Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Day disasters

• 26-12-2023 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any Christmas nightmares this year?

A poor family I know were just sitting down to dinner when they got a call to immediately go to hospital to a very ill relative, she was dead by the time they arrived. Needless to say dinner was a non event

Comments

• ah that’s bad but imagine waking up in MountJoy prison knowing you’re spending Christmas Day there because you were too stubborn to just stay at home.

made me feel better that me roast potatoes were a bit overcooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Ya I hit the drink a bit hard in the morning, went to the in laws and slept through the whole dinner 🤣 In the dog house at the moment lol

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,127 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Put loads of pepper on me dinner instead of salt. Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I nearly had a dry dinner but managed to make gravy at the last minute and thankfully it was not dry but yum.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Broke a Pyrex measuring jug. Disgraceful behaviour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Many years ago, we left the turkey in our very cold conservatory overnight on Christmas Eve. Unfortunately, we forgot to lock the cat flap, so a local mangy moggy managed to smell what was on offer, rip through the plastic packaging, and tear lumps out of turkey breast.

We did consider whether we could cut away bits and cook the remainder, with the in-laws coming and all, but a chicken from the freezer proved to be a better option.

What an exciting day it must have been for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I once had to turn a young, pregnant couple away, because my inn was full. Felt bad for them but apparently the kid went on to do incredible things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Only managed 4 types of potato dish,. mash, chips, roasted and stuffing. Forgot the croquettes. Disaster, Gutted. OH talking about trial separation to get over the shock of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Musicrules

That's a well known scam. Lucky escape for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Years ago an aunt of mine bought a freshly killed turkey on Christmas Eve and threw it under the stairs intending to get up early and pluck and clean it before cooking.

Imagine her surprise the following morning when she found the fcukin thing was still alive , not only that , it ran from under the stairs into her living room being chased by her two Jack Russells.

Chaos broke out , with the turkey being eventually beaten to death by her son and husband before being finally cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Never cut the elastic on a boned and rolled Turkey especially on Christmas morning when you may not have oven safe string to tie it back together😂.

Can still see my dad's face when the whole thing pretty much exploded on the counter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Burnt the turkey, carved it away from sight, they'll never know! The shame of it.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭taratee

Oven went on strike on Christmas morning and didn't bother telling us until early afternoon. Neighbour with a vacant oven stepped in to help us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Nothing this year but the Christmas 1997 that my brother called to the door to tell me our Mam had passed in her sleep during the night ranks up there with disaster.

Didn't put a damper on other Christmases though, she wouldn't have liked that🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Had to do an extra flush in the downstairs, totes disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Mother in law wouldn’t eat the special bun I made for her. Back to the drawing board.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Christmas Day 1991, we had been been into a good neighbour's house for drinks in the early afternoon as we did every year. When we got home, my 82 year old granddad keeled over and fell to the floor just as we were about to sit down to the Christmas dinner.

The fresh memory of our mum's tragic death in 1990 meant that this was the second Christmas without her so my granddad's collapse seemed like another disaster - and my poor granny was going hysterical with panic - but it turned out after getting a neighbour who was a doctor to check him that he was fine, just had far too much to drink at our neighbour's place. My dad (his son) was not impressed and off up to bed he went to sleep it off whilst the rest of us tucked into dinner.

He also lived for another 10 years. 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Honestly this is fcuking sick, evil and sociopathic! The turkey survives being killed only to be chased by two dogs and then beaten to death. Zero empathy whatsoever for the ordeal the bird went through in your post. “But ah shur it’s only a turkey”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭talla10

Don't worry about it this is only a made up story for boards. I doubt it actually happened

• Ah here calm down peta what were they supposed to do give the turkey therapy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Course it didn’t happen , poetic license and all that.

Sorry sgt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I posted that last night after a few too many red wines, I got all emotional thinking about the poor turkey 😵‍💫 Anyway I’m relieved the story is fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You need to be careful when wringing the necks of turkeys not to detach the head. Like chickens they can still run and fly around without their heads. I heard a story of this happening in a plucking barn where one of the headless turkeys flew up into the rafters and refused to come down.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike the Headless Chicken (April 20, 1945 – March 17, 1947)[1] was a male Wyandotte chicken that lived for 18 months after his head had been cut off, surviving because most of his brain stem remained intact and he did not bleed to death due to a blood clot. After the loss of his head, Mike achieved national fame until his death in March 1947. In Fruita, Colorado, United States, an annual "Mike the Headless Chicken Day" is held in May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

That headless chicken story creeps me out.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Probably the type of fellow who enjoys the misery.

🙈🙉🙊

• You might say that Enoch is the modern day Mrs. Doyle?

• Advertisement
Advertisement