Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

150KTubs - future career in Virgin Radio and other soulful pursuits **Mod: Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Red Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

‘Sunshine’ is a decent option for that if you’ve gone off Q102.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

To be fair to him, books are like music in that you don’t, necessarily, recommend your favourite book, or album, to someone who isn’t that into books or music.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Chocolatier

He has never pretended to be an intellectual. Low-middle brow is his terrain, Liz Nugent that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

They could probably run it through a Sterling barter account, they would have the know-how for this already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Thanks, I switch away just while he is on.

I think I landed on Nova today. Will try Sunshine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

It’s all nervous energy, amateur hour stuff. The guy is absolutely atrocious at what he’s supposed to be doing. You’d almost feel sorry for him if he wasn’t such a horrible individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Sounded even more comfortable today and seems to be genuinely enjoying himself now. I'm sure having his daughters over at the weekend gave him a boost.

I wonder should this thread be left open when the other was locked? It's a bit of an inconsistency/loophole. I didn't agree with the other thread being locked but if one is the other should be too?

moderator: Pintman Paddy Losty was warned for this. A double-whammy of backseat moderating and disrespecting the moderators.

Post edited by hullaballoo on

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FattyBolger

“Tubs says thanks to Buble for the message when clearly Buble has been asked as Tubs says Buble is in Orlando with his wife and kids and had to go into a quiet corner to record the message. (If it was just a friend sending a message, could just do it at home)“

I can’t figure out what you’re trying to say here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

yep open the other thread so things are back to normal.

The toyman was getting some roasting over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Drier

He’s painful to listen to. Hard to know if he’s head is right at all

Listening to another music station in the car this afternoon. The presenter received a text from a listener stating "Such a refreshing change from the age of talking heads and ads"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Listen, the fact of the matter is that Virgin Radio management decided Ryan would be a good fit for their key morning slot. RTE bashing is a bit of an automatic response for some people, but it’s harder dismiss the entire Virgin team as being grossly incompetent. They picked their man.

I’d trust their knowledge of the industry ahead of some depressed middle-aged lad giving out on Twitter.

That’s the way it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Morgans

10-1 is their key morning slot?

They picked their man on a hugely knocked down salary.

A no-lose situation for them

Yes it is.

I know some people weren’t going to be happy unless Tubs ended up drinking cheap red wine from a bottle down on Dún Laoghaire Main Street while wetting himself and mumbling about the good old days.

Instead he has bounced back. UK audience, syndicated show in Ireland, any rumours about salary about just that - rumours. New city, partner living with him, new apartment, plenty of time to read books and do some writing. Things worked out well. That annoys some people but that’s their issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

I thought the Paddy Power sponsorship was going to start this week, but heard nothing in the half hour or so i lissen to today. It appears he has been told to crank down both the Orish and talking speed. On his first day Tubbs as gasping for air between sentences.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Is it just me or are any more getting fed up of the self appointed "nerd" bookworm persona he has created since he joined Virgin Radio.

So boring.

At Least Gerry Ryan and Chris Evans can think off the cuff and come up with original stuff.

It may get easier for him once he gets the melted Toblerone off his face.

Different presenters have different styles and personalities - absolute shocker.

• Advertisement

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

He has zero personality so appoints one to himself.

He was ‘the toyman’ in Ireland.

Now he’s ‘the reader ?’ In England.

The above post by @hawley is very insightful.

We all know the type. Wants to to come across as well versed in all aspects of culture but is a sad pseudo-intellectual at best but most likely just a proper ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Ah one week isn't the ' last laugh' 🥴😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

He was at that on the RTÉ radio programme too. One of the last times I remember him talking about books prior to the gravy train derailing was him going about "chain smoking books" over the previous days.

Post edited by Frank Grimes on

I never knew the idea of being a fan of books and talking about them could cause such ire. Lots of people love reading and talking about books. It’s not unusual.

Yeah. It has become clear that despite Tubridy continually talking about books, that he doesn't. It's his manufactured persona that is 'causing such ire'.

What proof do you have that he doesn’t read the books he talks about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭Tow

He talks about the same handful of books, as if he has just read them. There have already been example of this posted.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

None whatsoever. However I know people who are actual 'bookworms', who live for reading and have encyclopedic knowledge of all things literary. Ryan wants to be viewed as one of those but has barely a leaving cert knowledge of books.

It's like calling yourself a huge Beatles fan, cos it suits, and when asked what your favourite album, you say 'The best of the Beatles'. It's the fakery that 'causes ire'.

Advertisement