Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭nonetheless

A really good radio PD or consultant would take the current exodus of these presenters at 2fm and use it as an opportunity to try something new, address the radio station's overall programming and sound as opposed to replacing like with like. Even if they were to keep all of those names that have exited, 2fm's audience share is not good. They can't really go down the AC/MOR/RTE Gold road as although not legally, there is an expectation as a public service broadcaster that 2fm should cater to a young audience whilst RTE Radio 1 provides for an older one. It's how effectively and efficiently 2fm can target that audience. Are they capable of real change? Do they want to change? And if so, do they have the right people in place to that and do it successfully? Unfortunately from my point of view I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭Tork

Is being a youth station really a public service in 2024? For many years it was, simply because it was the only legal pop music station around. That demographic is well catered for now, nationally. Once you move past the 15-35 age bracket or whatever it is these days, you're into a varied market. Somebody who's 40 or 45 is unlikely to share the same musical tastes as a 55 or a 60 year old, let alone older. Yet Radio 1 is supposed to keep all these people happy? The kids who grew up with 2FM in its heyday aren't well catered for by commercial radio now, especially outside of the cities. Would that not be a public service, seeing as nobody else seems to want them?

Although I personally don't agree, some may argue that folks who were generally catered for by 2fm in it's heyday are now serviced by RTE Gold. But in my opinion RTE Gold's playlist maybe misinterpreted as being comprehensive compared to the other Irish AC/MOR/Classic Hits radio stations when it really is highly fragmented and of course it is not available on FM. I do believe that RTE - whether it's through Gold or some other service could be offering a more comprehensive music service to cater for that 40-55 age group that you mentioned. There are also others who would feel very strongly that RTE Gold should be left as it is. In my opinion 2fm does not need to be under the definition of CHR, rather it could adopt a unique US style HotAC sound with a carefully selected CHR element and presentation. And yes, RTE Radio 1 alone does not service the music needs of that older audience.

RTE Gold is only online though and it doesn't have the profile of 2FM. I think Gold would have an instant audience if it was switched to FM and they didn't mess around too much with the formula. In other words, no sticking talk shows into the middle of it or having the content veer too wildly about the place. Really though, we're just playing Fantasy Radio Stations here. You just know Dan Healy is going to continue down the road he's on, no matter how many times it blows up in his face.

This is a rather odd quote from the same article "There’s a lot of support for Lottie. While it’s not support for Lottie per se but more the issue. People in there really detest anyone being treated badly. And she has been treated deplorably,’ revealed the source."

It doesn't suggest that they're clamouring for her return (is anyone?) but he is in danger of turning her into an unlikely martyr. I don't think she's good enough to be presenting a national radio show but she should never have been promoted to this position. Was there any sort of plan when he gave her the gig? I assume that photo of her and David O'Reilly was taken after their pairing was announced?

• Advertisement

It looks like she was led to believe that it was her gig but they were really looking for a more high profile replacement for the 2 Johnnies. Kevin Backhurst is also involved here as he is effectively wielding an axe to all of those extra perks that those presenters were availing of or could potentially benefit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That Extra article looks like very typical 'agent spin' if I'm honest - Now, when all these people announced they were cutting ties with the beautiful Mr Kelly, I'm just not convinced that is the case -

We had Ciara Kelly, Ciara Doherty and Lotto Ryan (and others) dumping Mr K, however, I doubt it's that easy to dump the little fella. He does like his contracts after all and very little seems to have changed with the puff piece output in the daily rags since

The little fella, in a fine but angry voice: ♫ ♪ ♬ ♩ 'You were working as a waitress in a cocktail bar…when I met you…'♫ ♪ ♬ ♩

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭supereurope

I thought it was clear at the time that Lottie and David were summer cover for Drivetime and they didn't have the slot permanently. I mean, that's what it said in the papers, so I assume the two knew that as well? That they've been pulled so quickly suggests that listener figures must have plummeted or feedback was terrible, normally new presenters or presenter combinations are given a few months to bed in. I remember listening to Dermot and Dave in their early shows on 98FM in 2003 and they were awful, but they grew into the roles. Pulling new presenters after three weeks suggests something is seriously wrong.

Goes to show how irrelevant Tubridy has become, that the thread has turned into one about Lottie Ryan!

