Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭animalinside

I wouldn't be surprised if there was some famous historical set of letters to a newspaper at home something along those lines trinners types all know about that Tubridy thinks he's emulating with this. I skimmed over the first one and have no notion of reading any more - every bloody week? It's genuinely creepy, people will know more about Tubridy's life than their own family. How does he imagine he'll keep coming up with material? I know his confidence knows no bounds but surely anyone can see this is a bad idea, I'm sure he will give up after a few weeks, maybe do it irregularly then.

Good point. Bird was very honest in that respect, maybe to the point of naivity. Tubridy might actually become miserable as well but I don't know - I think he gets a massive high off of feeling superior to all the plebs, no matter what happens he's not going to question himself like a normal thinking person, he'll go on blissfully lacking any self-awareness.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The though of actually having to work for your money, in a cutthroat company where not everything is handed to you on a plate probably terrifies him

His current gig isn't real work though, he doesn't even have to pick the records. If he got into the BBC, well that's no more cuthroat than RTE. I still think if he could pick out his dream career path from here it would be a high-profile slot at BBC Radio 2 (assuming it pays similar to what he was getting at RTE in his pomp, which I imagine it would) rather than going back to RTE. After all the latter would just be going back over old ground, he's gone as far as possible there for a broadcaster of his stripe...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Well my thoughts were - for such a supposedly well-read man, is that the best you can do! Then I switched channels to something I enjoy listening to. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Absolutely. There's no doubt in my mind that this London business is an absolute trauma for Tubs. I could see him waking up at night in a cold sweat dreaming about that "all is forgiven" offer from Bakhurst for €180k and how he shot himself in both feet and somehow ended up in England...........working with...........English people! It's nightmare fuel to the poor guy!

From those MoS columns, it's as if he's a particularly sheltered and poorly travelled 20 year old student living away from home in a new city, in a new country. Even for a fella who's stock and trade was always folksy Ireland's Own level observations, it's bizarre stuff for 2024 when half the mother's in Ireland have a child living in Australia.

As for a future move to the BBC, couldn't see it happening. There's only one route for Tubs out of Virgin and that's the plane back to Dublin. He has what should be a daily walk in the park on that 10am slot. On paper, considering his CV, it's levels below what he did at RTE. But he's not even convincing at that. No one at the BBC would give a serious radio slot to Tubridy where conversation, broadcasting ability and interview skills are required. We're so long subjected to him at home, they made us believe he was a talented tv and radio man. He wasn't. He isn't. He's an invention of a rotten system at the state broadcaster, nothing more. I'm convinced that will be hammered home in the very near future when this Virgin gig is whipped out from under him.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Amen to that post. I agree 100% with you. There are so many more like him still over-gainfully employed in Montrose that nothing has changed (or ever will) .

Considering his tech op at Virgin would be paid £14 per hour (Harry's last show with him is tomorrow before he is replaced) - you must realise this is stadiums away from the "senior hurling" - its more like senior level smoke and mirrors.

Can anyone think of similar circumstances in the past?

Piers Morgan perhaps? He is better known but again had few options after GMTV it would be GBTV or... News UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Curiosity got the better of me so I listened back. Aside from the laughing being completely tasteless, he genuinely seemed to have no idea about the history behind Boney M and Milli Vanilli miming etc. and was just reading off the cue cards as usual. Whoever wrote them must not have included (or known about) the CD skipping thing with Milli Vanilli, and as music history probably isn't something that Tubridy "chain smokes books" about he wouldn't know either so didn't throw in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I'd bet if rte asked home to come back for free he'd be back in a heartbeat.

It's all smoke and mirrors with tubs. Trying very hard to convince himself and anyone else willing to listen/read that life for a middle aged man, who really prefers monkstown and Montrose, is great.

Delusional.

Is there one topic..........one topic at all, that Tubs could ad lib about from a position of deep knowledge? Even shallow knowledge? I cannot remember an instance where something like this cropped up and he was able to pull out some gems from his back pocket.

You might as well go down the bookies and collar a fella watching the 12.10 from Doncaster and stick a pair of earphones on him. I guarantee you'd get better radio patter.

I don't recall anything substantive really, just him veering off cue cards to give us various anecdotes about people coming up to him in the street, or some other way to bring whatever he was talking about back to be about him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maybe JFK at a stretch….. he apparently wrote a book about JFK’s visit to Ireland…

so maybe that would be his chosen subject ones, ahem…! Mastermind! JFK’s visit to Ireland…

I wonder how easy it was for him to ‘write’ that JFK book given he probably had access to every last scrap of archival material RTÉ hold relating to the visit….

