Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return an item to Amazon

Options
  • 27-12-2023 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

I got emailed a return label for the item.

Do I just affix this to the envelope and send the item back?

How long does it take to get a refund?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Yeah, just attach it to whatever size package you received (if you still have the original packaging)

Word of warning: if using the original packaging cover the original label - the one with your address. I made that mistake once with a big-ish box I had to return. I stupidly put the return label on the other side. Whilst the original address was on the other. An Post delivered it back to me lol.

Was waiting about a week after they received to get refund as well. It should state in the email you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭I am me123

I was provided in the email from Amazon with the following in order to return the package;

A commercial invoice & a return mailing label ( I presume according to the email these are to be put on the outside of the return package) and

A return authorisation label ( according to the email, this is to be placed inside the return package) .

Is this all I will need?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

If returing to Portlaoise, postage is usually free, if the return label is for the UK, you'll need to pay the postage, and keep the receipt to claim the postage refund separately (if eligible).

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

Is it me, but I have stopped buying from Amazon. The stuff I have ordered is junk or not as advertised.

The last notable items were 4/7 tube that was actually 4/6 and blew off after I wasted a day installing it.

The other thing I found alarming was a SES lampholder that leaves the threaded portion of the SES bulb conductor protruding from the socket in which case getting the polarity wrong or having a neutral wiring discontinuity could quite literally kill someone.

I used a lot of these in an area only I have access to, so I kept them and finished the job. I reported the problem to the Amazon supplier and left an Amazon report, but they are still on sale.

I don't understand how a very high risk item can be left on sale. I wouldn't fit one in a persons property under any circumstances, but my report and photo's were ignored.

Anyway I didn't return those as I only noticed after fitting a dozen and started to screw the bulbs in.

As for the other stuff, I am sick of returning rubbish to them. Despite giving an "up to" figure for postage claims, they have refunded my money when An Phost costs were greater, but why the waste, do they rely on most people writing off faulty or incorrectly specified goods as an unlucky choice?

Anyway. returns labels are always accompanies by clear instructions and even when my printer was down they gave details on how to address the return.

I don't return things flippantly, in fact I bought two microwaves less than a year back a Sharp and a Panasonic in October and December 2022, both get used every two or three days for two meals max and both are rusting heavily.

My spend with Amazon has plummeted!

Has anyone else noticed a drop in quality? I always did have highish failiures with the cheap Chinese electrical control gear, but it was affordable and the good stuff outnumbered the bad considerably. Those days seem well and truly over.

Were they keeping all their rubbish for after Brexit? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

I bought some cables off a seller that were the specified length I needed - 0.6m. I ordered 4 and when they arrived they were all 0.8m and too long for what I needed so I returned them and got a refund, and then went on to buy what seemed like the same type cables off a different seller. It was only after the sale went through I noticed that the order was being fulfilled by the same previous supplier, and when the cables arrived they were again 0.8m. I filed a return again and Amazon just refunded me straightaway without me even returning the cables. Both ads are still on there stating 0.6m cables.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

They will refund postage up to a max of £9.99. I was stung as An Post charged me €15 for that return. I noticed Amazon automatically added the £9.99 when refund was processed. I didn't bother arguing for the extra few euro.

Also returns will take 6+weeks to be credited. Had an absolute disastrous PC build experience with parts bought from them. They wouldn't replace a faulty part (that went up in price conveniently by £70) so I just returned the lot.

It will take 6+ weeks for a refund from my experience. Amazon used to be good years ago, definitely the worst company I have dealt with in a long time the last few years. Also had warranty issues they refused to honour a mobile phone warranty 2 years ago. If I didn't have gift cards I'd be shopping elsewhere..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

They don't always refund postage. It depends on the reason you give for returning the item.

If its just a change of mind, they won't refund postage. I've been caught out with this myself.

An Post also won't accept anything with a lithium battery for a return.

I've never waited as long as six weeks for a refund, but i have had to chase up with Amazon for postage refunds separately - its more hassle than its worth.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm still waiting on items returned November 18th to be refunded. The bulk has already been refunded, longest was around 6+ weeks. Perhaps it depends on value of the items, we're talking over £300.

Most items bar one were free returns (I hadn't realized one item was dispatched by manufacturer and not Amazon). Horrible company to deal with will only use them for small disposable items like batteries etc. in future. But I had £1500 gift card balance so stuck with them for now..

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭billgibney

I got a quote from DHL for returning faulty phone to Amazon.

56 euro! Because it had a battery.

Advertisement