Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It would appear now though that most of us who used to 'hate listen' to Ryan when he was on rte, don't even tune in any more to Virgin, he is that bad.

The post count highlights this. Sometimes none, other times 1 or 2 posts per day. He really is that bad now.

Since he started in VR on 4th Jan, I think I have listened to a total of about 20min. Couldn't listen to any more. It's truly awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Professional radio hosts, producers, programmers and consultants agree - Tubridy does not sound good on air at Virgin Radio/Q102.

In fact, most have given him the chance to improve by not listening but then dropping in after a couple of months have passed and rather like the referendum last Friday, we all know how that played out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭JVince

my guess is you are not his target market. I don't have the opportunity to listen to radio during the morning, so I haven't heard him - nor did I hear him on rte.

I do listen a lot in afternoons, and I absolutely despise joe duffy. But I don't listen to him and go on boards and start ranting. He's just not my cup of tea - plenty of choice out there for me to enjoy listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Never listened to him on RTÉ radio, caught the occasional segment of his LLS, but never managed a full show because he’s simply unbearable…

listened to a few links of his Virgin gig back in January and not listened since… confirmed what I already know…

I thoroughly enjoy this thread though..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

There is also the life imitating art angle, important for us Alan Partridge fans.

It's breathtaking stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

You help make it very entertaining. Keep up the good work. Complaining about people complaining about people complaining would take it to the next level though 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I listened to the 1st week and haven’t gone near it since.

I was reassured that Tubridy was simply finding his feet. He was naturally suffering from some nerves which would dissipate and a professional outfit such as Virgin Radio would soon iron out any creases.

Is it safe to assume that RT is now a comfortable and calm, soothing voice?

I take he’s stopped that really annoying habit of not finishing sentences and thoughts before quickly moving onto the next cringeworthy, milquetoast toast thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

I enjoy your posts I must say and I can see why you were once, albeit self described, “a bit of a boards.ie legend”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Thank you. I do think some of the AI generated stuff isn’t great around here. As I said, the radio forum on Boards is very well-known for the fascinating collection of madmen, oddballs, eccentrics, cranks and contrarians it attracts. Long may it continue.

We're fascinated with the further adventures of Barter Account Boy, and you're fascinated with our fascination.

Winners all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Rarely listen to LL any more, or indeed Ray D'Arcy.

But I do think it's worth tuning in randomly maybe once a month just to remind yourself that these guys are being paid 350,000 per year (and were once on 500,000) by a busted business using our money.

Post edited by NIMAN on

When I had to emigrate in 2011 tubs was on around 800k (open to clarification) and there was 15% unemployment.

I wonder if there were any Barter style workarounds used in the following years.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭animalinside

I find it creepy and weird how Tubridy is calling her his "best friend". He's a 50-something year old man who was acquainted with her for professional purposes. He has no business calling a 12 year old girl his friend, especially not his best friend.

I assume Tubridy probably thinks of it as some massive compliment to her. Her friends and best friend was someone her own age, imagine how her actual best friend feels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭tom23

Post amended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Lads, using the death of a young girl to get your digs in at Tubs is pretty grim tbh. Reflects more on you than him. Glad I wasn’t born with such a bleak and cynical worldview. Must be tough going.

You know what you are actually correct. I’ll amend my post. Tubridy still a narcissistic sap though.

Amended.

Post edited by animalinside on

it’s not chief.. while i think you are on to something with your post… on reflection it’s just not the right time or place. Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I sometimes forget who is parodying who. Or who came first, a sort of chicken and egg conundrum. Did Ryan see Alan Partridge and think "Thats the sort of presenter I want to be"(while completely missing the joke), or was Alan Partridge born from watching a young and inexperienced Ryan, who, unfortunately, didn't get any better with age.

I have no intention of "getting digs" at Tubridy, I've tried to ignore him but he's all over the media again, on the front page of the Mail on Sunday calling her his friend.

I think it's right to call that out as creepy and weird and bad behaviour.

It was a bit similar when Sinead O' Connor passed away acting as if they were the best of friends and she offered him "safe haven", as if she was on his side the whole time. Who knows if maybe some of it is partly true but if they had wanted to say something about it why not make it public themselves.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/showbiz/ryan-tubridy-sinead-o-connor-30581752

• Advertisement

Look i’m not telling you what to do, far from it. I’ve no time for Turbridy. None what’s so ever. Maybe it’s the photo of that child and how depressingly sad her passing is… I just wouldn’t mention it. The bobson fella is correct, the only time I’d agree with him on anything to do with the so called Irelands most trusted man.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

I only follow to see if he’s paid back the €150,000 he acknowledged he owes the Irish people who paid the enforced licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Shortly after Easter, the first indications of whether Tubridy's career has been resurrected will appear (the RAJARs and JNLRs). There may be some interest across the Irish broadcasting industry to see how things went. Curiously, the numbers of app download and online listeners haven't been mentioned recently or at least since that fluff piece when he started on Virgin Radio

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Tow

Tubs will now tell is UK audience about the death of great man Charlie Bird.

Will Tubs helicopter ride be mentioned?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I have Tubs on now, doing my bit to boost his ratings.

So far he has crashed the vocals, then apologize for doing so. Waffled on about jockeys who are taller than him. Sent messages to a listener called Jody to send a more details about herself.

The voiceovers sound like he did them himself. Cheltenham is supposed to be on, but he said nothing about it except for the tall jockeys. I went to school with lads who had encyclopaedic knowledge of the horses, jockeys and their performance.

He is on about his 'Just my luck competition'. Win a 20 quid book voucher!

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Managed to hear his first 45 minutes today. He is a disgrace to humanity let alone radio with his blithering and nervous self conscious style. You can tell that he believes that he is brilliant and is clearly disinterested if it fails in this next link. He seems to believe that in life there'll always be the safety net of nepotism, NKM, middle class obsequious followers and fools willing enough to believe his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Looks like next Sunday's MoS diary has written itself, the death of poor Charlie Bird.

"As I stumbled along, breathless, behind Charlie as he strode forward up the slope that day, I made the connection between Charlie's physical struggle and the many struggles big and small we all face, like when you get a watery, cold cappuccino that's just cost you £5, or when the train is late and you have to organise alternate transport. Sometimes, you just have to roll with punches......"

£20 book voucher is too stingy for even for local radio. It's non profit community radio at best.

• Advertisement

There may have been a coffee cup prize as well. Big spenders are Paddy Power...

Advertisement