Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

And the chances of Tubridy replacing an A-Lister like Norton?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

About as likely as Tubs getting Sunday Love Songs on bbc radio 2

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭waywill1966

Speculation that he will return to R2 to replace Steve on the Love Songs show!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That can only damage Virgin Radio.

Norton is a massive name in the UK, and I'm sure most of the listeners to VR either tune in to hear Norton or Evans. Big loss.

If Evans ever packs it in, it's doomed.

On the subject of Tubs, was just checking out the news on Page Turners, their Book Club programme.

Had Tubs not burned his bridges at rte,he might have been involved in that cushy number, cos in case you didn't know, he is big into books and all.

• Advertisement

They will have to take him off their adverts and billboards do it will just be Evans and that other guy 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭waywill1966

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Says he will still be doing bits and pieces with Virgin. Perhaps he'll cover for Tubs when he heads off on his long summer holiday LOL. Just thinking about it if Tubs was still with RTE, he'd have had the Feb BH, a mid term break and would be winding down for St. Patrick's Day and Easter. I assume he hasn't been missing on Virgin yet. He's probably thinking how over-rated working for a living is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

If Tubridy had the ambition and skillset to appeal to a UK audience, he'd benefit from events such as Steve Wright's sudden death. We all know he was never going to get this actual show, but what about the churn that happens in the wake of these things? A working presenter moving to a new job creates a vacancy and so on and so on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Exactly.

If he had a scrap of talent, he would be looked at, surely, to take over the show that Graham Norton is leaving, for example.

Instead I imagine the powers that be are wondering why they took him on, at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Good luck Ryan!

I hope he's not watching that on a dodgy box!

Anyone who has listened to Tubs over the years knows he has zero interest or knowledge of any sport.

But sure anything to keep him on the socials.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Did Subserdy mention the passing of Steve Wright, one of the UKs best DJs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Was it the LLS or on the radio where he kept referring to the 'Kick-off' at the start of a game of Gaelic Football. He was corrected a number of times to 'throw-in' but just didn't cop it. He was probably wondering at the rugby match why the ref let them get away with so many hand balls, or why they kept on playing with no nets in the goals.

About as disinterested as Joe Duffy who wouldn't be able to find Croke Park but still tried to push Dublin winning Sam as being one of the highlights of a particular year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Yet another reason why he was a poor interviewer and presenter, imo.

There would be nothing wrong with saying he wasn't much into sport, or that he didn't know very much about it, but was willing to learn from what his interviewee had to say. Far better than trying to pretend.

He is so inauthentic.

Switched on radio earlier, heard mention of jellybabies, quickly turned the dial, as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Saw wonka yesterday and the opening song about landing in a new city with a shilling in his pocket reminded me of Tubs

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Neferteena

I've never listened to the Sunday gig, but find myself in the unfortunate circumstance this morning of being in company, with it on in the background.

As it's prerecorded I thought the links would be less frantic, & Tubs more relaxed as he's only servicing an Irish audience. Well I thought wrong. He's stuffing the 'book man'& 'toyman' pseudopersona down listeners' throats, in a similar fashion to a duck farmer feeding ducks for foie head. He even said he read some children's stories on air during covid ''in my role as the toyman'. Yes he actually said that. Banging on about London being wonderful & his big move

Every link contains a soliloquy of hyperdrivel about him. Sadly they are rehashed stories about bookshop experiences, lunch with his mammy, his school days, his Beatles experiences, meeting some celeb or other. He's even trying to get in on the act of getting notifications on his newsfeed of BAFTA winners b4 they were announced. & royally dropped the blame on someone unnamed in the BBC.

He continues to abuse links as a vehicle to talk about himself, his cadence is erratic, & the subject matter goes in many tangents. I've also yet again noticed the coincidences of comments on here reflected on his show.

I heard the weekday show one day this week too. The tech glitches were numerous, & I could hear him repeating what the producer said in his ear at times. He played the wrong song, & it was obvious be lined it up & pressed the buttons himself. I think the producers run with the time format, & will play promos & ads whether he's gibbering or not.

Laughable as his airtime is, it does not bode well for his future. He has no interviewing skills, his go to subject is 'me me me, he talks incessantly about books, but says very little -dust covers & publishers' notes. & he needs serious hand holding to work basic radiodesk equipment. And he has no other talent or recognition, or significant audience to bring to the table. Tell me who is looking to spend money on that CV. This Virgin gig is the best gravy he'll get, looking at the market competion & the rise of podcasts.

If Virgin give him the boot, he should consider syndicated podcasts for hospital radio, & get his money's worth out of that state of the art equipment in his house.

https://evoke.ie/2024/02/25/entertainment/ryan-tubridy-diary-irish-talent

His namedropping has gone into orbit. It must be remembered that most of these "stars" are giving interviews as part of their movie contracts daily or weekly. As Michael Flatley says he hates doing interviews as most of them especially Tubridy keep butting in for which they manage to turn it around to make it about themselves.

