Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

It is a flat in London on 80k a year.

I have visions of Tubs spending his Saturday morning in the laundrette starring at the machine spinning and wondering where it all went wrong.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and say its entirely possible he did the same while living in Dublin. Its hard to imagine him washing his clothes, but then again that goes for all "celebrities".

"Quasi-student days", interesting turn of phrase. Almost implying all this is temporary, and the call from RTE will come any day now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,288 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The Levi’s ad…..

I wonder in what way does he remember the ad?

or;

(I know, my photoshop skills are next level, so deal with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

You know RT could have two different shows one for an Irish Audience and the other for the UK audience.

When UK are playing the play list he's chatting to the Irish audience and when the music plays on the Irish station he talks to the Irish.

Who in England knows TY or Transition Year?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Don't think that Tubridy is quite that talented. All he has is his RTE banter.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭GSF

Does his manmy not do his washing then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

He's also gone from shopping at Brown Thomas to shopping at Mr Price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

Beyond doubt he'll be back in a year or two at most. Whether he'll return to RTE is something I'm not so sure about. His replacements are doing quite nicely and Radio 1 will evolve without him. He's also the public face of all that's wrong with RTE and the optics of taking him back would be terrible, especially if they still need government money. There will also be loads of lower paid RTE employees who never want to see him again, let alone work with him. I think he'll come back and work for Q102.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

News Corp in latest news seems to imply Virgin in it's total figures year on year has record listening

https://www.news.co.uk/latest-news/news-broadcasting-delivers-another-period-of-record-listening-hours/

Which I'm sure will keep Lachlan Murdoch and Richard Branson happy.

Just looking at the Q4 figures there seems to be a slight decline in Virgins stations and U105 over the last quarter from the peaks of Q2 and Q3.

When the Q1 figures come out I think it will show further losses.

It means they were already in decline prior to adding Tubridy - a marmite presenter who lost listeners year on year than added them overall at RTE Radio.

If anything, I think Virgin are having an identity crisis 'live' on air at present and are continuing the slide. I think they will have made further losses by the time of Q1. 2024 is revealed as a damning audience shedding.

Mid-mornings are crucial to the stability and success of any format or brand in radio - you keep off divisive and marmite figures to the weekends normally and place the radio professionals on Breakfast, Middays, Lunchtimes and Afternoon drive.

The bosses will be secretly shaking at Virgin as their hours and reach will both show a huge decline in the next book. Chris Evans is now getting lazy, losing his younger appeal. The other Chris (Moyles) is doing better over on Radio X and anyone following Evans during the day will inherit his losses, then add to the fact that last year, Virgin Radio changed musical direction from Poprock /Radio X/Indie lite to a real middle of the road mulch pseudo Hot/AC. They are playing more Janet and Luther AC/HotAC/Gold rather than artists such as Biffy Clyro now. Their younger listeners will not stick with that as its gravitating towards the tastes of dad in his late 50's early 60's.

Chris Evans now followed by what could be the most 85 year old 50 year old, high brow condescending bookworm nerd.

My thoughts are with Ryan Tubridy's take over presenter Jayne Middlemiss. She will have half the audience she had a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

If his Q102 etc audience doesn't move to another station. There's more at stake for Tubridy than his numbers on Virgin Radio.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Tubs returning to RTE would surely be the final nail in the coffin of the national broadcaster, given the ongoing scandals ( and scandals yet to be exposed)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Perhaps he will return to Ireland and continue the same slot on Q, which will also be broadcast on other Wireless stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If they move to a non voluntary direct tax funding model, they won't really care about the public as funding will be guaranteed no matter how awful they are. Tubridy will be back in no time and my greatest fear is he will be back presenting the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 john457

I doubt Ryan will ever be back in RTE.

I reckon he made a big mistake not taking the Classic Hits Radio offer of mid mornings. It would have been right up his street in terms of demographics and a ready made Irish audience, almost nationwide-ish.

If the Virgin Radio gig goes wrong, all he would have is local Dublin radio Q102.

No way in hell would Cork, Limerick and Louth/Meath put up with losing their morning local affairs programming to have Ryan simulcast from Dublin with Q102.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

If his sunday mail journal is anything to go by he'd be lucky to be printed in Ireland's Own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

He won’t be back in the near future. I wouldn’t underestimate the negative sentiment towards him from much of the staff. That will dissipate to a degree with time.

Bringing him back would come at a cost. In more ways than one.

PK is doing a far better job than Tubridy did on LLS and the sky hasn’t fallen in on Radio 1 since he’s been absent either.

Far more cons than pros in bringing him back anytime soon.

