Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cow that didn’t clean

Options
  • 28-12-2023 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭

Mature cow that didn’t clean after calving 6 weeks ago. Inserted 2 X pink tablet a few days later. She is fairly clean at the bank end now. I do see the odd bit of discharge on the ground that I am 90 percent sure is from her that is milkywhite/clear consistency. How safe will it be to put her back in calf when she starts cycling? Or anything else that can be done prior to that? Really don’t want to get rid of her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

I think i’d be washing her out, no problem putting her in calf if she comes bulling but if there’s infection there she probably won’t come in heat. What age is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭893bet

“Washing her out” is not a term I am familiar with. How is that done? Something I buy? Something I get the vet to do?

She is 12….so not a young cow by an stretch but milky and quiet as a lamb, would like to get another few years from her and a few replacement heifers (she has had all bulls to date and only a single heifer this year finally).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭tanko

It’s putting a tube into the cervix and injecting a 5% iodine solution or a metricure into the cow. If you’re used to handling or Ai’ing cows you could do it yourself but if you want to get her right i’d get a vet to examine and treat her, she doesn’t owe you anything at this stage. Personally once a cow is ten or eleven i find they can be troublesome and are better replaced with a heifer.

Not something I could do. AI man is a dairy farmer also so likely something he would be capable and used to doing.

She is down a pin this year from mastitis also so you are likely right…..but still want to try get her cycling and back into calf. If she don’t hold she can be weaned early and finish off grass for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Only ever had one that required metricure, she had delivered a dead calf. The other two we had got 100ml bottle amoxcillin inj divided out over a few days. No issues with subsequent pregnancies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A shot of estrumate from your vet might help. Dont serve on her heat, let the heat clean her out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Give her a metricure and sone estrumate as whelan said above.

Vet gave her estrumate. Hopefully help. Will leave her at least 2 -3 heat cycles before I chance serving her.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Amateur Farmer

Why not serve her on the next heat after she has cycled this time? You've nothing to loose and you won't jeopardise her chances of going in calf in any way. If you really want to make sure she goes in calf then use a bad quality bull and she'll be sure to hold then 🙈

I might do if I see no residue on the ground from her in mean time. Hopefully as would like to keep her.

injected her Saturday morning and she was nuts starting to come on last night so I separated her from rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

It would cost €40ish euro to serve her and in all probability she won’t hold.

Advertisement