Everyone has a family, everyone. Tubridy is playing upon this, but its a very weak article that really offers us nothing other than "I am important because I interviewed most of these Irish talents". But if Cillian Murphy met and was interviewed by Tubridy and then they met each other in passing, why are they not great best mates now?

With each article for the MOS and with the addition of every time he opens the mic on Virgin Radio (spewing drivel all over the pop shield and across the UK on DAB - or locally on 4 "afflicted" News UK Irish stations, pre voicetracked each Sunday) he is making himself look smaller and smaller, less skilled than even the haters believed, worse than your worst day or nitemare.

The next few months will be interesting as the horror of daily deserting listeners of Virgin, Q102 and the Irish Wireless stations is revealed.

You can't buy class - Tubridy may come from a perceived Irish aristocratic family yet he shows his crass nature, ignorance and unworldliness all too often in his romancing over spice bags, the international foods section at Sainsburys and books written under a pseudonym by J.K. Rowling. This is compounded with a Jellybaby obsession and numerous other clues that could very well lead the listener or reader to question his emotional health.

"Putting his foot in it" on air and insulting guests - leading to the breaching of Ofcom's broadcast code is a strong possibility. If he'd been at Virgin Radio and not RTE in the last 25 years he would already have achieved this multiple amount of times over with his track record.

The phrase "Enough rope there Tubs?" springs to mind.

Post edited by alzer100 on

His new column. Desperate stuff, terrible writing. Every paragraph starts "I ......"

It smacks of a serious inferiority complex, something I always thought he had and it comes out in his nervousness when interviewing major stars.

Anyway, I don't buy the Mail so not financing that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭Tork

I think you've hit on something - the nervousness. I don't know if he has an inferiority complex but he sounds like a man who knows he's out of his depth. That would explain the speedy chatter, the tangents and his continuing to return to safe subjects. They're the sort of things you'd expect from a kid starting out on local radio, not an experienced broadcaster in his fifties. There was and is no need for him to talk so much about himself. Me me me becomes tiresome for even the most interesting of people. If he could only say less and get better at listening to what other people have to say, he'd make his own life far easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And compounding this lack of talent is the lack of staff behind him feeding him content and cue cards. He has nothing new, so is forced to return to the same gameplay. Again and again.

But if he repays the 150k I'll forgive him by simply forgetting he exists. Until then though....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Who is writing that for him? It is bad beyond belief, surely the powers that be in the Daily Mail group are aware of this?

Even if someone is writing for him, it's his responsibility to proof read it. You can let it go once, or maybe twice, but every week so far it's poor. Either totally lazy on his part for not proof reading (well we know he's not used to a full days work), or else he wrote the shyte himself and is of the belief that it's good enough.

Reads like something he threw together after getting a text reminding him that the deadline for submission is is 30 minutes.

I'm convinced that it is he himself who is writing it. Joe Duffy wrote for them for a while, we used to read the MoS on a Monday, seems the Sunday night security guard was a patron. It was a bit better than Tubs, but dire stuff nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Aristocratic? Have you totally lost the run of yourself. 🤣 Him and Jackie Healy-Rae.

It can never be said that I didn't give him some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Is he on a trial period with Virgin, like 3 months or is it a yearly contract?

I think he has a pay as you go meter installed

• Registered Users Posts: 9,022 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Every paragraph starts "I ......"

Why the unnecessary exaggeration when it's so easy to verify the facts? There's 24 paragraphs in the article. Four of them start with "I". That's 16.6666% - absolutely nowhere near "every paragraph".

Look, the article is terrible. We all know that. But it's the Mail On Sunday. It's supposed to be terrible. That's the target audience: readers of terrible articles. They're a legitimate and lucrative demographic, and it's pure snobbery to think that they shouldn't be catered for.

Plenty of people here asking has Tubridy even proofread it - completely missing the point. First up, proof reading is the act of reading a text to check for errors (spelling, grammatical or factual). It's never a good idea to proofread your own work - it should always be done by someone else, and in this case, it's the Mail On Sunday's responsibility to do that. I don't see any such errors in the article, so I can only assume it has indeed been proofread.

Secondly, there's a Sub Editor responsible for taking what Tubridy hands in and re-writing it for the newspaper. It's entirely possible that what he hands in is a perfectly crafted article, worthy of The Times. Then the Sub Ed chops it up into the house-style of the MOS. Or it could be that the article is written entirely by the Sub Ed from a phone interview with Tubridy. Either way, the article is written in the style and covering the topics that the MOS want, and ultimately what the audience of the MOS want and expect - easy-to-read celebrity titbits and vicarious tales.

There's a lot of things to criticise Tubridy for; an awful lot. But starting every paragraph with an I, and not proofreading, aren't two of them.

• Advertisement

Sub editors notoriously hate having to rewrite entire articles from contributors that can’t write properly. It’s not their job to make sense out of illogical or inaccurate prose. Their job is to make the article fit the space available- shorten edit and headline it. They absolutely hate these celebs trying to offload their jobs on them

Advertisement