Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2024 Edition!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME || Gears of War 3

PLATFORM || Xbox Series X

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Guardians of the galaxy telltale - PS4

Dead Space - Xbox series S

Tomb raider 1 - PS5

Tomb raider 2 - PS5

Days gone - PS4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman V (GB)
    2. Liberation Maiden (3DS)
    3. The Starship Damrey (3DS)
    4. Kirby and the Forgotten Land (Switch)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    7. Weapon Shop de Omasse (3DS)
    8. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
    9. Resident Evil 4: Separate Ways (PC)
    10. Princess Maker Refine (PC)
    11. Metal Slug 1st Mission (Neo Geo Pocket Colour)
    12. Metroid Prime Remaster (Switch)
    13. Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PSP)
    14. Snufkin: Melody of Moominvalley (PC)
    15. Elite Beat Agents (DS)
    16. Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
    17. Yeah! You Want "Those Games," Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them! (PC)
    18. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories

Sheesh, finally got through this one. I didn't outright hate this game like most KH games but it's not good but it's also quite frustrating because there's a decent game that crawls out of the sludge every so often.

So this is a remake of KH Chain of Memories, which was a GBA game that bridged the story between KH1 and KH2. And by bridged the story I mean KH2 is a confusing mess when you don't know the story of CoM. I'm guessing most people didn't play CoM before KH2 and were equally as baffled by this game. With the release of the International version of KH2 in Japan, square bundled a remake of CoM with it which was eventually released in the US (not Europe) at a budget price. The original GBA game is 2D (with some incredible pixel art) while the remake is remade in the KH2 engine using existing assets from both KH1 and 2.

The story of CoM is pretty awful which is par for the course for the series. It's really two games in one with Riku's story opening up once you beat Sora's story. There's an ungodly amount of friendship speeches and vague nonsense and about how Riku must forget to remember. It manages to be totally throw away while also being essential to the lore.

As for the game, it's standard KH but with a twist and that twist is cards. I'm pretty sure the mention of cards turned everyone off this game but the combat system almost works. Each card represents an attack or magic spell and each card is given an number from 1-9. If you play a card higher than the enemy you can interrupt their attack but the enemy can also do the same to you. You can also stack three cards to use together that can create some even more powerful attacks and spells. Once you get the hang of it, it makes for some really great boss fights. However if you haven't figured it out you can end up with only a handful of weak cards as all you best ones have been "broken" which can be very frustrating.

While the battle system works great for boss fights, the rest of the game consists of 12 dungeons that can go one for upwards of over an hour and become very tedious. There's a lot of random battles and these are never satisfying and can mostly be dealt with by mashing through cards without thinking. It really spoils the pace of the game and makes is tough to get through. Apparently the GBA game was a much shorter game due to the 2D visuals. Also annoying is that attacks tend to whiff a lot due to the 3D nature of the visuals. The dungeons consist of a handful of rooms that you build yourself. It has the strange would map that square was obsessed with at the time like Legend of Mana or FF Tactics Advance. It almost feels randomly generated as a result.

When you beat Sora's story you open up Riku's story where he goes backwards through the game. The battle system is again mixed up to make a very different game. In this mode you can't pick your cards but have pre-made decks that change as you advance the story. These decks only have melee attack cards. The decks are purposefully awful but if you play the battle system properly and use Riku's new mechanics then it's actually not that big a deal and forces you to fight creatively. Again this system really comes alive in the boss battles but again the random mobs you face are a chore. At least this mode is half the length of Sora's story.

I do appreciate that this game decided to do something different with the awful button mashing combat of KH, and it works in the boss fights, but the rest of the game is dragged down by poor pacing, well, being Kingdom Hearts nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Metroid Prime Remastered -Switch
    2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    5. Killer Frequency- Steam Deck
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch

Sea of Stars

Was hyped for this when I heard about it way back on Kickstarter, loved their first game the messenger so for me this was a must buy.

Really enjoyed this the combat system was cool too its not up there with the likes of chrono trigger but the animations and humour were very good.

Story was good too clocked in around 33 hours and got the true ending aswell. Really liked the random animated cutscenes that happened throughout the game aswell.