• Advertisement

Again, look I am not a fan and I would not dispute that it could have well been a misunderstanding or her part regarding that slot, her purpose and its duration. However, it would be highly appropriate and a display of good faith to notify her first and put her on notice of her replacement. If that did not happen, it does really question RTE's internal basic communication skills and it's ability to act professionally. If we consider negative feedback, falling listenership figures and the fact that there maybe something seriously wrong in terms of presentation, it is also apparent that the subject of this very thread is not doing great radio either and comes from that very same institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Even RTE has entered into a Post-Tubridy era.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/late-late-show-and-fair-city-to-be-made-outside-rte-in-post-ryan-tubridy-plan/a2061651285.html

Tubridy may still be toxic in RTE. That would work against him being rehired. Then again, it is RTE. The Lottie Ryan piece seems like standard puff piece complete with unnamed sources and shocked thousands. The interesting thing about the coverage on Tubridy is that it went from supportive in the Sindo/Indo to an "in passing" kind of coverage. It didn't offer him a column in the Sindo.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

"People in there really detest anyone being treated badly."

"‘That belief has been exposed as a charade. ‘Why bother going to college, doing all the donkey work, when all you have to do is have a few followers on TikTok. It’s despicable and totally demoralising.’"

I don't believe in this scenario at all. I refuse to believe anyone could be this entitled, it's attempted media spin by someone clueless.

Led to believe? It's either in the contract or not in the contract. There's no "treating people badly" in this sort of situation.

Pile of shite if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭yagan

Lottie has been on 2fm for years and was still awful.

The downsizing is on and pointless furniture is being skipped.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Apparently he is on holidays next week, and Vogue Williams is filling in.

I presume it will be one of the Q102 DJs on this side of the water. That's grand, I will be able to listen to them.

Vogue Williams? Have the listeners not suffered enough?

If Vogue still living in Dublin, they will probably do the simulcast from Q102.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oh I hadn't thought of that. Ah well.

They could top it all off by pairing up Vogue and Lottie. The Dynamic Duo🙄

What is absolutely crazy is that the folks that work at Virgin Radio UK actually have no idea as to who Vogue Williams is and they also didn't know who Tubridy was.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"People in there really detest anyone being treated badly."

What it actually meant to say was;

"RTÉ 'Celebrities'/Talent in there really detest RTÉ 'Celebrities'/Talent being treated badly."

‘Why bother going to college, doing all the donkey work, when all you have to do is have a few followers on TikTok. It’s despicable and totally demoralising.’"

And is this statement in that article really trying to infer that Lottie 'did all the donkey work, studied in college etc..' but is now losing out to someone who didn't do all of that, but is simply more 'popular' online..?

Are they genuinely trying to say that Lottie is in RTÉ on the back of her own hard graft, and it's nothing to do with her father being one of it's biggest stars? (despite him dying of a drug overdose, and as it turned out had been an addict for years, running up massive debts due to his addiction).

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭yagan

If only Tubridy was so lucky. Apparently it was all a big misunderstanding about Lottie and the gig was only for five weeks.

https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/lottie-ryan-speaks-out-after-speculation-she-was-axed-from-new-2fm-show/a338451415.html

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Sounds like backtracking to me... Wonder if Kayleigh Trappe will be filling the slot now, looked definit in the article a couple of days ago.

RTE may have learned from how the Tubridy payments scandal was handled. The five week thing seems odd but if they are going for a kind of try-out on the programme then they may go through a number of presenters to see which one plays best. RTE Radio 1 did something similar with the 09:00 slot when it had to replace Tubridy.

Regards…jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Lottie is in the news saying she knew it was 5 weeks all along.

Presumably they'll ultimately pick who they think is best.

At least we still have 0 weeks of Tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

sounds like Lottie has problems counting to 5

Tubridy in flying form this AM - heading to Taylor Swift and sure she may even tailor the setlist especially for the A lister and include hits such as Don't Blame Me, Look What You Made Me Do, Would've Could've Should've, Me, I Hate It Here, Guilty As Sin? Anti Hero, Snow On The Beach, We Are Never Getting Back Together or maybe even So Long, London. I'm sure Ryan will report back to listeners and say that it was a joy!!

Another Paul McCartney reference and movies that bombed at the box office but are later accepted as classics. Referenced a Beatles movie but couldn't remember it's director and then went into spluttering engine mode. Another link destroyed and left in pieces on the floor at the top of the tower.

Sign off signature: SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE!! - It's really just all about death.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Of course he's going to Taylor Swift. If opening crisp packets became unmissable mass appeal moments, he would be photographed with bags of Tayto on the daily….

I really hope Tubs makes an appearance on stage at Russell Crowe's musical interlude in July, a bit like James Corden singing live with Cold Play. He could even belt out 'Nothing compares to you' - It's a little known fact that he was a great friend of Sinead O' Connor's of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭GSF

He’s a week late - Taylor Swift played London last weekend

Advertisement