Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

insulating paint - snake oil?

• 31-12-2023 12:19pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭

we're not considering this in any sense as anything but a stopgap - we've other jobs in the house to get to first, but we have a cold wall in our breakfast room which gets damp and mouldy and we have medium term plans to completely remodel the kitchen/breakfast room. so just looking for a quick fix, if there is one.

but would insulating paint make any difference for the next year or so, or would we be wasting our money and time? if i was to believe the bumph, it's not that it behaves in a traditional insulating sense, because it's far too thin, but seems to work by reducing condensation, and that damp walls cause faster heat loss.

if anyone has real world experience of the stuff, i'd be interested to hear it.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

This stuff would be ideal for a temporary fix.....

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/zinsser-self-priming-paint-matt-white-2-5ltr/3939g

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

On "mypaintguide" the results don,t seem to rely heavily on experience and measurements, it's a more faith based thing.

I would guess someone into four leaf clover collecting would see a difference.

Were I in your position I would try to see if the thin polystyrene foam rolls were still sold and maybe top it off with aluminium foil then paint. But I am not aware of those foam rolls flooding the DIY market over the years so I guess people did as I and went the drywall route.

I used Kingspan or similar. Sitting in this house one Chrismas with two 2kW heaters on in a bedroom and watching the moisture flowing down the walls gave the impetus.

Now a 1kW radiator is more than adequate and the room is bone dry. A miracle here on the Kerry coast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheers, it's more about stopping the condensation than it is about heat loss, but I guess the two can't really be separated.

As Rows Grower mentioned, anti mould paint is probably the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Winter is half over. I call bs on it. Spend a few extra on hearing. Save the hassle and cost of painting and the mess..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'd just stick up some insulated plasterboard, tape the joints, paint and move on with life until to are ready to do the "proper" renovation works.

Advertisement