Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall patio tree for privacy

Options
  • 29-12-2023 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hi

I’m looking for ideas or pics to give us privacy in our back garden.

We are partially overlooked so would like tall narrow trees with smallish roots. Has anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if you're in dublin, take a walk around tully's nurseries out near blake's cross. bear in mind that if you want instant height, you're looking at €€€. also, they could be a PITA to manage as tall trees will generally want to keep growing; do you want to keep them in pots?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

Tnx. Going to plant them directly into soil

(no pots)

What is a PITA?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pain in the ass. i mention this because my parents are in a similar situation; they planted trees for privacy, needing them to be probably 4 or 5m tall; now they have to be pruned at least once a year to stop them getting too tall, and it's not that easy to prune a tree to 5m. very hard to get trees that will grow to precisely the height you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭normanbond

PITA 😂😂

Thanks for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tall narrow trees with small roots tend to fall over. If you do some basic geometry you will probably find you don't need the trees to be nearly as tall as you think - look at the point that is overlooking, a bedroom window for example, and the area you need to be private - your patio for example, and look at the sight line. Where it passes over your boundary will be nowhere near as high as the bedroom window.

I tend to work on the principle that if someone wants to sit in their bedroom gazing into my garden well good luck to them. They are going to be disappointed. I appreciate not everyone feels the same way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement