd therefore maybe miss the 50-11. SRAM or Campagnolo can go down to 9 or 10t smallest sprocket on the rear. You also need a decent climbing gear if you are doing actual off road riding though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Thank you for the reply...

I find I spin a slightly lower gear as against grinding a big gear ...

I also think having no front derailleur and a cheaper look at electronic gears will be some advantages...

Less maintenance and another reason to buy more cycling stuff!

40t and 11/42 looks like a nice combo!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If you are going electronic / SRAM - you open up extra possibilities. E.g. SRAM Rival comes as standard with 10-44 and 40t chainring - there shouldn't be any extra gaps with the 12th gear. But you can also pair it with a SRAM Eagle MTB derailleur and go to 10-52, with a possibility of changing the chainring out for a 44t. I'm looking at going that way for a new project I am working on

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭pairofpears

I have 40t with 11/42 and was up to 40kmh with cross tyres. Fairly sure I'd get faster with GP5000 on it and then only run out of gears.

I'm trying to sell my 2 road bikes to go with road tyres on my 1X cyclocross bike cos it's everything I need.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply...

Over the last few years I do lots of commuting and am mostly in small ring up front and rarely ride in big gears on the cassette and 50t chainring..

I think a good selection of the gears I use, in a 1x set up will be easy to build, maintain and probably cheaper to run too..

I have bought sensah empire group set on Ali express and like it..

I hear that ltwoo do a 1x electronic group set.. I would possibly look at this..

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭devonp

you can get electronic 1x in the lowest price range now, Apex axs XPLR

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/sram-apex-xplr-axs-first-ride-review-301887

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I had 40t with 11-42t when I bought my CX bike. Went upto a 42t for racing and this could keep up fine on group rides, even doing OK in club league races (although alot of spinning was needed at the top end). I have stuck a 48t on for commuting, a few hills i have to get out of the saddle but it is rare enough.

Long story short, 40 with a 11-42 will handle 95% of Irish bike riding. Slightly bigger front chainring if you go on fast club spins but thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Advertisement