Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭shano_88

anywhere to watch the full race back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

Brilliant performance, almost silver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Excellent performance. Obviously Adeleke was the stand-out. That 48.45 leg shows that she is 100% a medal threat in Paris. She demolished Klaver, who herself will be top 5 or 6 in the Olympic final. She has to be eyeing up the gold medal at this point.

Kudos to Greene on the opening leg. I wasn’t expecting much from him, but he kept us in the hunt. Barr was solid and kept us in contention. Mawdsley did really well on the anchor. I was surprised by her going toe-to-toe with Femke Bol. She will surely run 50.xx this year individually and has room for further growth.

The only downside for me was the women’s 4x400m. Healy was solid as ever on the opening leg. None of the other three really stood-up. Adeleke won’t be able to run the heats of the 4x400m in Paris because it’s scheduled on the same day as the 400m individual final. If Mawdsley also makes the Olympic final, unlikely but not impossible, given current form, we are goosed.

Becker is only ‘ok’ on the opening leg. She needs to be splitting sub-52, not 52.6 yesterday. We’re really stuck for a fourth woman who can run a 51.xx leg. I was hoping either Harrison or Cadden would deliver last night. Neither did, running 53.xx legs, albeit Cadden was significantly faster. Hopefully, she can improve in the coming 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Great performances. Hamachi is right though about the Women's 4x4. We're doomed without Rashida and Mawdsley. But, hey, what can ya do? Small country with two top runners…. a bit like Netherlands really.

• Advertisement

Honestly, it’s a miracle that a country the size of Ireland has 4 international class women competing at the same time in one event. It may never happen again.

The best outcome for the relay would be if Mawdsley’s individual campaign ended in the semis and she and Phil Healy can drag us into the final where hopefully Adeleke is available to run. On the other hand, how amazing would it be if both Adeleke and Mawdsley made the individual final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

If anyone's thinking about going to the Europeans in Rome then now would be a good time to buy tickets. Currently for sale with a 40% discount, I bought a ticket for the opening weekend for €286, down from the initial price of €477.

€477 is steep for Europeans so not surprised they've not been shifting, but I think €286 is good for 6 sessions located at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭4Ad

Doha Diamond League later on today..

Sarah Healy and Sarah Lavin are both running this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

• Advertisement

Doha now live on BBC 2 and Virgin Media 2

Irish results:

Coscoran: 3.34 - good opener.
    Lavin: 12.73 - excellent opener. She had a heavy fall crossing the line. Hope she’s ok.
    Healy: 4.05 - little disappointing, but fine as an opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Looked like Lavin got herself a nasty graze. Fair play to her for just brushing it off, to focus on the results and the other runners. Standouts for me were Topic (her confidence has really come on, since the world champs), Dos Santos (who just looked so comfortable), and Neita - had to work very hard for it, but is really showing great strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Womens 1500m was a peculiar race, wouldnt read a huge amount into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,506 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Lavin had hard fall in the hurdles..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭deisedude

Thought it was weird the commentator didnt even mention it!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,506 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes. It was so clear to see and took a minute or so before they mentioned it

Phoebe Gill is one to watch. 1:57.86 and she turned 17 just over two weeks ago!

Huge PB for Sophie Becker in Belfast. 51:13 which qualifies her for Europeans and moves her to 5th in all time Irish list ahead of Phil Healy

Hopefully Herself and Phil continue to improve this season

Huge run from Becker. I really didn’t think she had that kind of time in her. Massive boost for the relay squad. For context, Sharlene Mawdsley’s current PB is 51.09.

• Advertisement

Few Irish in action in Savona this evening.

Women’s 400m: Sharlene Mawdsley won in 51.43 beating Keely Hodgkinson of all people, who ran 51.61. Solid enough opener from Mawdsley. I was expecting faster though given her performances at world relays and the fact that Sophie Becker ran 51.13 a few days ago.

Women’s 100m hurdles: Sarah Lavin second in 12.92.

Men’s 400m hurdles: Thomas Barr third in 49.90.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Anybody going to the Europena Champiosnhips in Rome early next month?

I happen to be in Rome that weekend and thinking of going along, anyone know what to expected? Are athletes minding themselves for Paris and so its just a glorified warm up event?

I'll be there for the opening weekend. No word yet on entry lists or any withdrawals, but you'd imagine there'll certainly be quite a few who'll give it a swerve in favour of Paris. Hoping to see both Adeleke and Mageean but wouldn't be shocked if we saw neither.

Surely, its the best trial run you can get for the Olympics. Both big European cities with warm weather.

I'd be surprised if any of our athletes turned their nose up at it. Mageean and Adeleke have a great chance of winning their respective events at Euros, that has to play into their thinking.

Also has more prestige than a World or European indoors where you do see athletes give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

it’s not about turning their nose up at it. It’s about peaking in an Olympic final and if they think Rome will help, they’ll do that. If they think it’s too much, they won’t. They both work with experienced coaches who will do what’s best for them

Adeleke said during the week she doesn’t know what her plans are yet, but the speculation was she might run the 200 in Rome

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭drury..

Bekele selected for marathon apparently

About 8yrs late

• Registered Users Posts: 18,481 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I'd expect it to be very competitive. Many athletes competing at it are not going to win an Olympic medal so will be trying very hard to medal here instead.

In somewhat surprising news, Sydney McLaughlin is racing the hurdles in Paris and not the flat 400m.

Looking forward to the duel with Bol, but if she's in her 2022 form you'd imagine she'll still be the heavy favourite. Bol might run sub 51 this year though, so who knows.

In other news, it's great for the 400m ladies, particularly Adeleke.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

She's running tomorrow in the LA Grand Prix (200m). Not an indicator, but interesting all the same (Abby Steiner and Gabby Thomas (who is doubling in the 100m, 200m over a 30 min period) also running. Paulina and Moraa in the 400m, and Hassan will run the 1,500m in a late change. More on the meet here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭tinpib

Rhasidat in that 200m race with McLaughlin too, 9:23pm our time today/Saturday.

Info, start lists, stream details here:

https://www.watchathletics.com/page/5462/usatf-los-angeles-grand-prix-2024-results

Advertisement