It must also be noted that competition comes from TV, folks in the UK will quickly turn on the TV in the daytime if the radio show doesn't suit them.

AFAIK playing live radio in shops and hairdressers requires a licence, which many don't apply for due to costs and there is also the possibility that customers actually have their own devices. So there may not be an army of 'middle aged women' in hair salons coming to his defence and saving Private Ryan.

Listening has revealed that he has sailed pretty close to Ofcom a few times, critiquing Claudia Winkleman's fringe once, then was quite pushy with a woman caller when asking her age. He has also promoted the relative's hotel on just a few occasions which could leave Virgin Radio vulnerable to Ofcom with respect to the disproportionate mentions of same.

• Advertisement

The Ryan Tubridy Show consists of about 3 production staff including Meera Depala - his producer and some tech ops. It is known that producers starting off at Virgin Radio would not be on the greatest salaries with some freelance or fixed term contracts earning £14 per hour. For The Ryan Tubridy Show, they would probably be in at 6 or 7am to commence preparation for content whilst Tubridy would more than likely waltz in 30 minutes before going on air.

These people behind the glass can - in some instances scoff or have a laugh at their own primadonna presenters and apparently Tubridy was not immune to this at RTE and you can be sure that the same applies at Virgin Radio.

A "Boom Tish" was played to punctuate another of his books/cultural recommendations - he was 'surprised' as he hadn't asked for the "Boom Tish" to be played. It is very possible from their perspective, they would be laughing in unison at him wondering who does this self proclaimed nerd think he is?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Havnt listened to the lanky layabout since he joined “Virgin Digital” - curious -

Has he mentioned the recent RTÉ revelations on his show?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Your hunch is Correct.

NK Media and Noel Kelly himself are proverbial gnats on the side of the giant bull elephant that is the London/UK PR industry.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

I've never been a fan of Tubs but thought his RTE1 radio show was pretty ok.

While I'd like him to succeed in the UK, it doesn't seem likely to happen - it's like hel thinks he's still on Radio1 broadcasting to the island of Ireland rather than on a UK station in a massively competitive market

I've tuned in a for about an hour every day since he started and almost every time its books books books. Every .. single ... day. I'm a nerd who likes books but even I don't want to hear about them non-stop

I'd sum it up as a hard listen and that's not good when your competition is Ken Bruce

Today is the first day I just couldn't be arsed listening to him

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Switched on radio about an hour ago.

He had an English caller on, wishing her son happy birthday or something. It all sounded very awkward. I used to leave the radio tuned to Q102 all day when I'm at home but I go to Nova or elsewhere for those three hours now.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Had a look at his latest MoS missive there.... a couple of observations...

He decided to go to Penzance in Cornwall by rail, but prior to this he never heard of the place or couldn't pick it out on a map. Maybe I'm being generous, but I highly doubt that's true. A piece of ignorance even remarkable by Tub's standards. I guess he is, as many have said here, aiming it a very domestic audience in Ireland who he believes would get lost venturing out of their own back garden. A tad patronizing I thought.

Of course, he was, intrigued, to read up about Penzance, and had to go!

Apart from the inevitable fantastic book to get stuck into, the long train journey allowed him to catch up on the dozens of texts, emails and whatsapp messages that had accumulated. Why do I have the feeling that apart from family and Noel Kelly, Ryan's phone rarely bleeps. Just a suspicion.

He goes to a maritime themed pub, which is "wonderfully curious" He then attends a theatre production and crams in references to Shakespeare, Enid Blyton and Daphne du Maurier in one paragraph. He ends this section by commenting that as great as this mysterious and unknown land is (he means England) it just can't match Connemara. Naturally.

We get a glimpse of a lunch he went to with Graham Norton in a little known eatery......no, sorry I meant of course it was a fancy restaurant where titans of screen and stage hobnob with each other. From the photo, Tubs has the look of a christian in the colosseum watching a lion approach. Proximity to big shot celebrities makes his heart skip, clearly. I wonder did he need a quick trip to the loo as the waiter brought the bill. That 150k doesn't go too far with this kinda lifestyle you know. You should try it some time......

He ends by mentioning an on air discussion with Chris Evans where Tubs found himself quoting Patrick Kavanagh. We've all been there. Not a day goes by when I don't crowbar some Leaving Cert poetry into any given conversation in an attempt to appear intellectual. Just don't ask me about literally any other poet in the English language. Wouldn't have a scoobie.

I look forward to next Sunday and my new "appointment reading" as Dion Fanning called Tub's diary recently.

• Advertisement

When I saw the photo of him with Graham Norton, I thought oh is that Graham's wallet on the table! 😁

He did invite Tubridy so I presume Graham was paying.

Advertisement