Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

Was that poster not suggesting 'the troops' are the other clients of NK, chiming in to wish Tubridy well, as part of the NK service?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

See where you're coming from regarding Mr Kelly.

Or you could also say that his client, who used to be on air in Ireland for a max 8hrs per week for €500,000, is now working in London (with the expense that incurs) for reportedly a fifth of that amount for twice the amount of hours.

To say he's done well for his client is perhaps looking on the bright side a little?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,293 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Anyone know where yesterday's gift grub can be heard?

edit: found it;

Wow: They nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭TheBMG

There was a poster earlier suggesting that perhaps Tubs (not unlike the fire and brimstone preachers on Mexican AM border blasters in the 1930s) was in fact buying the airtime on Virgin Radio to stay in the limelight. How bizarre how bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He is a shite broadcaster. Always has been. This is the work of a brilliant agent and reflects nothing of Tubridy talent. nk should be getting more than 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

No. I meant the people that are being paid to post positive BS about Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Heard him advertising his new column on RTE radio this morning.. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Field east

Your list of those five achievements is quiet impressive until one starts to think only ‘a little bit’ about them.

• the private sector is not risk adverse so it is taking a punt with someone who MAY be of help to them for VERY LITTLE money to add to their profit line - so why would’nt they take the risk an see how it goes. If there is a loss it would be only pennies to them

• all of them are only starting so we will have to sit and see how each will turn out
    • the Independant gig was predictable given the support RT has been getting from there from the get-go. I’d say that the suggestion came from the paper rather than from the Kelly camp.
    • how big an achievement was the acquiring of the sponsorship - was there not a personal relationship there already ? Am wondering how hard did Kelly have to work to get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Morgans

Everyone thought; that's it, the end. 

No one did. The end in RTE maybe.

I agree that Tubridy is an investment for Kelly. And Kelly's 'skill' is in his relationship with Dee Forbes, who has not appeared before any committee, and has been pointed at by several RTE senior managers as the person responsible for Ryan's set up in RTE. Who knows what Dee Forbes was getting from this relationship?

So, yes, the worse Tubridy is, the better Noel Kelly is in securing employment, just as when he was able to take advantage of a very generous RTE approach. The relationship between NK clientele and Late Late Show probably could be looked into as it would seem to raise the profile of multiple NK clients.

I accept that NK is doing his job for Tubridy. However, this thread was about Tubridy's skills as a broadcaster. That posters contributing to these threads, hoping to close them down even, are not Tubridy Fans per se, but doing so at the behest of those seeking to protect their investment in Tubridy is well established by now.

So you can understand how outlining NKs brilliance, while giving 'balanced Tubridy reviews' against others who pile on would raise red flags. It may be that you aren't a shill, but others have been and spoil the environment for the genuine hard core Noel Kelly fanboys on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭mykrodot

Oh FFS, is there no end to Ryan Tubridy??

I was so sick of listening to the whole debacle for most of last Summer and what I would see as huge arrogance on the part of Tubridy in not giving back the 150K and persistently saying he knew nothing, it was his auditors............so I was just thrilled when he went to the UK. I was hoping it was the back of him and we could move on. (he has proven himself to be a one trick pony with very few strings to his bow apart from "books")

Yet he pops up on everything ......on Facebook, my news feed on Google , newspapers........and now he's back on Newstalk this morning on every ad break promoting HIMSELF in the Daily Mail!

I can't even listen to his voice anymore. There is no remorse, no less arrogance, he seems to completely believe in his own hype, that everyone loves him (AKA the middle aged women of Ireland), God it makes me sick. I can deal with him being in the UK but if we are getting daily shots of Ryan Tubridy on our own stations here in Ireland in the form of self promotion I'll just have to listen to podcasts. I find him insufferable, he seems to think he is the High King of Ireland and we are all lost without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

I would agree that NK has done a great job for his clients, the problem is that for the most part it has been at the expense of license fee payers. Hopefully that has changed now. I don't think RT has a lot of fans personally, I have not met anyone who is a fan (obviously haven't asked everyone I met!) which given he was supposedly the best broadcaster in Ireland, seems a bit weird. I think he has been promoted by his agent well beyond his abilities. NK keeps him in the news with the help of a compliant media, where RT "reveals" he is going for a walk in Connemara or some other rubbish. I think we are all being gaslit. I am paying the license fee now, if he comes back to RTE I will stop.