Still plugging away at ff7 rebirth I am on chapter 11 around 70 hours in think I say I have easily another 20 or more to go.

Have prince of Persia the lost crown for a change of pace ready to go, also got a bit into tunic on gamepass so might finish that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2024

1. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
    2. The House of the Dead Remake (Switch)
    3. Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)
    4. Dragon Quest V (DS)
    5. Paratopic (Switch)
    6. Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
    7. Metal Slug XX (PS4)
    8. Binding of Isaac: Repentance (Switch)
    9. King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
    10. Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition (Steam)
    11. We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie (Switch)

Katamari was a welcome oasis after a month+ of getting my teeth kicked in by various forms of Isaac. Eternal was utterly joyless of a creation that can be beaten only by reciprocating the contempt in which it regards the player. Repentance, on the other hand, was the peak of the remake series and, more refreshingly for Isaac, actually went and rode off into the sunset on the back of a well-done, bittersweet ending.

It's impressive how much work went into Repentance — they could've easily just piled on top of the bloated beast that was Afterbirth+ and the community would've lapped it up, but a lot of the game is redone with new art and animation, that's before even getting into all the new stuff they'd added. Perhaps more importantly, they rebalanced the game from the utterly breakable Afterbirth+ — you've actually got to put work into making the game fall in on itself again.

Chill-pilling with Bravely Default 2 for the foreseeable future as I've earned the respite.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    17. Yeah! You Want "Those Games," Right? So Here You Go! Now, Let's See You Clear Them! (PC)
    18. Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (PC)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)

Tomb Raider 3

Finally got this white whale off my back. I got to the second last stage of the game on PS1 but had my memory card corrupt.

Tomb Raider 3is obviously the product of insane crunch where Eidos were insisting on having a TR game out for Christmas every year. The main TR team focused on developing the fourth TR game, the Last Revelation, and a new team was formed to work on getting TR3 out within a year. Playing the game, it really feels like it.

First the good stuff. TR2 was meant to be for the saturn and PS1 before an exclusivity deal with Sony. With the Saturn pretty much dead in the water the team focused of refinements to the engine. It runs and looks a lot better. It also takes advantage of the PS1 hardware with nice environmental alpha effects and colour lighting. Some stages can be a bit too dark (the Remaster fixes this) but it's a much better looking game overall. Nathan McCree's soundtrack and sound scape is excellent again with some brilliant ambient effects.

Now to what I didn't like. TR3 is just messy and mean. The engine can support much bigger levels now but it just means most stages are sprawling and seem to go on for way longer than the need to. The level design is also pretty sloppy. The stages don't really interconnect the best TR levels do. The puzzles are not very good. There's some sloppiness in level design where taking damage can sometimes not be avoided, something that never happens in TR1 and 2. Often times the developers compensate with health items. It's just very mean as well with a lot of areas that feel unfair and kill the player without warning. This is ok on the PC version where you can save anywhere but I'm not sure how I managed to get so far on the playstation where the saves are expendable items and there's really not a lot of them in each stage.

The narrative is really lacking in the game. I honestly couldn't tell you what was happening. You're just sort of ferried from location to location to find artifacts. It would have benefitted with some story cutscenes to explain why you were there. Lara also comes across as a total sociopath, there's an insane amount of security guard and military personnel corpses left in her wake.

Despite all my misgivings I still was compelled to keep going to see the end of the game. There's just something fundamentally great about the exploration and controls in the old TR games and it was enough to keep me enjoying the game right to the end despite it being by far the weakest of the TR games I've played.

GAME || Gears of War: Judgment

PLATFORM || Xbox Series X

My memory of this game was foggy at best. I only played through it one time and that was around the time of its launch. It was also a time where I was big into playing Gears online and all of my friends and I agreed this one was just garbage.

My opinion of it since, was negative for over a decade. Every time I'd play through the Gears saga I would always skip Judgment.

Well in hindsight, that was a bad idea.

Say what you will about its multiplayer, but the campaign was amazing.

This is definitely the most difficult game in the series by far. I played it on Insane, with the Declassified missions enabled (they basically add an extra challenge to each mission - either buffing the enemies or de-buffing you).

This is gonna be up there as one of my proudest completions.

