Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

That's what an agent is for: to have industry contacts. This only shows the worth of having someone like Noel Kelly on your side, like him or not.

Do you think other sponsorship deals just happen by accident?

This whole line of thinking that the Paddy Power sponsorship deal - one of the most marketing savvy companies in the UK - is somehow and indication that thing aren't going well for Tubridy is, frankly, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭yagan

The sponsorship deal is no guarantee that Virgin won't let RT go if feedback from their regular listeners is instructive. Paddypower has committed a years sponsorhship for the slot so no loss to the station if they swap out RT for someone more UK centric.

Also as someone else pointed out before that a gambling addiction piece was supposed to appear on RTs LLS but mysterious kept getting put off. No doubt a favour is being repaid in London.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The gambling industry is insidious.

Some of the documentaries I've seen on it over the years are scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The chief executive of Classic Hits Radio has raised concerns with Coimisiún na Meán (formerly the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland) over the streaming of the new Tubridy show on local radio stations in Ireland.

As reported in the Irish Examiner, Kevin Brannigan said he did not believe it was appropriate for a UK programme to be broadcast on local Irish radio because it ate into the airtime of local talent. 

Today, also sees the launch of a new weekend show, The Ryan Tubridy Show on Sunday.

Broadcast from London, it is being aired across Q102, Cork’s 96FM, Limerick’s Live 95 and LMFM.

However, one of Cork’s most popular radio shows has been slashed in half to make way for the new show.

From today, the Oldies and Irish programme on Cork’s 96FM — which had an audience reach of 60,000 people on Sundays in the most recent JNLR figures - will be broadcast for two hours only, instead of four as has been the case for over 30 years.

Presented by veteran broadcaster Derry O’Callaghan, the show features a mix of opera and Irish favourites, and has had a regular slot on the radio station’s Sunday morning schedule since 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

I switched off Limk 95 after the 10 am news today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You need to have a certain amount of posts before you can post pictures up, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

If he actually has anything, and this isn't a spoof from a re-reg in the knowledge that the photos won't upload, he should pm someone who can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I agree tubs has effectively distorted the former rte management and any credibility they may have had.

Their hubris has been their undoing.

But while bakhurst talks of 400 jobs to go either voluntary redundancy or otherwise, unless everyone from the top down is singing off the same hymn sheet, things won't change.

I appreciate the man came into a new job and doubtful he saw the sh$tshow that was to come.

Piece in the Examiner just now saying there 8000 downloads last week for the Virgin radio app, 4 times the usual week download rate. So the RT bump was only 6000. It seems very low considering all the hype.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Yes, but I would also urge any regular poster here to be careful before posting information being sent from someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Claire Byrne could host the Toy Show in her sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Or in her shed, if they're looking to cut costs...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Sorry if this has been mentioned already and I missed it but, I wonder are Virgin paying his wages to "Ryan Tubridy" or to " Tuttle Productions LTD" or to another company set up for his UK gig.

And

Will any taxes due be paid to HMRC or to the Irish Revenue Commissioners?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I don't get the want to have the LLS remain after PK stint.

It's it so important to this country or to the watching public?

It seems to always be the same formula. Same rotation of guests.

The demographic of viewing public is changing. The older generation who would have watched it religiously are dying out. Do younger people brought up on a diet of streaming and access to everything on the net really want to watch the LLS in the coming decades?

Personally thing it should die a quiet painless death and let rte admit that this country doesn't have access to the celebrities needed to keep a 'talk show' going.

I know I don't watch it. Haven't since the early 80s and have no interest in doing so.

And don't get me started on viewing figures. Where they pull the numbers of viewer/listener figures from for tv or radio shows is a mystery to me😃

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Kevin Bee was the Deputy Director General in RTÉ for 6 months when Dee Forbes was DG, Kevin Bee had been acting DG for 6 months prior. He knows how RTÉ works, we are just finding out about it now, what he is fixing he knew about and had been aware of almost all of it, I doubt he was surprised, his only problem is: how does he fix something that he'd hope to return to?

IN MY OPINION :)

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I never watched it in the Kenny or tubridy years, but I had enjoyed Kielty gigs over the years. He can read a hall the way the other two never learned how to.

I actually found myself for the first time in my adult life feeling disappointed it wasn't on last Friday, and that's only because I enjoy Kielty.

Will it survive after Kielty? If it doesn't no loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

how is ryan doing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

The Orish appears to have been turned down a lot, from what have heard this morning. Talking about (free) museums, local pubs and walking around Soho with his daughter. Delightful that he was recognised and photo requested a English Native...

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Absolutely knocked it out of the park , great broadcasting

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I often listen to Q102, when I'm at home, I like listening to something light and easy, just background music.

I have turned the dial since he arrived, but happened to hear that. So he is already being asked for photos... 😉 what next!

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

Probably, he has now gone back to Orish mode, as a caller talked about the Young Scientist Exhibition.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cue Home Countries caller outraged they are exhibiting the Young Scientists like zoo animals.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,980 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This format will make Tubridy a star , his problem on rte was he had too much airtime , now when he has said the main banter they cut to a song and he doesn't have to waffle himself out

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marcel Sweet

The whole Tubs saga points up the utter idiocy of RTE paying such unrealistic salaries to their "Stars".

"We have to pay them mega bucks 'cause they would be poached" was the Montrose bleat'

Well now their biggest "Star" who was on North of 550K euro is plying his trade in the UK on a very small fraction of that.

Rum do ...innit ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Has he started to move past being Irish yet, or is it still all about being Irish and Ireland again this week?

If so, he's probably not intending this to be a long term gig and has little interest in making it big in the UK. Its a stopgap until RTE believe he has served his time and he's brought back in. And if RTE do that, its curtains for RTE and licence fee revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

He's giving the waffling a fair lash all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭hawley

He was asked for a recommendation for a person who is not really into reading. The book he recommended (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly), was one that he did on his book club on Radio One more than ten years ago. He did the same thing a few years back when asked what is his favourite book. He answered 'Never Let Me Go', which was also part of that book club.

Considering that the book club only lasted for about a year and included maybe a dozen titles, it's odd that he's still almost exclusively picking them as his favourite books over a decade later. Makes me think that he's a spoofer of the highest order when he calls himself a bookworm. Also, he didn't pick those titles for the book club on RTE, so it's not like the were his all time favourite books. He read them as part of his job. He seems to love short books, that are only one hundred pages long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Advertisement