Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Lol, do you really think Fidel Castro was just sitting around, and a Cuban peasant decided to take a casual shot of him eating an ice cream? Come on now...

This mockery that Tubridy gets for allegedly always pointing in photos is tiresome. Look, here's Westlife's Shane Filan doing the pointing, while none other than pop impresario Louis Walsh poses with the ice cream. And nobody mocks them.

Post edited by Gregor Samsa on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Yeah, no one has ever mocked Louis Walsh or Westlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

More importantly, they are all famous people. Tubridy isn't. He has been off Irish TV for just under a year now and off Irish national broadcasters (apart from the new coverage of the Oireachtas appearances) since about July last year. The value of his Irish brand has diminished. The fact that his former slot gained listeners under different presenters is a major problem when it comes to getting him back on an Irish national broadcaster. Maybe RTE, in the past, could accept such losses but commercial radio is very different.

Tubridy isn't famous like those people in the ice cream photos. He isn't famous for being famous. He was famous in Ireland because of RTE marketing and being on RTE TV and radio. Take that marketing powerhouse away and a lot of the value he would bring to a broadcaster disappears too. The Virgin Radio exile might have initially been for a year but it seems to be getting overtaken by reality. The next few RAJARs and JNLRs will be critical.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Tubs plots coup after Leo's departure, saying, "Toyman is back, ice creames all round... you know I was never a cigar man but enough about me a drug use... did you see the tricolour ... do you think I will get a state funeral... Kate and Charlie in hospital ... sure isn't it a mad world... oh Roisin from galway is looking for me to give back some money... don't know what that caller is talking about ... and aren't Irish names funny ... I was just talking to Chris Evans before the show... well here from 1 to 3 .... Fidel has nothing on me ... you ain't seein' nothing yet ... oh I read this book while eating jelly babies".

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

Yes, let's pretend the presenter of the Late Late Show - an absolute institution of Irish broadcasting - from 2009 to 2023 isn't famous in Ireland. Let's pretend the presenter of multiple national radio shows on both 2FM and Radio One from 2004 onwards isn't famous. Lets pretend the subject of this 84 page, 2497 post, thread you regularly post on isn't famous.

Let's pretend all that.

He told them to do it,

Look lads I can always be eating ice creams and pointing next you'll have me both eating an ice cream and pointing

Best I can do and that comes from the point thread!

______

Yesterday

Who's that, RoTelly? I've never heard of or encountered that person in any media before; be it TV, radio, online or print. They're a complete unknown to me and all my compatriots. I'm bewildered as to why you would post a photograph of them on this thread, that's discussing someone called Ryan Tubridy, who I also have never, ever, heard of.

Am I doing it right, J?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I don't think Tubs had a pile of friends in RTE. I always got the impression he'd be your friend if it was advantageous to him, otherwise "meh"

The point is simple: take away the organisation and the shows that promoted him in Ireland and what's left? Tubridy's value to an Irish national broadcaster thinking of hiring him was primarily based on his former prominence as a TV presenter and a radio presenter on a national broadcaster.

The first cut to his value was when he stood down from the LLS. There was no replacement TV show and he was effectively off Irish TV.

The second cut to his value was when RTE took him off air and he then proceeded to muck up a lifeline deal to bring him back on RTE radio.

He spent approximately six months off air until he resurfaced on a UK radio station that syndicated his programme to Irish local radio stations. Not Irish national broadcasters. Just local radio stations.

The third cut to his value was when Oliver Callan took over his former slot on RTE for 150K. Leaving aside the symbolic nature of that number, it is a starting point for any salary negotiation for Tubridy if any Irish broadcaster wants to hire him. This is a far cry from when Tubridy was RTE's highest earner.

Fame is fickle. Those who seek it need to be in the public eye and need the public's attention. Without it, people forget. And there are always others eager to take the place of the formerly famous. In Irish terms, Tubridy is on a UK radio station and no longer part of the pantheon of famous Irish national broadcasters. The longer he stays there, the more people in Ireland forget about him.

Do you agree that, unlike the genuinely famous people in your ice cream photos, we should consider his fame to be fading? After all, when is the last time you saw him on Irish TV?

Without his presence on a national TV and radio broadcaster like RTE and without the marketing power of a large organisation like RTE, is his value to an Irish broadcaster less than it was when he was RTE's highest earner? When it comes to Tubridy being famous in Ireland, RTE giveth and RTE taketh away.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

You would be wrong. He was widely considered to be ‘one of the good guys’. Staff were upset when they heard he wouldn’t be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Louis Walsh cobbled together two hugely successful boybands from a collection of Irish young fellas. Some could sing, some couldn't. All looked good and had an appeal. He then teamed them up with brilliant songwriters who are experts at churning out pop hits. He made a packet. So did the guys in the bands and some have remained in the industry, like Ronan Keating, and still have a very comfortable living.

