Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The Board don’t decide who the presenters are. I think people need to read up on the difference between a board and the executive team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Karppi

Somebody needed to remind Moya about that, maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭chrisd2019

Have a reality check, Tubs returning to RTE would not occur without the blessing of the Board, given his past history.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Clicked into my Sunday appointment reading today and was left feeling slightly bereft. That piece was not even up to the previous poor standards of earlier offerings.

He paints three and a bit weeks in London like a backpacking trip across Southeast Asia. Pints in a Dublin pub where he tells all and sundry about how great London is and how he loves it there. A short mention of a lunch with his mother and then a few words about Terry Wogan's son. He of course didn't miss the opportunity to tell the reader that Terry practically offered to groom him as his replacement on BBC radio, but Tubs just loved Ireland and family too much and couldn't give them up for all those multi million pound radio contracts. Because as we must remember, money is just not a factor for our hero. It never affected his soul.

Then five sentences on a film he watched on Netflix of a Saturday night.

I thought RTE were getting robbed having him on the payroll. Whoever is paying him for that column is getting absolutely roasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

The executive team is always referred to as the ‘executive board’ . Where do they get the people that make these decisions re what to call this or that group of people - unless they want to cause confusion or camouflage things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭yagan

The newspapers do take payment for publishing such pieces. It's an assumption they pay tubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If you were told his "diary" was written by Waterford Whispers, you'd actually believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

It’s not as unfunny as WWN. Should have called it a day about 10 years ago.

You could be right. It's possibly even funnier than WWN. And he probably should have called it a day about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

I'm not crazy about the way he always refers to his daughters as 'my girls', as if he owns them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Includes a promo for chicken and chips and then a pizza chain with a picture of a big pizza. Ends the article with a review of a movie where people had to resort to cannibalism to survive.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

What's with the pictures taken in empty restaurants?

Is it to imply that he sat with the.other guy so long that the place.emptied out? Could he be that cute a hoor?

His ramblings in that Evoke article are appalling. He's only across the water in London not bloody Antarctica. And he's only been there a few weeks.

What age is this man? Mentally I mean🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 10,333 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

With those photographs he does actually make it look like the restaurants he's in are struggling for business as much as he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Has anyone had a reply from Chris Evans or Graham Norton on Twitter yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭GSF

Certainly that or it’s taken out of normal trading hours in which case it smells of PR set up

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

This is extraordinary stuff from an adult, let alone somebody who tries to pass themselves off as an intellectual or entertainer.

“We all order the chicken and chips in a basket!”

Christ almighty, the exclamation mark and everything. Like something an 8 year old would write. Just shy of “mummy said if we finished it all we could get jelly and ice cream after, yay! yum yum!”

How did this man even get half as far as he did, nepotism accounted for its still a mystery. Someone should have a word with him and advise him that maybe he’d be better off taking the few quid he has and sailing off into the sunset. Embarrassing.

Sunday Indo John Burns

Hello? Who's still tuning in to Tubs?

How many listeners in Ireland are tuning in to Ryan Tubridy's new show on Virgin Radio? Keen fans can stream it, or listen to the simultaneous broadcast from Monday to Friday on Dublin's Q102.

Alternatively, there's a weekend Tubridy show made specially for Q102, Cork's 96FM, Limerick's Live 95 and LMFM.

We'll have to wait for the next JNLR survey to get a precise figure - but a straw in the wind has been provided by Core Research in a survey it released last week.

In a poll of 1,000 representative adults, it found that 6pc have "trialled” Tubridy's show. This means listened once, and maybe only once. According to Core, that percentage equates to an estimate of between 193,000 and 324,000 people.

The finding will probably be interpreted differently, depending on how you view the broadcaster who earned €515,000 from RTÉ in 2022, as we were told last week, including €75,000 via the infamous sponsorship deal.

Given the initial curiosity factor around Tubridy's move to Britain, and his determination to remain on the news agenda in Ireland, a finding that only 6pc of adults took the trouble to tune in to any of his shows last month may well disappoint his new employer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Just shy of “mummy said if we finished it all we could get jelly and ice cream after, yay! yum yum!”

Exactly. And this from someone who presents himself as well-read. There's nothing wrong with using plain, simple English, and short sentences, imo. But this is actually primary school level. Early primary school.

• I’d say his parents were exasperated by their unfocussed son, and worried for his future, Mummy had a round table chat with the brothers, “he’s a great chatterbox, we need to play to his strengths, I think he would thrive behind I mic, and he’s already done a book review on tv as a young lad, any opportunity in Montrose?”

• Advertisement

• I hope he had an appetite for lunch at 9am 🤣

No reports emerged of other dinners being forced to get up and leave so that Tubridy could have a long table like Putin likes without the risk of being mobbed by errr fans 😂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• It’s a wonder NK wouldn’t have arranged for part-time bit actors to fill the other tables, glancing over and pointing at the famous diners “look who’s here! Wow”

Plastic food on the plates, as it’s 9am, and they need time to clear the place for real luncheon diners whilst not disturbing chef. all already asked to come in after real breakfast at home or in a caf down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I can see what he's going for there. "I'm a man of the people, no Michelin restaurants in leafy south Dublin for me, no Sir. Give me a hearty carvery down the country and lash on the spuds there missus.... HAHA!"

Not at all surprising, but there's a strong waft of stage management off all Tub's columns. Very much a case of having to fill column inches and using impromptu trips and oddly choreographed restaurant excursions with random celebrities to bolster the image of a "new man, new life" situation. There's something so dreadfully off about the whole thing. Feigned authenticity where none exists.

When you can see the PR at work then it’s bad PR. This stuff is so bad it’s comical (no offence to anyone involved in it) 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Will Graham Norton return the favour and invite Tubs onto his TV show?

I won't hold my breath, unless it's as a microphone stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would love to see that. Usually all the folk on the sofa are having a bit of craic and telling funny stories, Tubs would really bring the mood down.

Don't think anyone would want to hear his ramblings about ireland, books and being kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Unless these are not NKM productions and their only aim is to show people in Ireland that Tubridy is still famous and people in London recognise him. His latest column seems to be like what happened to his RTE career. Promotions and then cannibalism by RTE.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

This is new territory for Tubridy and NKM. Dealing with RTE was the equivalent of taking candy from a baby. Tubridy was given a series of almost bombproof TV and radio shows and was paid extremely well for that. We now know that there are shows on RTE TV and radio that manage just fine without their big name presenters (I include Marian Finucane's weekend show in that). Tubridy's new job in London looks like it's going to reveal a series of uncomfortable truths. The main one may be that he's not half as popular in Ireland as he/NK/RTE thought he was. The other more worrying one, from his point of view, is that he's showing us all how limited he is as a broadcaster. Defending him on a boards forum or having him write articles in the Daily Mail aren't going to shield him from poor Rajar ratings when the time comes. It makes me wonder is there anybody at all in Tubridy's life (personal or professional) who's doing anything to try and change the way he's presenting that radio show? Even though it's increasingly looking like this is a short-term project for him, he is doing his career prospects a lot of damage.

• Advertisement

I would be gobsmacked, some serious strings would have to be pulled, as it's clear that Norton would attract viewers, Tubs being on as a guest would make Nortons show look like it was desperate.

After seeing Tubs blathering on about his mammy in his "diary", I went to his instagram for a quick look - choc full of women applauding him for being nice to his mummy - "Oh Ryan, you're so sweet, and soooo nice to your lovely mum xxxx" type of stuff. It's clear that this is the cohort he is trying to please, but I suspect this crowd is insufficient to keep him above water in any serious terms.

Advertisement