Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭DaithiMa

Ah the famous 100k nephew. Was wondering when he'd be rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

One of his jokes on that "Callan kicks the year" was quite good as I am sure you will agree.

"Noel Kelly was like Jerry Maguire : Show me the money! and Ryan Tubridy was like Dougal Maguire: What's money Ted?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Conor Moore? Seriously? Wouldn’t agree with that at all.

Conor does excellent comical, and sharp-witted, skits of popular sports stars and a wide range of famous actors. Even going beyond the world sports and entertainment into the political “sphere”.

All very “current” and he doesn’t rely on the same, tired, impressions over and over.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

That was actually the only piece of the show that made me chuckle. I didn’t even crack a smile for the rest of it, and I’ve a tremendous sense of humour so I can recognise good comedy when I see/hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not even when the Burkes were dragged out of court again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

Oh buddy you’ve just been caught rotten. Quit digging. Maybe just disappear for a while

Haven’t a clue about what you are on about mate. You’ve lost me. Bit of context maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

I was visiting my parents and they had it on. Far be it from me to tell them what to watch. In fairness they agreed it was absolutely shïte as well. My dad said it was even worse than Mr Brown’s Boys. Which is pretty damning.

I’d never actually go out of my way to listen or watch Callan’s Kicks. My life is too busy and there’s just too much choice these days. Hate listening wouldn’t be my thing. Find it all rather bizarre if I’m being perfectly honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So is Conan O Brien a big deal? I recognise his name and see online he's been visiting his ansestral home. And will be on the LLS later.

Would Tubs have loved having this guy on? American. Tv personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭HBC08

How busy is your life when you have more posts on this thread than any other poster?

You claim you don't hate watch or hate listen yet you seem to have heard and seen more of Oliver Callan than most.....and have very strong feelings on him.

The anger and seething rage from your posts is disturbing.

You are hate posting and hate scrolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,981 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I'm not a huge Callan fan , and i would say 35 mins of the hour was decent, considering how shite everything else is

Anger isn’t an emotion I experience very often tbh, and I certainly wouldn’t be getting angry about radio shows or the opinions of others on the internet. I actually don’t care about the opinions of others tbh. Water off a duck’s back for me.

I also take regular exercise, meditate, and have a wide circle of friends and family. That minimises anger, irritability and jealousy.

If you chuckled then it's at least better than Mrs brown

That good that you have some hobbies.

You follow the same pattern on here for years,

This includes severe anger issues especially towards middle aged men,extra points for middle aged white men bizarrely enough.You get angrier and more wound up over a period of 6 months to a year,have a meltdown,get banned and rereg.

I closed my last account because an absolutely deranged lunatic in current affairs sent me a message indicating he knew where I lived. He was since banned and I hope he’s getting the professional help he needed. Wasn’t banned.

I do think it would be very sad to get angry with the opinions of anonymous strangers on a dying message board that peaked in popularity about 15 years ago and is now mostly visited by middle-aged men. You seem to think I do but I really don’t. It’s the internet. I’ve never read a single post or a tweet or a blog that changed my mind about anything. This place is treated with the levity it deserves.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭yagan

They've got the eye on the prize, a regular column for the Toyman in Ireland Own.

• And besides you wouldn’t have enough hours in the day to be monitoring Boards posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So not any any social media outside of X but Tubs show isn't really driving the tweetmachine. Most of the tweets are from Irish people (many disgruntently, and few really saying anything much) but there is very few comments from UK listners

Usually this would make a new article on RSVP

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

There's a couple of posters firing off posts today like their lives depend on it. Funnily enough, both of them seem to have dedicated most of the day to it. But they've succeeded in dragging the thread off topic, and probably doing a good attempt to get the thread closed, on the basis of it having lost its way.

I suggest posters think hard before getting trolled.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

On the issue of Tubridy and his agent making a "big success" of things with the Virgin gig, the column, the syndication and this being a good barometer of Tubridy's inherent high value as an in-demand media personality etc........ time will tell.

I would be more inclined to swallow that narrative had Tub's moved to what many would have perceived as his natural home in the UK, BBC radio, for a suitably eye watering contract with suitably little airtime or responsibilities to boot. But he didn't. He hung around for 6 months while his agent got him into very small beer station, for a salary a fraction of his old one and with a workload multiples of anything he's had to cope with before.

If anything his " big success" is just the bare bare minimum you would expect from a man who was Ireland's leading broadcaster and highest paid on air presenter. To be quite honest, the Virgin gig would be more befitting a young guy or girl 20 years his junior. Would Gay Byrne, Gerry Ryan, Pat Kenny et al, ie former RTE highest paid people, have walked out of Montrose at 50 years old to go to the UK to do what Tubridy is doing now? And if they did, would it be seen as a success?

Also, the idea that he would end up on the street with a brown paper bag shouting at the sky was never a realistic prospect and none of us who believe he was purely a product of nepotism and latterly "the golden circle" would ever have expected that his media career would just end immediately. Ryan Tubridy is a trademark, a brand that obviously has value after 20 plus years front and centre of Irish life. Of course some media company was going to take him on to see if there was an audience there that could be capitalized on. Of course some UK outfit would look at his enviable CV and think "This guy's got something, I mean look at the jobs he's had over there. Maybe he's the new Wogan. Can we get him cheap? We can? Lets try him!"

The proof in the pudding is...time. If Tub's is still on UK radio and writing that column in 12 months, I will go to my menswear retailer and eat every hat in the place. My money is on a return to RTE in one to two years? Why? Because Tubridy has no scrupples and no shame and will bite Bakhurst's hand off with any offer he gets. He is desperate for a return to the La La Land that is Irish public service broadcasting. And RTE are, and always will be, a basketcase that will look after their own. As a previous poster said, FF wrecked the country and sent 100s of thousands of young people abroad and yet they now sit in government and much is forgotten. By contrast, 150k and financial cute hoorism is easily forgotten in a couple of short years.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I get the impression his research team at Virgin is skeletal. Why hasn't he had comedian Jarlath Regan on? He's running the London marathon and organising a comedy gala at London Irish Centre in Camden to support Kidney Care UK. Seven years since he gave a kidney to his brother is surely worth a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,331 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Tubs show isn't really driving the tweetmachine...there is very few comments from UK listners

That might signify he's doing enough to justify his existence. As long as he isn't driving UK listeners to switch off or over in their droves that may be good enough for Virgin...

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It's really going to be interesting to see what Virgin Radio's audience make of this show. The fact that there seems to be very little information out there on what their thoughts are is peculiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Conan was a big deal once upon a time, less so now. I think Tubs based a lot of his style on Conan. If you watch Conan's 90s show clips on YouTube you'll see what I mean. It's like he apes his mannerisms and physicalities, and tries to be a charming in a similarly buffoonish way, but it worked for Conan, who at least had some impressive accomplishments to his name, less so for Ryan who has the charm of a second hand toilet seat. I reckon the younger generation have never heard of either Conan or Tubridy, and don't care about either. I wish Conan well because he wrote some great Simpsons episodes and also has some legendary interactions with Norm MacDonald on his chat show, whereas I hate Tubridy and everything he represents.

Advertisement