Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB banned in Ireland

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

you wouldn't given nobody ever said such.

massive over exaggeration here.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it's actually a reasonable success.

yes the BBC backing it originally was a help, but ultimately the technology is a reasonable success providing much wider choice of formats and lower transmission costs.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I have seen the DTS heat maps for stations which operate on DAB in NI with what I would consider weak signals on the Southern side of the border.

If you dont know what DTS is - look it up !

You would be shocked at the amount of listeners to UK DAB in Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan and Louth - and that's just new vehicles from about 2022+ which are equipped with DTS

When something is available - people will listen. End of

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Regarding Internet Streaming/Internet Radio, it is a repeated counterpoint in the cyclic discourse over the rather sorry sad state of affairs of Irish radio that takes place across a few threads and the same points come up again.

I am a radio enthusiast, I was unfortunately born too late to enjoy the hayday of the super-pirates when radio was more interesting but I was able to witness first hand how regulatory blockades prevent new or interesting stations that I do want to listen to from coming on stream. Sure, they could stream online but they don't because for them there isn't any point and nobody hears you. I used to enjoy the live programming, the presentation, the institutional knowledge and the curated music selections but tuning in now it just sounds like a Spotify playlist which is frankly boring.

Sure, I could setup a DAB transmitter in the morning, and sure it's unlikely I'll get a knock on the door if noone's tuning in and sure I could 'mess about' but that's not the same thing as wanting to run something at 200W to cover a city and offer something to a wider audience and a small-scale service is what I want the opportunity to try but as of yet, cannot do so.

As for claims about me, I don't know anyone claiming that I would (or had plans to) setup a national service; I'm aware that Viamux/Eirdab were testing in Cork, and Dublin. I'm aware that DBDB was planning to launch a service (but that quietly fizzled out), just off hand.

And to answer your question: Yes, several times and I've always been told words to the effect of "there are no licences available" or "we're not currently seeking to licence any new multiplexes (radio or television) during this current licencing period". They've always been very courteous, polite, professional and have replied, but I disagree with their position. Note, my position extends beyond just radio in this case, their position also means that services like local community television have a limited audience.

Lastly I'll repeat myself, Internet Radio is a dead end and it only gives the illusion of having any traction because a handful of folks use it over short durations, a larger operator (e.g. Bauer) might be able to contract a service provider for a large number of listener slots and pay an app developer for a slick app with all their podcasts, repeats and socials but a smaller operator cannot and so I cannot see them even overtaking DAB listeners in the same space - you just cannot replace broadcasting with unicasting. So far from democratising it would ensure that only the financially deep-pocketed could ever afford it and that would make our current situation far worse.

The issue I have with the model here isn't just that noone can setup any new DTT or DAB multiplexes, but that the current arrangement makes it difficult to impossible to launch any new radio stations on FM even when there's multiple frequencies available. I always found it curious for example how when (then known as) 4FM launched it conveniently notched out the South East - Dublin, Cork, Limerick (Clare due to overspill) and Galway but nowhere near Waterford or Wexford. There is no shortage of FM stations for Waterford as proven countless times. The model is broken.

And this is the root of my complaint, it's less about wanting to see DAB resurrected and more about wanting the right to choose what station I listen to while those in power continue to deny me that right.

There are only two options here:
    1. Revamp and rework the procedure for FM licence applications and allow for others to 'make a go of it' and either sink or swim on their own merits; their money, their choice.
    2. Allow folks to band together and setup a DAB mux to provide capacity for more stations where FM spectrum genuinely is not available.

I maintain it's less about being a fan of DAB, for me it's part technical challenge, but mostly railing against the horrible lack of choice on live radio in Ireland, choice we've been denied for 35 years.

Advertisement