Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farm jeep/crewcab.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The 2.5. You were referencing the 1.9? I've no experience of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Danny healy ray

I have a 08 hilux myself some bus I do say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tikka16751

You were leaping on a pajero in Dublin in 2021 making some money from Ukrainians fleeing war that are gone skiing to Ukraine this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Have a cruiser of the same vintage from new. Couldn't part with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Plenty of the Asian specs and certainly all African specs have none of that emissions stuff.

I think some African specs are still even using mechanical injection or at least they were until recently.

Emissions management systems have ruined commercial vehicles to an extent here in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Bazzer007

I have an auto 2017 L200 and find the turning circle fine. I like them & the 2.4 is a nice engine. Haven't heard horror stories about that engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭ginger22

Have a 3.2 Ranger and a 2.5 Dmax here. The Ranger has more power but the Dmax is more comfortable on the road. As regards reliability, couldn't fault either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

If your going for a hilux get the pre 16 , three litre or skip and go for the 2.8 that came in 21. Don’t buy anything in between if you need it for towing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Silverdream

The op is talking about a sub €30k jeep, so in the €25-30k region you are looking at 2017 to 2019 vehicles. A quick look on dd and there's some really nice Nissans and Rangers to be got, even the higher spec Wildtrack rangers. No way would I be looking at one a 1.9 DMax against those two.

I have few jeeps I do be here and there with workers etc I didn't start the war in Ukraine and I hope to god it finishes sometime soon makes a few pound out of keeping Ukraine yes but would be grand without too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Ques why are’nt small 3.5t cattle trucks like the Iveco Daily more popular here? Can be driven on B licence, more economical than a crew cab dragging a trailer and probably cheaper to buy and repair? This is an old one

https://machineryauctions.stags.co.uk/lot-details/index/catalog/68/lot/19796/2011-IVECO-DAILY-35C15-LIVESTOCK-LORRY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

If you're looking I have a 192 Ranger Wildtrack for sale for 25k+vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You might be mistaken for a calf tangler driving that Iveco, strong farmers, drive jeeps and crew cabs 😊.

Slightly off topic, would four 500kg bullocks fit in a 10x 6 trailer.

A jeep is an all round sort of a tool compared to the handy cattle lorry. You can use it as a daily runaround, tow a trailer, you've 4wd for land work and bad lanes ect, do the school run, go to a wedding or a funeral in it and so on.

If you've good loading facilities then they should fit, if the first one stands crossways at the front then you'll get the other 3 side to side behind him. I've a 12x6 and you'll put 5 of those stores on it with ease and 6 with a bit of luck and perseverance. The problem usually arises when the trailer is 10x5"9 as opposed to 10x6 and the bullocks are pushing for 600kg average.

bit tight I'd make to runs 500kg cattle making nice money right disasters if one go hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Ya that was something I meant to ask aswell actually. 2.8 are out of my budget anyway and I'd be wary enough of the lower displacement engines which is why I started the thread. A lot of the 3.0 getting rusty now too. Have had landcruisers for the last 12 years so I'd find it hard to shift away from Toyota but if I thought there was something better I would. Need the seats and would rather be able to keep the feed bags and dog and stuff like that in the pickup too. I know they wouldn't be as comfy as a landcruiser and a bit more awkward too. Wouldn't be doing mental mileage, just farm is very fragmented and spread over 8 miles so a lot of moving cattle around in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Who2

You’ll still get the 3 litre with a good chassis but I’d say you’ll need to head over the other side of the country.

I lived on the west coast for a while and you would nearly see the rust forming on steel as you stood there.

I’ve one here that I love driving and in fairness bad no real issue only I changed the clutch and got a genuine(apparently) but I’d say the box it came in was all that was genuine as it has never has been right.

I’ll go to the 2.8 next but I’ll stay with what I have for a while as I can’t justify buying new, currently in the low 60’s for an invincible specced the way I want. It would kill me between dirt and bangs from farming to spend that sort of money.

