Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I liked Brendan O'connor when he a his own show on RTE, he reminded me of Piers Morgan, he became very tame after his show was scrapped. I always thought he was the whistle blower that was leaking information about what was going on in RTE, that was a few years ago, can't remember the name that was used, I think it was Undercover Producer, something like that. An insight into what goes on behind the scenes, It was very entertaining. 

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Everything that twitter account said was known in the media industry at large already, good chance it wasn't a then current staff member; if they'd even worked there at all

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Switched on radio earlier, he was talking about Superquinn sausages. I'm sure that is interesting to a UK audience 😉.

I turned the dial, as usual, until 1 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

It appears he has no interest in the UK audience. This whole Virgin/Q102/local radio tie up is just a desperate attempt to keep him visible/relevant in Ireland

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Yikes.

I thought to give him a few minutes today. Between 12.39 and 1.

He had 3 and a half minutes talk time between songs and ads.

He read out 3 texts (all Irish). He mentioned Cork, Galway, Wicklow, Dublin and Dolphins Barn (which is certainly gonna have a lot of UK listeners scratching their heads).

He had 2 brief tales of being lovingly recognised in public. One by a woman in Hoggis Figgis (agian UK listeners wouldn't have a clue, he could've said Waterstones) who said her mother is a big fan and he was also quizzed by some Irish kids who were coming out of Abbey Road Studio.

A mention of his mammy coming to visit.

Oh and one name drop of a West End actor friend of his.

He tripped over the text number and the ads cut over the end of his words twice.

In one of a number of disjointed unfinished gobbledegook sentences he said one thing he's looking forward to is getting the Eurostar from London to... London. To see his sister who is working there. He meant Paris.

He's still talking about London as though he's a 15 year old that's been sent to his uncle in Croydon for mid term break.

I wonder will Chris Evans be getting a phone call from the execs asking him-"WTactualF were you thinking?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

If there was a ceiling of €100k per year for all RTE talent, guaranteed not one of them would leave. Where would they go to? They're not going to the UK and getting cushier than what they get at home. So why are they getting paid so much? A competent director general would try and get them as low as possible. Joe Duffy? 40K. Don't like it? **** off. Same with all the cronies behind the scenes. Why are they are all getting paid so much when RTE's output is utter shite and always has been? Put people in management for a lot less money than the overpaid flutes that are there now. They could hardly **** things up worse than what this shower did!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Some would leave for jobs in other areas in communications, advertising and media relations or go back to their pre broadcasting careers (if they had one). You are correct though, anyone that wanted to stay in broadcasting would just have to suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder is it simply a way of creating a buffer between him and RTE for now? Being physically out of the country and working in a new job is a pretty good way of distancing himself from RTE. Not my problem now, I'm in London with this great new job etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

He may be in London but he's certainly not trying to cultivate his audience beyond his previous gig in rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

In the beginning I thought it might be teething issues. Of course, he was also in the unusual position of being a very famous person in Ireland but virtually unknown in the UK. It was natural that he'd be getting engagement from fans and people who were curious about his new job. That this has never stopped, and that he's still behaving like he's sitting in a studio in Dublin are very curious. I now think appealing to UK listeners was never in the plan. Even somebody like Tubridy has to have the capability to tweak his shtick and know who his target audience is now.

I think the powers that be in Virgin might be happy enough with the engagement from Irish listeners and know that when he moves on, they can just plug somebody else in. They're getting sponsorship from Paddy Power that'll cover a lot of the costs and it's a minnow of a radio station anyway.

One thing is for certain - it's blowing all those old being in demand abroad chestnuts out of the water. I don't ever want to hear that excuse being trotted out again for any RTE presenter, let alone Tubridy.

Post edited by Tork on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Putting Callan on 150000 shows no change in rte.

I read an interview with him where he said he had to think about the offer.

Fgs stop playing us for fools.

Being a comedian, and I use the term loosely, in this country hardly Makes a person very comfortably off. So Oliver was very thankful to be offered an hour a day by the crowd who love giving away our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,934 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ryan Tubridy is the "Face Behind the Voice" in next week's Radio Times... it's a one page interview with questions like:

first radio memory

favourite broadcasters

ambition - says he has mostly fulfilled them but would like to do something on TV involving Travel and Books.

Lots of Irish answers mentioning Gaybo and Wogan, but also some UK references such as Kirsty Young.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Kirsty Young? He's definitely following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Last weeks was Matt Bailey presenter of BBC Radio Newcastle’s breakfast show. Martin Collins was featured a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

Morbid curiosity has me listening to him for the last half hour, its cringe. Describing calling you teacher mum in error is described as a quotidian horror show, look at these big words I know! Struggled to get someone on for the coffee break song of your choice, still asking for someone to phone in at 10.55. Books and You Tube got a mention in a short non sequitor ridden monologue.

Penzance train journey again, JFK in Salthill, doesnt like auto biographies unless they are really good.

Drivel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Long train journeys can be a substitute for nothing to do.

It well be that he simply gets bored of trying to stay relevant in Ireland, and maybe then he might actually become interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,343 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It's quite possible he's reached the bottom of his bottomless pit of witty/charming/interesting anecdotes, and has to start recycling old ones again...

I wonder has he mentioned at all that U2 gave him a scooter (I know he mentioned it when he appeared on Chris Evans show), but has he mentioned it yet on his own show? or is he saving it for a rainy day if he needs a bit of a dig out, like if the ratings come in and they're bad..

He'll have to put the Sinéad O'Connor story to bed soon too, so he might need the U2/scooter story to take it's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Advertisement

Anyone that's missed Tub's last diary entry can still find it online, and will be thrilled to hear it includes a photo, captioned:

RYAN TUBRIDY READING THE MAIL AT VIRGIN RADIO'S OFFICES. PIC: RYAN TUBRIDY / INSTAGRAM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It isn't possible for the man to reach the bottom of the barrel of anecdotes and then start to become interesting.

If he had a modicum of interesting stories in his repotoire he would have dredged them up by now.

I haven't the courage to even listen to him for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

The huge fall off in traffic on this page suggests that people are switching off. Curiousity maintained interest for a short while but it has well worn off by now. A step down from Andrea Gilligan

• If he had gone on to the Isles of Scilly in wintry weather, that could have been interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The simple fact is, and I am basing this on hearing half of one show, is that the show is very broken up. Compared to the time he had to waffle on rte, this show is full of adverts and promos. It doesn't make for good radio.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

this show is full of adverts and promos. It doesn't make for good radio.

It works fine for the others who have slots on Q102.

I know he has to (supposedly) try to appeal to both audiences, but apart from that... The others don't have people phoning in of course, or they don't have to tell tales about how people recognised them and so on. All the other shows are easy listening for me.

I heard a minute or so of his show, this morning before I turned the dial. He was shouting his name, and the time and the date and that it was raining.

Riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

A friend talking to me mentioned that he was up from the country taking a family member to the Beacon Clinic and Nova was on this morning in the shop/cafe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Advertisement