It's a huge insult to Louis Walsh, Ronan Keating, Shane Filan etc to equate them with Tubridy. Yes they are all famous in Ireland, but all of them bar Tubridy got to where they are on merit. Even Keith Duffy could sit on a stool seductively and provide backing vocals for the lead, ie the basic set of skills required for being in a boyband. Tubridy never managed to master the basic set of skills for TV or radio broadcasting. And still hasnt.

Look, that's like saying of Fidel Castro "take away the Communist Party of Cuba and the fact that he led the Cuban Revolution and was leader of Cuba for 49 years, and what do you have left? Nothing! You don't see him on TV now! He's a freakin' nobody!"

There's no need to try so hard! It's ok to be critical of Tubridy without entering this... this realm of the fantastic or whatever your trying to construct. Let's stick to the facts.

There's many things to be critical of Tubridy of. But not being famous, or being unfamous, is not two of them.

Is "unfamous" a word? Perhaps you'd agree that Tubridy is formerly famous. All those people in your ice cream photos are famous and remain so. Without the his presence on RTE TV and radio and without RTE's marketing machine to promote him, he's rapidly approaching a situation where the only thing for whcih people in Ireland will remember him will be the Tubridy Pay Scandal. This is going to be a major consideration for any Irish national broadcaster considering hiring him and a potential deal breaker for a return to RTE.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭mountain

Fair point about him being very well known,

however I do think that the longer he is gone from RTE, he will drift from people’s interest, as shown here on the reducing about of posts.

in the 15 mins or so I listened for today, he read out a message from someone in Westmeath which I thought was odd

in the 15 mins or so I listened for today, he read out a message from someone in Westmeath which I thought was odd

I don’t actually know anyone from Westmeath, but as far as I know they’re as capable of writing messages as anyone else. 🤷🏻

Currently living in Westmeath and know a few, I do believe that they can write, however I wonder if they are listening to Tubs!

______

Yesterday

Is "unfamous" a word?

Yes, it is.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/unfamous#

Being “famous” is the state of being known about by many people. It’s ludicrous - ludicrous - to claim that Tubridy is not a household name in Ireland. And getting more and more well known in the UK too, with his national radio show, I might add.

Your credibility is on the line here.

Is it correct to say that Tubridy is now mainly known for the Tubridy Payments Scandal? Without him having a TV show on an Irish national broadcaster or a radio show on an Irish national radio broadcaster, isn't his fame diminishing? So what if he has a mid-morning show on a small UK radio station which is syndicated to a few Irish local radio stations, the reality is that he is no longer has a presence on either Irish national TV or Irish national radio.

RTE giveth and RTE taketh away. And it certainly did with Tubridy. Having a mid-morning show on a UK station might as well have him broadcasting from the dark side of the Moon for most of the listeners to his former radio slot on RTE. Not only have they failed to follow Tubridy, the numbers listening to the slot on RTE have also increased. This makes the prospect of a triumphal return to RTE at the same pre-scandal salary less likely. Perhaps he will make a success of things in the UK. Let's see what the RAJARs say.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Well we might just continue to point out the pointing, if it’s all right with you, so to speak 👉👈

• Advertisement

How did we get to Tubs being compared to despots and RTÉ like a mediocre karaoke singers!

______

Yesterday

The intriguing and completely bonkers case of the ice cream conundrum? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Infamous would the the word you’re looking for, I guess.

Infamy Infamy! they all have it in fo’ me!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

Emma O'Kelly rocks! One of the few in RTE whose Daddy doesn't work there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Not in my experience. I know a few RTE technical and behind the scenes staff and many would consider Tubs to be an awful ballbag. In contrast another person centre stage in the payments scandal, Marty Morrissey, would be well liked.

Morrissey knows how lucky he is, doesn't take himself too seriously and wouldn't have an ounce of arrogance.

Ironically, Kenneth Williams was a well known actor, diarist and chatshow guest. Tubridy, not so much. :)

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

A gentleman and national treasure if ever there was one. Who courts no criticism when he poses with an ice cream or points.

There’s a double standard at play here.

There are many things for which Marty Morrissey can be criticised. Being Ryan Tubridy is not one of them. :)

People seem to like Marty Morrissey and he seems quite down to Earth. Also knows about GAA stuff.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭TheBMG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Advertisement