I don't have any experience of the newer type Ranger but I'd look into one if I was in you're position. I'm talking about an 18 or 19 reg 3.2 one as a quick scout on donedeal shows them coming in just under €30k in general. Any of the complaints I heard about them were concerning the 2.2 version. A good few of the cow men about here run them and a 14 or 16 foot trailer with a load of beef cows and bulls daily is as good a test as any imo. You're probably talking another €8k or €10k and maybe more to buy a similar Hilux I'd imagine.

Seeing as milage isn't a huge concern then you could probably stomach a bit extra in fuel costs and I've yet to hear anyone complaining about the 3.2 lacking power. Those 2.8 Hilux's aren't renowned for being misers on diesel anyway so there probably isn't much in the difference in that regard. As regards manual or automatic I wouldn't be able to answer that but a lot of lad's praise the auto box. What it would be like in a field or a tight slippy lane way loaded would be one of my concerns but I've no experience of it either way.

One of the biggest gripes I have about the Ranger and modern pickups in general is there gone into a real Yank tank in recent year's. There pushing 17 and 18 foot long now and coupled with a 14 foot trailer you've not far off 40 foot all in. I'd imagine there's lots of confined spots in you're country too and it takes a bit of maneuvering to get about. There's too much trim and plastic on the Ranger especially, it's grand till you give it a rub of a stone wall ditch or similar and it's hanging off or leaving a void where it once was. The Ranger's seem to be highly speced in general which is a bonus if you're into those things. I'd say there fairly comfortable which would be important coming from the Cruiser as there like being at home in the bed especially the lwb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

My reason would be it's an awful looking yoke, if i had to look at that thing every morning i'd pack it all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,513 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You will get 3X700 kg bullocks in a 10X5 so I would imagine you would easy enough. Can get 5X400 kgs easy enough as well.

Every box has its limits. A lot depends on tge breed of cattle a mixture is easier to.load often than a balanced bunch

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

How long do you intend keeping it? Hilux will be dearer day one but will hold its value very well too if you were to sell it on again

If you intend keeping it until it dies that is different ..

I'd say there's very few lad's buy a fresh 5 year old jeep with the intention of keeping it until it dies. Usually those sort of lad's like to stay in a fairly modern yolk and will trade again within a few year's. The man that buys a yolk with the intention of driving it till it stops is starting with a much lower budget and allowing for an odd midsized repair bill in most cases.

A man locally went from a 02 to a 192 Hilux recently. He had the 02 model from 2006 and it would have a power of work done but I can't think of many more with the same track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Auto be the way to go with towing maybe. Hard to see value in most of the yokes for sale at any age really, but giving out isn't likely to change it.

Was searching a bit as well for second hand and an Indian brand came up on an aussie YouTube channel, Mahindra. Looked an alright thing for farm work and selling for half the price of a hilux out there. Engine is euro 6 but doesn't seem to be any sign of them out this way. The aussies seem fond of em anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have a 04 LC LWB here. About €400 ish gets it thro the test. Find it a mighty all rounder between towing, fields and even the school run (not sure if the missus would be too keen in bringing it to a wedding though). I’d go for the LWB as handy for 6’ stakes and the crowbar in the back

a hoor on juice though.

Post edited by Dunedin on

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I have a 17 reg hilux for the past 4 and a half years. I went from an 05 landcruiser . The step down in power is very noticeable, the 3 litre torque was great. I find the hilux is far steadier and the leaf springs carry a trailer far better. It feels more underpowered during normal driving but actually has nice gearing and torque band when towing..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Everyone has different opinions regarding auto gearboxes.

In the LC, I prefer the manual for towing where the revs can be kept down and use the engines torque for towing. Much easier on diesel that way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Limestone are you in a big rush to change? Reason I ask is when London put the £10 per trip on diesel cars a lot of them got sold off very cheap. This might happen again in other large cities over there putting a glut of 4x4 vehicles on the market. Importing from Japan might be an option again too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Advertisement