Beat it on Insane Difficulty, and cleared all the Declassified missions. And my god if I could grow back my hair I'd pull it right back out - the amount of times I kept getting killed.

The final boss was probably the hardest boss in the entire series. Took me soooo many attempts.

What likely remains my least favourite Gears title from a story perspective (I just do not care about the main character, who is a mainstay in the series but he's my least favourite, and I don't care about the other characters nor the plot) in terms of gameplay, oh it's up there as probably the most refined of the original 4 games. A good few mechanics introduced here did not carry over to Gears 4, which is a shame.

Judgment is a hidden gem of the franchise. A real treat to play. I'm pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had with it.

Update: also just beat the Aftermath chapter. Basically covers what happens after a specific chapter in Gears 3 from another perspective.

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Assassins Creed Origins [PS5] - This game really surprised me. I went in with no great expectations but loved everything about it. From the side missions to the main quest they really nailed it with this one. Set in ancient Egypt you play the role of Balek out to avenge the death of his son and on the way he discovers a sinister group who had a hand in this. The game looks amazing and plays at a smooth 60FPS on the PS5. I highly recommend it.

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition [PS5] - Heard this described as a hidden gem so decided to give it a go and all I can say is wow, it’s amazing. It’s like a mix of GTA\Yakuza\Mafia. You play as an undercover cop trying to infiltrate the Triads in Hong Kong. Soon he becomes divided between his police loyalties and his criminal friends. It’s a mission based game with plenty of side missions to keep you occupied. The melee combat is amazing and gunplay passable but it’s mostly melee. It may be 12 years old at this stage but this is a must play for any gamer especially if you like any of the GTA\Yakuza\Mafia games.

White Shadows [PS5] - A 2D puzzle platformer set in a beautifully rendered although very dark themed monochrome world. Think along the lines of Limbo\Inside\Little Nightmares. It’s not a long game and deals with some very dark themes in true Orwellian fashion. I really enjoyed it but be warned that it’s mood can be quite dark.

The Gardens Between [PS5] - an innovative puzzle game where you play as two friends over a number of levels which are set on individual islands. As you move forward, time moves forwards and affects objects around you. If you move back, time reverses and the effects are reversed. Also there are sections where you can influence individual objects and move those forwards or backwards in time alone. This truly is a unique puzzler with a few real head scratchers thrown in but nothing unfair. It’s relaxing and very rewarding when you work out the puzzles. The graphics are also very easy on the eye. Definitely a recommendation from me.

Metro Last Light Redux [PS5] - The sequel to Metro 2033, a moody, atmospheric first person shooter set in the post apocalyptic metro tunnels of Moscow. Not an overly long game and very linear but really enjoyable. I found the stealth better in this sequel. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Hogwarts Legacy
    • Assassin's Creed Mirage
    • A little to the left
    • Super Mario Bros. Wonder

• Star Wars: Jedi Survivor

Much improved over the original. Really enjoyed the story too. The one armed jedi was cool. Wasn't mad about the "secret jedi" it felt a bit forced.

• Chants of Sennaar

Probably the best puzzle game since The Witness. You have to decipher the languages from different tribes in a tower by guessing their body language or from clues you find. Another gamepass gem I likely never would have played. If you do have gamepass check it out!

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)
    20. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PC)

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

Standard CoD campaign with a far future setting that tries, and sometimes succeeds in shaking things up a bit.

The first big change is movement. On the ground it takes after advanced warfare a bit with suits that allow you to double jump and wall run. There's also zero gravity combat but it's kind of a pain in the ass and can get disorientation. Lastly there's some spaceship combat. It's not exactly ace combat but still fun and these sections don't outstay their welcome.

Enemies now come in both human and robot versions. As a result weapons are split between ballistic and energy weapons and gives the game some halo style depth. Just like halo however the energy weapons lack the feedback you get from punchier ballistic weapons. The futuristic setting comes with some fun new gadgets including some fun grenades and hacking tools.

The story is the same old CoD hokum. You are basically one of the earth forces and have to fight against an alliance of off works colonies run by Kit Harrington. It's basically Gundam with Jon Snow instead of Char. There's some theme here about how sometimes in war sacrifices have to be made and of course it comes across on bad taste due to glorification of conflict the series revels in.

