Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Administrators Posts: 14,032 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

So was the message of good wishes on his final Late Late requested by The Late Late show team, rather than organically sent by Paul McCartney? Was it one of those birthday messages etc you can pay a celebrity to send and they'll say whatever you tell them to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It was from the other macca, he didn't die in that car crash he retired only to provide well wishes to people the other Paul doesn't know or like. He's happy with this arrangement.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

It's only speculation on my part but I would think it unlikely that McCartney would do those paid for messages. Again only speculation but perhaps one of the Late Late team or an employee of Tubridy's agent approached McCartney's people saying that Ireland's most popular broadcaster, the most trusted man in Ireland, a huge McCartney fan, was retiring, and asked that McCartney record a message. The message broadcast certainly didn't give me the impression that McCartney knew Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭yagan

That's fair, but I don't think he has any reason to be complacent over there. It's not a given that the Paddy Power deal will protect his position. There's no shortage of triers in that market who'll happily take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Local radio in cork play M Jackson regularly. Couldn't see any reason why not. Probably one of if not the biggest aeeling artists ever and his music is great😁

I can't and won't listen to Tubs🥴 the man is a dose.

• A good time ago Tubbs said something about it being good enough that RTE should avoid playing Michael Jackson. That would be some years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is no way that even the biggest fans of Tubs could listen to that and say its a step up from the job he had/was doing at rte.

He's basically a link man between songs and adverts. With only a few minutes to talk or say anything interesting before he has to stop again.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I'm still waiting for Woody Allen week at the IFI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Hold on now...

He's in LONDON, he's EMPLOYED... AND he has a WOMAN..... This is monumental success. The man is winning at life.

You're just mad jealous cos you are a hermit in Leitrim who's best friend is a sock puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

He's in Dublin this weekend.

Hello Rose of SA/ Tralee. Something tells me he would prefer if it was the SA bloke of Tralee.

I recall on FIRST hearing in early 2002 he got nepo-d into 2fm breakfast (at a Today FM party celebrating 11-12% in Dublin) I told (whoever) you come to tell ME at a Today FM party that Tubridy is gonna be the saviour of 2fm he ISN'T.

Especially annoying as My own show Nothin' But 90's had scored top ratings as had The Today FM Top 40 - which myself like or loathe me I was finding I @endaonair was more-or-less coverimg for weekdays anyway with a female audience across Ireland!

And has Tubridy saved 2fm? Or any other station for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,427 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I wonder will he say anything about our Eurovision entry on Monday? He's probably already sent a fax to NK asking what the strategy is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

If I remember correctly. It looked like the dude was reading from a cue card doing it.

Hello Rose of SA/ Tralee. Something tells me he would prefer if it was the SA bloke of Tralee.

I know you were rage posting at 4:30am, but please, have a bit more dignity than resorting to schoolyard “u r gay!” jibes.

Your industry insight is invaluable to this thread, and as I’ve often said: there’s plenty of things to criticise Tubridy for. But “he likes blokes” isn’t one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Alright then: how about he is ignorant? A co-worker last night messaged they'd been in the same room as him (in this past week) he simply ignores people beneath him - sane as Piers Morgan. How's about that then!

Rage posting? There's always an element of truth in every joke even at 4.30am!

If “celebrity was aloof to people in a room” is what you have, then great; go for it. Hardly a major revelation, but still, you clearly have the inside industry contacts to reveal this level of detail

But surely you can see that petty jabs about a person’s sexuality have no place in Ireland in 2024. We’re not in school in the 70s now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

As to saving any station, didn't Tubridy lose 40% of Gerry Ryan's audience when he was given the show? The figures for the LLS after it was given to him also seemed to have a downward trajectory. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that both the LLS and the 09:00 timeslot programme are all doing better without him. These and other events destroyed the argument that RTE had to pay someone like Tubridy, or indeed other RTE on-air talent, so highly because other broadcasters would poach them. The upcoming JNLRs and RAJARs will be interesting. I think that Eddy Temple-Morris had a bit of a cult following on Virgin because he really knows about music. If that audience has switched to his new show and the RAJARs show a slump and Q102 unexpectedly shows an increase in the JNLRs, Tubridy could find himself back on Q102 etc by the Autumn rather than having a long-term career on Virgin.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Wlr will probably have roxette it must have been love or starship we built this city at the top of the hour. Local radio in Ireland is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I’m not especially impressed by the Virgin show but have friends who have worked extensively with Tubbs over the years.

Every single one of them like him; have always been open in their praise of him and have said how much they’ve enjoyed collaborating with him. He’s meant to be a joy to deal with on a personal level.

Whatever people may feel about his talents (or the shenanigans in RTE) I’ve never heard a bad word about the chap personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Breaking news:

Former Late Late Show presenter Tubridy said that he was due to make six more appearances for commercial sponsor Renault as part of a contentious deal at the centre of the crisis that has engulfed RTE.

But he added that “if that work is not called upon to be done, of course the money goes back”.

Oh, sorry, that was 7 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I think I’d rather spend time with Tubs than Enda tbh.

Just as an aside from Ryan Tubridy. Unfortunately music radio is not in a good place in Ireland. Most of the music radio market in Ireland is heavily concentrated on AC/Classic Hits/Gold/Music Mix/Maximum return on investment formats and I don't think there are any real genuine HotAC formatted radio stations on this side of the Atlantic, Virgin Radio included.

In essence there is nothing wrong with that as the music from the 60s,70s, 80s and 90s etc was great IMO. But mainstream pop/rock music and genres are subjective, you just can't please everyone and the problem with all of these radio stations though is that their playlists are just not comprehensive enough, they become repetitive and predictable. There are a handful of people within the industry selecting the playlists that you hear on your local/nationwide AC.

But having that been said, in this country there is also a major problem with the CHR model. Music radio for younger listeners is not being formatted correctly, there is a serious lack of innovation and creativity, the music on rotation, the way it is sourced and presented is not compatible with the AC presentation. So music from CHR/HotAC radio is not crossing over successfully. Some would say that "the music of today is shite" but it's not that simple. And it is one of the reasons younger audiences turn to Spotify and other streaming services. The mainstream pop/rock music from the 1980s etc was the CHR presentation for that time and is now the Classic Hits/Gold/AC presentation for today. However that process has been somewhat made redundant and is evident to the detriment of Irish mainstream music radio.

I was working on site last year and all the youngens had basically 70,80,90s music on their Spotify feeds.

I just think there isn't the same tsunami of youth culture like in those eras because there isn't the same demographic pressure.

Anyway that's for another thread.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ZaK23-54

Is it time we give Tubs a break?

Those that worked with him always said he was decent and respectful..

Deep down he must be hurting - and he is the scapegoat for the lack of governance in RTÉ

• Advertisement

He insisted on the backhand top up while all his colleagues took a cut.

Advertisement