For RTE to move on, I would like to see them trim down significantly. Most people consume media through streaming services now. I don't even have access to RTE other than the player (less said the better). They are still working with a 20th century model, the world has moved on. We need some public service broadcasting, but it doesn't need to be as big/expensive as RTE currently is. Get rid of things like 2FM and soaps like Fair City, they aren't public services. I know a lot of people will disagree, mainly those who work in the so called "creative" sector which exists in the same habitat as RTE. If RTE is trimmed down, the license fee could be reduced. I don't think it should be centrally funded as they would have their entire families working there.

To draw a line under the whole fiasco, get rid of Fair City. There could be a plot with a serial killer on the loose, killing all the fair city lifers one by one. It would be an exciting end to a rubbish soap. In the final episode the identity of the serial killer would be revealed to be... Ryan Forbes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Some men are incapable of emotionally dealing with men who are more successful than they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

if we are getting daily shots of Ryan Tubridy on our own stations here in Ireland in the form of self promotion I'll just have to listen to podcasts.

I don't think he'll be popping up in Newstalk ad breaks for the rest of his life...

His "successful" period was paid for with a tax unwilling enforced on all of us. If you define "success" as how much he is earning, I am a lot more successful than him currently.

He is the most visible representation of nepotism in RTE.

I think it was the thieving that bothered most. Not the ‘success’ that was handed to him without him ever earning a second of it.

€150,000 just can’t be ignored or ever forgotten. It will follow him wherever he goes for as long as he lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Failed marriage, failed relationships, the quintessential 'nepo-baby' who couldn't hold on to his job and exposed as fraud and reputation in tatters, talentless and deluded in equal measure with a strong stench of desperation coming through the radio every time he opens his mouth.

Yeah, this guy is very successful, really winning at life.

moderator: Higgins5473 was warned for this.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

Better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

• Advertisement

I would suggest that his "supporters" on here are those who benefit from the type of nepotism that RT has benefited from and feel threatened by people calling it out. Just my own "analysis", similar to yours above.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Bringing a bit of clarity, rationality and nuance to this thread doesn’t make one a “Tubster”.

Some of the stuff here has gone into the realm of fantasy. No harm in calling it out for what it is. Online anger orgies are messy.

Didn't the DG go behind the back of the CFO to make the payment? I feel this would be bordering on the edge of legality in a public company, I am no expert, I just feel there may have been a bit more made of it if it had not been a state owned company and that Dee Forbes may have a bit more to answer for.

Contractually guaranteed should Renault not be able to pay the 150K for a service provided (MC for PR events) completed by Tubs. Essentially underwriting Renault with public purse.

Not

150K each year whether he provided the service or not.

Edit: Of course, there are many who think that there was never going to be any events, and this was a method to give Tubridy 150K a year given his so selflessly had his salary cut in solidarity with the efforts during COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Jesus, just listened to 5 minutes. Its painful stuff. He's just after calling the house of lords a bunch of S&M perverts (not literally but not far off). Then read out a few emails saying how great he is before getting lost on a comment about joining him on the bus or in a car if you prefer? The music is all from the 90's, is that part of the show format?

Surprised you want to keep taking about it. Wouldn’t have thought that would be part of the plan.

Didn’t he say he would pay it back to the people of Ireland whom he owes it to ?

• Advertisement

And Renault didn’t pay so RTÉ were contractually obliged to pay it. Do you guys know how contracts work?

Advertisement