The mission design doesn't stray too far from the standard CoD set pieces battles for the most part. I was initially disappointed with the first few stages which were very formulaic and was hoping that the far future setting would lead to some interesting battlefields. The game does get a lot better here as the game advances with a standout stage set on an asteroid close to the sun and the battlefield and enemies changing states depending on whether the battlefield is exposed to the sun or not. It's one of the best CoD set pieces.

Overall not a bad slice of action but not the hidden gem that some CoD fans imply that it is.

• Advertisement

GAME || Gears of War 4

PLATFORM || Xbox Series X

I will never play this game on Insane Difficulty ever again. That was the most stressful instalment of the entire series for me, by far. Normally I have a lot of fun playing Gears on the hardest setting but this was cheap.

2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch
    7. Pentiment- Steam Deck

Pentiment

Really unusual game with an art style ripped from early modern europe. I wouldn't say this game is for everyone as its a slow burn. I found it fascinating having studied this in University for my time as a history postgrad.

Felt like there was some agency in it but I wouldn't say its worth a replay from reading online some subtle factors found the persuasion system in it a bit difficult aswell.

On chapter 13 of ff7 rebirth will be glad when its rolled credits its fantastic but bit overlong.

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Tomb raider 1 - PS5

Tomb raider 2 - PS5

Days gone - PS4

Robocop - PS5

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Dark Souls 1

Dark Souls 2

Dark Souls 3

Bloodborne

And there we go. Played all seven of the magnificent seven after starting with Demon’s Souls in January 2023. My most enjoyable period of games since I was a kid. From Software are legends. Bloodborne I found the easiest of the seven but I put that down to experience. In saying that, It had some of the hardest regular enemies in any of the games (the brainsuckers, the lanterns, and the sharks.

I doubt any one will agree with my favourite of the seven…..Sekiro

Not going to fight you there. Its an incredible game. Combat is so good and it feels like From's most finished game. Would be vying for my top spot with Dark Souls 1 but I'd even admit that sekiro bests it in terms of gameplay and mechanics.

2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch
    7. Pentiment- Steam Deck
    8. Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth - PS5

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth

A fantastic game, honestly had to pinch myself and realize that I was actually playing it. Such an achievement for it to be in existence. The combat took a few notes from the intergrade DLC and it is faster again.

Really overall enjoyed it but felt it was overlong same as the first one clocked in around 110 hours on finishing time. Felt the mingame stuff was a bit too much bloat. I have a few sidequests left and the optional superboss.

There is so much content in this but I dare say there is too much. I might go back and mop up the last few sidequests but I think I will have a break from RPGS for a while they are too much of a timesink.

Currently playing Fire emblem awakening on my 3ds LL and I think I will start Prince of Persia the forgotten crown or finish Tunic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,736 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Sekiro was my favourite, and before Elden Ring released I felt that if Elden Ring hit the heights and met the level of expectation there was on it, it'd be a solid No.2 after Sekiro. But halfway through my 2nd playthrough of Elden Ring, it hit me that actually, Elden Ring had to be No.1 for me.

I adore Sekiro. Best action combat mechanics ever created, the boss fights are incredible (and especially since they're designed solely for that combat system rather than multiple different builds like in other Soulsborne games), the world is beautiful and the movement and traversal is terrific. Elden Ring just pips it for me though for the level of choice, the level design, the secrets, and arguably making their most balanced Souls game even while going open world.

But Sekiro is definitely a valid and worthy choice for No.1, and maybe if I replayed it again it might push it back ahead of Elden Ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Fallout New Vegas (PC EGS)

Loved Fallout 3 back on the 360. Put over 100 hours into wandering the wastes, filling out the map and doing all the quests I could find. As much as I enjoyed it though, I got my fill and didn't particularly want to play NV/4/76 when they came out.

The TV show is what eventually pulled me back into the universe, and I'm glad it did. Ended up exploring most places and maxing my stats.

Played great on the Steam Deck. The ease of quick suspend and resume goes well with the gameplay. It crashed a few times when fast traveling but I didn't lose any progress.

