Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Q Time clock

• 30-12-2023 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Just looking for some advise. The mechanical time clock in my 16 year old Firebird Super Q 50/90 stopped working a few weeks ago, thought it was burned out so ordered a new one. Fitted the new one today, it was a like for like swap but unfortunately the time clock is still not working. The boiler works fine when set on ''manual'' but when time clock is set it 'ignores it' and just runs continuously as if set on 'manual'. This is the same issue I had with the original time clock which I thought was goosed, as it happens it was almost seized up but I managed to free it (after taking it out) with some silicon spray. Would the fact that it was almost seized up have caused some damage to wiring or blown a hidden fuse somewhere that is now causing the exact same issue with the new time clock ? I Checked all wiring connections etc. and all seem fine. My electrician is off to next Tuesday and tells me it will be at least 3 weeks before he'll call due to work backlog.

Any advise, observations greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭jimf

is the new timer holding the correct time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭monseiur

Hi Jimf, thanks for replying.

It seems to be holding the correct time, but say the time clock is set for the boiler to come on at 4.00 pm for 1 hour, it will not switch off at 5.00 but will keep going as if on 'manual' - same problem as the old timer. I temporarily refitted the old timer after freeing it up, just to double check and no change. Could the old timer (that was almost seized) have damaged some wiring or relay or perhaps the new timer is also faulty ?

Hi again, I re reading my reply it seems I did not make the problem very clear. It is not possible to set the boiler to come on say at 4.00pm as it will be on continuously anyhow whether the timer clock is set or not. Apologies for confusion.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Depending on wiring, it could be a problematic zone valve.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

Can I ask one more question, would it be OK to leave new timer as is - manual constantly on and replace the boiler isolation switch with say an APT immersion type timer switch, it has off, on and timer. I guess one downside is that the timer would switch both boiler and circulation pump off at the same time. Is this a big no no ?

Thanks and a happy new year.

• Advertisement

Unless you know exactly what your current timer controlled, I wouldn't bypass it in that manner.

i wonder would it be the switch that shifts from manual to timed thats the issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We have a super q with working time clock bypassed as you describe with a climote device.

I did query at the time if killing all power to the boiler and pump via the time clock would be satisfactory but it works fine.

I don't think it's correct though.

From what you describe and as mentioned by jimf, it appears the always on / off / timer switch may not being switching between timer and always on.

same issue with both timers would lead me to have a look elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

On Super q, the switch is separate to the timeclock so.he wouldn't have changed that switch at all.

would not see it as a problem unless the boiler required a pump run on

if the stat on the boiler was set too high it might cause the boiler to trip the built in high limit stat

Hi jimf. Thanks for your input.

It's the pump run as you describe is what I'm worried about if the power is cut to both boiler & pump at the same time. I will get electrician to check the switch that shifts from always on to time clock in case the issue is there, I must admit that it never occurred that the problem could be at that end.......every day is a school day.

im nearly sure the super q has an automatic reset for the high limit stat

once the power is back on the pump would cool the stat allowing boiler to work again as normal

Advertisement