Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Would you really expect it to be reviewed though? Take The Guardian's "TV And Radio" section. It's all TV (and streaming), with "Miranda Sawyer on podcasts and radio" that appears once a week, but mainly covers podcasts or radio series that are akin to podcasts (limited series on a particular topic or theme).

Looking at the other UK newspapers, it's pretty much the same. TV and Podcasts get coverage, radio dramas or documentaries occasionally, but that's about the extent of it: I don't think there's anyone out there reviewing mid-morning radio. Like, maybe if a Hollywood celebrity like George Clooney was to come over to the UK and host a radio show, there would be coverage. But it seems that even perfectly competent and successful UK hosts don't get reviewed. Not sure why anyone would expect Tubridy to be in the Clooney league, but sometimes we Irish do get a little carried away with our collective sense of self-importance.

So the fact that there isn't all these reviews that people keep asking about really isn't surprising, and certainly in itself doesn't seem to be the scathing comment on Tubridy that some people imply it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Ryan Tubridy is not being talked about in the UK, but I don't think it has anything to do with his level of celebrity - he is just not of interest to them. He does not hold the sway or "agency" of even Angela Scanlon. She was and IS far more successful and well known by the British public. She has just done the Strictly tour, books, podcasts, vo sessions, cover on Virgin Radio and who knows maybe BBC Radio 2 in the future? I think there is a lot more going for her than Tubridy can ever dream of in his or NKM's imaginations.

I think his audiences are tuning OUT/OFF/ELSEWHERE daily. This means a dwindling non returning audience for Virgin Radio and Q102.

IF this does turn out to be the case and is verified by numbers. People need to ask themselves How much longer could that be sustained by News UK/Virgin/Q102?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Red Fred

He'll be all over this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The change curve posted earlier is probably more relevant to callans radio show , that will settle a grow a bit I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Thank heavens he’s in London, he’ll now be able to provide local knowledge to his meandering tales. God in a hoodie at play in his location

• Advertisement

It's relevant to all change.

One mistake you shouldn't make is that it assumes that all change results in success. That is not what it illustrates at all, and is a rookie mistake often made by people who just don't understand the concept.

But it does show that when faced with change, people through a sequence of behaviours and attitudes somewhat analogous to the grieving process. And often, the attitudes of people in the first four stages of change can turn 180 degrees by the last stage.

Change managers know this, and therefore let change bed in before assessing the success or otherwise and acting accordingly. It's evidence based analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Tub’s commented yet on Cat Deeley getting the gig to present This Morning on itv1?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Your fanposts about him are all for nothing then Doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

This will make kieltys appointments look like a masterstroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think a cringe curve graph would illustrate Tubridy's on air links highlighting nauseating speech breaks with soliloquy 🙂

A fine example this morning is how he bit the bait regarding Paul Mc Cartney's returned stolen guitar, to yet again make it about himself and ramble on and on then off to other irrelevant topics in that same bit. Its as if he is experiencing tune out factor and he gets a very high score in this regard. Has he ever been coached to keep it "one thought per link"?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Well, I saw this review on Mumsnet if that counts:

'There's a lot more music on his show than the one he used to broadcast in Ireland. One listener from Northumberland asked him what his favourite castles were. He listed off a few hotels set in castles in Ireland. I think she meant castles as in Buckingham Palace, Leeds Castle, Bleinheim Palace, Alnwick Castle, Arundel Castle, Chatsworth etc.' 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tbf mumsnet would be his main target audience.

There’s 6 posts on the Mumsnet thread, and three of them are from the OP. Quite likely they’re a Boardsie trying to stir things up. They’re obviously Irish as they’re very familiar with his RTe show - possibly posting similar content on this and other threads.

The only post that looks like a genuine Mumsnet one is:

I enjoyed him when he used to sit in on Radio 2 for Chris Evans...

which is an interesting insight from a UK listener.

I think we need another inquiry, if you find any Irish mammies on Mumsnet I definitely want action taken!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

Cream rises to the top.

RTE’s “talent” is the farmers brothers aunt’s nephews friend of a friend and should be allowed to be “floaters”.

NO ONE in RTE should be paid more than 100K.

TUBS is finding out that his talent, was WAY over estimated.

I think you miss the point of the discussion, G. We’re talking about the opinions of UK listeners/publications.

We’ve got the Irish angle well covered already. Just interesting to see the open minded/positive post from that UK one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

You seem to want to put a positive spin on everything to do with Tubridy. The problem is that the Mumsnet core demographic may be a generation or so younger than Tubridy's demographic of ladies of a certain age. The demographics mismatch also seems to be affecting his Virgin Radio slot in that Virgin Radio's music is quite different from his old RTE stuff.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

I live in England and nobody literally nobody is taking about Tubridy or Virgin radio

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

None of them have any talent. They just have connections and once they get their feet under the table, they're there for life. I've never been impressed by any RTE presenter or talent. Actually Zig and Zag, Dustin, Podge and Rodge had talent; the rest were overpaid, under-talented arseholes. Anybody good, or even just ambitious, fucked off to the UK. We're left with the connected and the rich kids of the connected. It's the smugness that puts me off the most. Any little bit of "success" completely goes to their heads and they look like arseholes. Jesus, I saw two minutes of First Dates Ireland recently, and I wanted to chin the waiter, waitress and the barman. Absolute plonkers, but RTE think they are stars now. I had to turn it off.

You seem to want to put a positive spin on everything to do with Tubridy

Look, I factually point out one agreeable post about him from a UK listener, and I’m accused of putting a “positive spin on everything”.

There’s plenty of things to criticise Tubridy about. Plenty.

But let’s not pretend that negativity is the only option available to the general public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

What you did point out is that it took an someone familiar with him to even start a discussion on a popular UK forum, a discussion that fell flat, like Tubridy in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

I’m surprised you watch Irish TV at all. Haven’t listened to anything “live” in ages. RTE radio is uninteresting. RTE TV is re-runs that I have seen previously or BBC …that leaves Fairly Sh1tty the news and some government propaganda program after the news.

have been at home (in Ireland for a few weeks) and RTE has been used all of twice…once rte player to see the fuss about room to destroy…and the second to see a news item, which a friend abroad wanted.

Tubs was never “talent”, I honestly don’t think people in RTE know what talent is. As you said, that’s that make great radio and TV leave Ireland. They have to be good to get anywhere, as they are not connected.

Just to clear up a common misconception, the term "talent" in the broadcasting industry doesn't denote any particular ability or exceptional aptitude. It's merely a jargon term that identifies the on air/on screen employees, as opposed to those who work behind the scenes. It's analogous to "cast" in a dramatic production.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,767 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Has anyone ever talked about anything to do with virgin radio?

Whenever Evans left Radio 2 for Virgin there was a bit of a buzz about it but it’s settled down now. The people that still want to listen to him, his core fans went with him, the rest just got on with the Zoe Ball show or drifted off who knows where. Other than that I’ve never heard anyone mention Virgin Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

If this happened, this question could have been turned around and used as a way to engage with his remaining UK listeners. He could have still answered the question with those Irish castles but then asked listeners to tell him what castles in the UK they recommend. Maybe he might even visit some of them rather than yet another bookshop. Of course that'd involve a bit of curiosity and interest in other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭RoTelly

What Tubs is not in the Clooney league, you could have fooled me! 😁

I suppose people want to see where Ryan is in relation to the UK audience. From Youtube he's being "ratioed" by Irish people so hard to see anything in that cacophony. So we've no real way of guaging.

I listen for a few mins during the week, still a lot of Irish input.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Advertisement