88 hours played according to my save file. 1165 hours (and only 1 achievement popped) according to EGS 😜

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Hellblade 2: Senua's Saga

Anthology of the Killer

It was very worthwhile playing these two games in quick succession. On the surface, they couldn't look more different - one an ultra-fidelity AAA game, and the other a game that looks like someone's notebook scribbles come to life. Yet the fact that they're both lightly interactive story games really taught me a lot about what I like and do not like in that format.

I did not like Hellblade 2 very much at all. I liked but didn't love the first one, but does seems like a regression from that game in every way other than technical oomph. It's less focused, more meandering, more simplistic. It fumbles for a thematic thread to build its story around and it's too late by the time it really starts pulling on it. It locks into an aesthethic gamble - a 'one take' gimmick - and becomes a leaden, sluggish trudge as a result, not helped by the fact that much of the interaction involves pushing forward to advance an animation. The more gamey actions - combat and puzzles - are terrible. In some ways, it's meant to be a gruelling slog - a descent into trauma and fresh horrors. But it lands on all sort of clichéd, weak symbolism and video game storytelling tropes to get there. Very little of it holds up to basic scrutiny, and its limitations are many. I admire Ninja Theory's ambition, but am frustrated with their execution. A seven-hour long AAA game with a strong focus on presentation and narrative should be right up my street - this, alas, has enough ideas to justify an hour or two of its runtime, and feels much, much longer than it actually is.

I did like Anthology of the Killer - really liked it, in fact (the IGF judges liked it too, deservedly awarding it the Nuovo prize recently). It too, is lightly interactive - even more so. These now-collected nine short comedy-horror games from Irish developer thecatamites mainly boil down to directing the protagonist - BB - through a series of rooms and corridors, checking out floating eye symbols along the way to trigger the next text / dialogue box. There's occasionally a chase sequence, but I don't think it ever really matters if you get caught.

But within that formula, it's constantly fresh, exciting, funny and gloriously weird. Unlike Hellblade's self-defeating formal rigour, this is a game that only develops a consistent style in order to break from it in endlessly fun, unusual ways. Indeed, the ambition grows with each passing 'episode' of the anthology, shooting off into all sorts of directions and flights of fancy. The lack of focus becomes a major asset here - a way to explore so many ideas in all sorts of ways. It is proudly goofy, but also happy to explore sharp satire about the institutions of modern life (episodes are set in an office, a museum, an immersive theatre experience etc…). It uses the language of video games, cinema and - proudly - zines in order to create punchy, pacy experiences that kept me on my toes throughout. The games range in length from 10-20 mins to around 45-60 mins for two of the later episodes, and I was always excited to dive into the next one. The first one is simple and brief, but was enough to lock me in for episode two - which is where it really starts getting good.

Anthology of the Killer won't be for everyone - it's too silly, janky, idiosyncratic and rambling for that. But if it sounds interesting to you, give it a go - it's only six quid on Itch.io. It made me really excited to see the way creators are still experimenting with basic video game form, just after Hellblade 2 made me frustrated about how far there's left to go.

Final fantasy 16 - PS5

Tomb raider 1 - PS5

Tomb raider 2 - PS5

Days gone - PS4

Robocop - PS5

Chasm the rift - PS5

• Advertisement

2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch
    7. Pentiment- Steam Deck
    9. Tunic- Xbox Series X

Tunic

This caught my eye when it was initially annouced and released. Finally got around to it via gamepass. Loved it, its quite difficult but the feeling of figuring out the puzzles and the manual was a really cool touch. I did look up some hints, via reddit but I stayed away from any guides. Really enjoyed it might go back and try get the true ending with a guide now.

Unsure of what to crack on with next I am either going to finish Diablo 4, start prince of Persia the forgotten crown or give Hellblade 2 a whirl even though its meant to be disappointing.

Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth || PS5

This is probably my game of the year.

I was stuck to it for over two weeks. 80+ hours.

The story is......well it's definitely something 😂 if you haven't played the original FFVII and you've dove into the Remake and Rebirth, you have my sympathies, because even though I have played the original, I'm still f'cking confused 😂 this is gonna require a lot of reading from me to get some context on details I might have missed. But my god I can't wait for the third one.

What a game. But the final boss can suck my duck. Yes - duck.