• Advertisement

He did, https://www.dubraybooks.ie/product/patrick-and-the-president-pb-9781406378856

I have it on good authority that the UCD School of English, Drama and Film will be running a module on this in the next academic year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

An ad for Virgin Radio UK popped up on my phone yesterday. It was showcasing their presenters. It went: Evans, Norton, some English guy I didn't recognise them looped round again. Surely the target ad to my Irish IP address would be pushing their new Irish signing?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Q102 is a radio people turn on to escape RTE types and general chit chat.

It's just meant to be easy music with hourly news bulletins.

As said his show is out of place there.

I can't wait to see if Q102 will continue to broadcast his show even when there is a stand in. Surely this breaches their licence.

The best thing about all of this is that somewhere down the country, in a small little village in the back of beyond, there’s a group of folk planning their St. Patrick’s Day Parade float, and just like the Lidl looting incident, or the ATM attacks, I feel this whole situation will be forever immortalised in a St. Patrick’s Day parade float….

Ill be disappointed if it doesn’t contain at least an effigy of Tubs, a Renault 5, RTÉ & a boogeyman who’ll be handing out Cadburys Hero’s chocolates to the kiddies…

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

I got an AI generated crypto advert scam of Tubs in the Virgin studios talking about Anne Doyle letting slip some irish investment advice. It was hilarious, but I am annoyed I did not try to record it. I reported it to google and later in the day got an automated email they they could not find it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

There's a copy of it in my house. Absolute dross. It reads much like his MoS column;

"JFK arrived in the airport. The people were so happy to see him. He was so dashing and charismatic. He waved and smiled. Ireland greeted him with a big cead mile failte"

As for his JFK knowledge, Vogue Williams would probably score higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So let me get this straight, and I'm being serious here.

Is the Patrick and the President the book Tubs wrote about JFKs visit to Ireland?

I always heard he had written such a book, but had assumed it was a proper adult book, you know like Antony Beevor or Simon Schama. And I also knew about Patrick and the Presidwnt, but I never thought people were talking about the same book?

So he's only written a kids book?

I feel a bit stupid now.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

That's a genuine 'Thanks!" btw NIMAN🙂

Post edited by alzer100 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭JVince

On an English forum there's a long long thread of people with hatred against Duke of Sussex - Harry. Most are typical daily mail types.

This thread is a carbon copy.

Quite entertaining to see how Ryan tubridy affects most contributors on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Advertisement

I'm sure it's infinitely more intellectual and analytical than Patrick and President, and probably doesn't have illustrations placing Tubridy into historical situations to give it more weight as a serious piece of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Anyone read the book?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

Something that I've noticed as well - listening today - can't get enough of it.

I love how those ringing in often are in the business of selling something - getting a good bit of free advertising. Clever.

• Administrators Posts: 13,975 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I turned on today for the first time. Hadn't listened before today, but had read comments here about the pace of speech.

I can't see this appealing to a UK audience. Both caller and host were speaking at what seemed like 1.5-2speed. You know if you play a podcast fast. I'm accustomed to both accents and found it difficult to catch everything that was said.

Listened for about 3 minutes and then switched over to Ronan Collins on RTÉ Gold.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

It's just meant to be easy music with hourly news bulletins.

Exactly, and that's why I listen to it. I just want easy background stuff to listen to. I switch away now from 10 until 1. 🤷‍♀️

Nothing wrong with a quick mind, quick mouth in that game. Dave Fanning springs to mind. But that has to be your natural cadence and you have to be articulating something and actually finish trains of thought and sentences.

Tubs issue is that his natural delivery should probably be slow and methodical, but the only topic he was comfortable speaking about in that manner was death and misery.

and actually finish trains of thought and sentences.

This skill is just not one of Tubridy's skills...

Its like he immediately thinks of something he thinks is better or funnier to say while he's not finished saying the last thing he was trying to say, and ends up in no mans land.... but it all probably made sense in his head, so he assumes his listeners also made sense of it, when in reality he's just jibber jabbered from one half sentence to another... and none of it makes sense...

That is what made the Giftgrub piece so funny. 'Finish your sentences, Ryan' 😁 etc.

I think it takes quite a skill to appeal to two different audiences simultaneously. And he simply doesn't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I heard him talking today about Marian Keyes , who is celebrating 30 years being sober. Tubs described her as "A wonderful writer - this generation' Maeve l Binchy, really"

I can't see either of these references meaning a whole lot to his Virgin UK audience

• Advertisement

Advertisement