Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

My dad's family actually used the verb to electrolux !

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

At 20 past 12 today, Tubridy did another one of his 50,000 thoughts in one link - rambled between criticising a listener for liking "custard cream marshmallows" (and yet saying in the end he would have to try them?)

And blithering aimlessly over to slagging off French Leader Macron for spending time in "Le Gym" and asking us do we really need to see his muscles?

Everything Tubridy says lacks any real conviction i.e. you can't slag off custard cream flavoured anything til you have tried it. In the same way if you are a puny nerd stick insect, then do you need to slag off a world leader for showing his physique? It is all so uncomfortable, insecure, disjointed, weird and a rather awkward laboursome tiring listen. Tubridy's style, delivery and content hasn't altered since January 2nd and he is sounding worse than ever. There is absolutely no incentive on his part neither to improve on air or re-invent himself and so is sinking faster than the Mi Amigo after it ran aground.

When will Mike Cass and Scott Taunton finally call a halt to this insanity and Dyson up this mess?

Post edited by alzer100 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I do occasionally drop in on his show a couple of times a week to analyse and I do actually try to give him the benefit of the doubt. It seems I am disappointed a little more with each listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ah, come on now, B. You’ve never given him the benefit of the doubt. I’m very surprised you’re still giving “rundowns” of the show, now that he’s moved from RTÉ.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

you can't slag off custard cream flavoured anything til you have tried it.

An example of when your daily analysis of the minutiae of the show falls short of giving the benefit of the doubt.

Any reasonable person would understand that anyone who has tasted custard cream biscuits could perfectly validly express a dislike for custard cream marshmallows before tasting them. There's nothing inherent to the marshmallow that would influence the custard cream flavour in any significant way. Einstein could well have had tasting custard cream flavoured confectionary in mind when he allegedly said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.". At some point, you know whether you like custard cream or not, and you don't have to keep on trying it.

I know I sound like a broken record, but there's a surfeit of things one could criticise Tubridy for - a genuine abundance - but expressing a pre-determined dislike for custard cream marshmallows based on previous experience of biscuits of the same flavour is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

One doesn't need to listen to the full show on a daily basis to arrive at the conclusion Tubridy is completely inept & way way out of his league...

Unless of course each link that posters here have listened to randomly is the one bad apple of a link in an otherwise perfectly delivered radio show by a master of his art.... or maybe he knows one of his critics from Boards is listening and delivers a pi$$ poor link just for the craic, and once he gets word they have tuned out, returns to polished, professional & charismatic output.......

Maybe everyone is randomly listening at the completely wrong time, and everything we don't hear is radio gold worthy of Terry Wogan himself, or Gaybo...

Tubbers is trolling us all.

Response to Gregor Samsa:

My giving Tubridy the benefit of the doubt is in relation to the expectation of professionalism of presentation and relevance of subject content required when presenting on music radio. I am sure your analysis of Einstein's supposed sampling of Custard Creams and how they may have influenced some of his theories or sayings would have intrigued him. And if he dropped any crumbs in the process, I'm sure he would have loved to have been graced with your services as a team leader armed with your Dyson to clean up the mess.

However, that being said with respect to the closing of some of your posts, I for one would never imply or suggest that you sound like a broken record Gregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Trampas

He finds all the issues with the buttons. I guess that’s worth a million alone

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Up and down the aisle all the day but not a single toy bought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Your mantra is: 'There are so many things one could criticise Tubridy for...' followed by a swift rebuttal of whatever the criticism de jour happens to be. So let's hear some of your criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭hawley

He's making personal messages for birthdays and other events now. He would have looked down his nose at that a year ago. Remember him ridiculing Nigel Farage for charging £100 per personal message, a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Senior Hurling

“Ross has some good connections because he works in PR,” she adds

Sounds like a favour to a mate, or a mate of a mate, rather than the kind of pimping out Farage was doing.

More like the kind of thing Sir Paul McCartney did for Tubridy himself on the last Late Late Show. Common enough amongst celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Poor aul tubridy....slumming it....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Farage being an established UK Politician has infinitely more connections naturally than Tubridy would ever dream of having.

Whether this is a favour for a mate of a mate, NKM will still have to have taken their cut.

The irony is that neither Piers Morgan nor Tubridy will ever receive much less ever present the REAL Oscars.

There are many things you can desperately attempt to defend Tubridy for but selling his soul to the devil for 150k and then cheaply pimping himself out to record birthday greetings for £100 a time (now that he's no longer on half a mil on the RTE gravy train) is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Listening to the last 20mins

Starts of with some freebies or some such, then moves to a news paper article about Keir Starmer being a musician.

Music

Welcome back to someone arriving in Dublin after 7 weeks in Aussieland

Nostaligia from a Dubliner about a night club

Music

Mummbles mummbles ..... Gail (sounding Irish) gets a birthday request for herself ...

Music

And A mad exit for the weekend.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Have you any proof that this was a paid gig? (I have no proof that it wasn't.)

Keep eating like that Tubs and the aul arteries won't be long about clogging up! Don't you hear all the research about people who post pictures of their food on social media?

Who ya gonna call?

Dr. Death visits Highgate Cemetary. Missing his fix of Death agus Depression, "Harrowing stories" and general gloom in Montrosia - Tubridy makes a school trip to a graveyard.

Off to Wimbledon. Read all about it NEXT Weekend in the MoS Child's Essay section.

• Advertisement

Tubridy sounded out of it today. So much so, he pulled himself up on one of his rambling links and paused to say "aaaargh don't be the stereotype" (like he has been affected by criticism of his nauseating rambling mindless drivel)

In a later "link" he proceeded to dissect music releases which are "maudlin' " or slow covers of popular upbeat songs. And attempted to sing a Beatles song in a slow slit your wrists style. This led to him getting self consciously embarrassed and referring to staff of Virgin Radio staring through the side window of the studio at him. A real Partridge-esque/Toblerone "Lynn" moment.

There are not many skills or talents we can praise Tubs for - but being an entertaining, tight, topical or relevant on-air host on radio is DEFINITELY not one of them.

There's no evidence that Tubridy is recoding birthday greetings for any sum of money. None. That's entirely in your head.

A once off favour to business contacts, with two other titans of the communications world (Morgan and Scaramucci), to spice up an Oscars® party isn't evidence of anything other than being a good sport. Morgan and Tubridy are good pals, maybe he brought the three together. There could be other opportunities in that...

I hate having to point it out repeatedly, I really, really do: but here's a wide variety of things to criticise Tubridy for, and being a good sport at an Oscars® party isn't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Did you know that crab sticks don't actually contain any crab? Since 1986 manufacturers have been legally obliged to label them 'Crab Flavoured Sticks'.

You've misquoted Partridge. it's 1993, not 1986.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

In that case I think they have to be called "Crab Flavour Sticks", not "Crab Flavoured Sticks", as the latter would imply that they were flavoured with crab.

In 1982 the UK Office of Fair Trading took the manufacturer of Hedgehog Flavoured Crisps to court for a breach of the Trades Descriptions Act. The product was renamed to "Hedgehog Flavour Crisps".

The only thing that I would point out and it's really only nitpicking, is that you may have focused too much on displaying the registered symbol R after the Oscars, that you overlooked inserting the second r into 'recoding'. Unless of course Tubridy is some kind of buggy AI program which needs to be updated, for which that would be a total misinterpretation on my part and you may have gotten me again.

I'm not getting into the AI thing again, that took a weird turn last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I have checked on with my kids, and they have confirmed that the toy man is, in fact, Patrick Kielty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Should've finished the crossword before taking the picture.....

Advertisement