The last boss was a joke especially the final section jaysus

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)
    21. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS)

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer

The mystery dungeon series has left quite a mark on the modern videogame industry. Chunsoft developed the series as a spin-off of dragon quest featuring the popular DQ4 shopkeeper Torneko. They had chosen to develop the game based on the rpg classic rogue which caused a lot of turmoil within the company. Owing to the dragon quest license, and the game being a lot of fun, it was a. Big success in Japan.

Chunsoft, realising they had a hit series on their hands but also not owning the Dragon Quest IP decided that they would create their own IP, creating their Shiren the Wanderer character and IP for their own use. Chunsoft would farm out the Mystery Dungeon concept to publishers and adapt them to their own IP, most famously the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games, but they could now create mystery dungeon games under their own Shiren the Wanderer IP that they fully owned.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer would receive a fan translation which would end up influencing many of the indie developers of the late 00's who loved Shiren's more approachable take on the rogue genre and lead to the indie scene's love affair with rogue-likes, lites and rogue elements.

Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer is an updated port of the SNES original with a few new features. The game task Shiren to reach the top of Table Mountain. After 30 floors of dungeon exploring he can reach the top of the mountain and uncover the secret of the famed El Dorado.

Like any rogue game, Shiren starts each run at level 1 and must procure items and equipment from the randomly generated dungeons. Death comes quickly to those that aren't careful and will send you back to the starting village losing all you exp and items. Unlike classic rogue, some permanency is introduced as you carry out runs. Towns along the way will identify new items and feature shops, blacksmiths and storage rooms where you can safely store items between runs. Side quests appear that will introduce more permanent features, such as party members, new advances items or new features to each town. If you are having trouble you could just slowly build up some powerful equipment and storm to the games ending, although it's more fun and perfectly feasible to start from scratch.

The main quest is a lot of fun. The game has a way of creating narrative from its randomised components in a way that the best rogue likes can. What sets Shiren apart from the competition is something Chunsoft learned from their time making dragon quest. The bestiary of enemies is superb, many have abilities that can cause you to re-evaluate and strategies what you thought was a solid plan. You can't be complacent here as the enemies always pose a serious danger. Get put to sleep at the wrong moment or lose an important piece of equipment and you can kiss your comfy run goodbye.

Reaching the end of the main quest should take about 20 hours but as with all mystery dungeon games, the real game only starts in the post game. The post game opens up new dungeons to tackle. One continues the main quest to 99 floors. 2 more dungeons open up that represent an even tougher experience than the main quest. Each of these will require you to craft weapons and armour before taking them on otherwise you will have no chance. The grind sounds annoying but honestly the weapon crafting was massively addicting for me. Even with the best armour and weapons you have to be careful because of the devious traps and enemies.

Two further dungeons open that serve as an introduction to two new items that completely change how the game plays. A 'food' dungeon gives you a weapon that turns enemies into their meat. Eating said meat will turn you into that enemy and you can use their special abilities. The other introduces the trap bracelet that lets you pick up traps and use them against enemies. This is the only way to get decent experience from enemies but trap multipliers can reward you with massive experience gains.

Finally the toughest challenge of the game is 99 floor dungeon that sticks to the rules of rogue. You start from lvl 1 and all items must be identified by your own intuition. Needless to say there's a massive amounts of content and all of it is excellent.

What really stands out to me is how the game presents itself. The game has a puzzle mode that teaches you how to play that game and take advantage of its many systems. I love how you can always see the dungeon map as a transparent layer over the main play field. I think the game could have taken advantage of the twin screens of the DS by having the item menu on the bottom screen instead of a world map that doesn't give any useful information. Its a great looking game although I do have one issue here, the DS screen is lower resolution than the SNES and the view is zoomed in meaning you can identify enemies approaching from above or below as fast as in the original game. The DS version has an online component that allows players to reduce you if you die. Of course this is long defunct but you can use an offline password and there is a password generator if you need help. The soundtrack by Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama is absolutely fantastic. It uses a real earworm of a light motif throughout and gets more dark and ominous as you venture deeper into the dungeons.

Honestly I had an absolute blast with this game and got seriously addicted to it. I still haven't finished the final rogue like dungeon but it's probably something I'll return to form a few runs whenever I pick up the DS. Shiren 6 is now on the Switch (I don't see why this won't have a multiformat or at least PC release at some point) and Shiren 5 is on PC if you want to try Shiren on a modern platform. You really should.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Luna84

1. Starfield [Xbox]
    2. Somerville [Xbox]
    3. Planet of Lana [Xbox]
    4. Cocoon [Xbox]
    5. Quantum Break [Xbox]
    6. The Gunk [Xbox]
    7. Grounded: Fully Yoked [Xbox]

Grounded

Brilliant game. Doesn't hold your hand with markers most of the time. You just have to explore to find stuff. I'm finished the game but not finished as there are some things left to do. Extras really as I rolled the credits yesterday and was playing all day today.

2. Baldurs Gate 3-PS5
    3. Tekken 8-PS5
    4. Spiderman 2 -PS5
    6. Sea of Stars -Switch
    7. Pentiment- Steam Deck
    9. Tunic- Xbox Series X
    10. Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown -PS5

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown

Completed this over the course of 10 days or so, a very well made metriodvania. The plot was so so but the combat provided enough of a challenge and the puzzle platforming sections were quite fun too. Also included is a portal skip for challenging puzzle sections that are related to the main story which I thought was a great idea.

Liked the art style too in it not a bad game at all got it for like 20 euro or so.

Undecided what to dig into next maybe Alan wake DLC or I might start dragons dogma 2.

1. Megaman V (GB)
    5. Doom Eternal (PC)
    6. System Shock (2023)
    19. Tomb Raider 3 (PC)
    21. Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer (DS)
    22. Contra 4 (DS)

Contra 4

Contra 4 is a great example of a Developer getting to make a game in a series that they have a lot of passion for and a publisher that couldn't give a F*ck. But first the game, it's excellent. Wayforward managed to absolutely nail the look and feel of classic contra. More modern contra games had become boss rushes but WayForward put a lot of emphasis in the running and gunning sections. As a result it feels like a missing link in the evolution in the series between the NES Contra games and Contra 3/Super Probotector. It looks and sounds fantastic with some truly gorgeous pixel art, as standard from WayForward, and a great Jake Kaufman soundtrack. Stage and boss design is excellent and it even sees the return of the "into the screen" base levels from the first Contra.

Since this is a DS game, the play area is split over the top and bottom of the screen. In a way this is the games best and worst feature. The extra verticality adds a new dimension to the action and many of the bosses are huge and tower over both screens. The issue is that WayForward used the space between the two screens as dead space. It means that anything in the space between the screens will not be visible and before you get used to it it can lead to some frustrating deaths

WayForward were contracted to make Contra 4 to celebrate the series 20th Anniversary. There's obvious love for the series here with lots of callbacks to all the classic games and even some references to other 2D action games like Ghouls and Ghosts and obscure SNES game Majyuuou King of Demons. There's a museum section with information about all the games in the series up to this point. Beating the game unlocks 40 fun mini challenge stages which can unlock further goodies including a great interview with series director since Contra 3 and emulated versions of the NES Contra and Super C. Unfortunately Konami really didn't share the same enthusiasm for the release. Despite it being an excellent and well received game, Konami refused to release the game in Europe. On top of that the packaging quality is exceptionally bad with paper quality of the cover feeling like it was printed at home.

Games Beaten 2024

1. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (3DS)
    2. The House of the Dead Remake (Switch)
    3. Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)
    4. Dragon Quest V (DS)
    5. Paratopic (Switch)
    6. Sonic Advance 3 (GBA)
    7. Metal Slug XX (PS4)
    8. Binding of Isaac: Repentance (Switch)
    9. King of Fighters XIV (PS4)
    10. Binding of Isaac: Eternal Edition (Steam)
    11. We Love Katamari REROLL + Royal Reverie (Switch)
    12. Bravely Default 2 (Switch)
    13. Pokemon Crystal Legacy (GBC)
    14. Pokemon Yellow Legacy (GB)
    15. Pokemon Green, Transl Hack (GB)
    16. Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Suck it, nerds. I'm having a better year than all y'all.

You're getting through a lot of dragon quest!

• Advertisement

It's either that or therapy and I've made my choice.

Advertisement