Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,504 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Ah brilliant. Delighted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,595 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another gold...swoon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

At last! She's had such a long wait for a gold medal.

Is she the only Irish athlete to win medals at three different European Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭omicron

Gap between last golds, 26 years, gap between this gold: 2 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭Xander10

The Brits tried to block her in but she had the confidence to know she was good enough

Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Fantastic, barging through the Brits made it even sweeter

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Brilliant! I'm so happy for Ciara after all she's been through. I was worried that she was being boxed in, but she found the gap and she powered to victory. We don't get European gold medals every day. Jerry Kiernan will be looking down, and nobody would be more proud of her. Bronze, silver and now gold. 🥇

I miss Jerry's contributions at these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

wow that was so exciting - well done to Ciara, what a race she ran!!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

We could end up with 4 golds by next weekend,W400 relays and individual W400

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

100m final is over.

You could see on Ciara’s face as she pushed through that she had lot more left than the other three. Two Brits were cooked

Jeez, RTE didn't even show the 100m? I'm stunned.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭maximus15

Suppose they were making up for missing the first gold !

By missing another one? I thought they'd like to see Asher-Smith, Rhasidat's training partner, winning gold. Maybe not…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭fits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Delighted for Ciara Mageean. Very nervous watching it as she was boxed for so long. No doubt once she broke free. A worthy champion. A word for Sarah Healy. She had a decent run in seventh. Hopefully lesson learned that she needs to stick her nose in there a little more.

All three 400m women were excellent. Adeleke qualified with ease and looked very composed. She will surely win a medal, hopefully gold but Kaczmarek will be tough. I was surprised at how nervous Mawdsley looked on the start line. She’s usually a relaxed character. Still job done and hopefully more to come. Fair play to Sophie Becker for really attacking it. 51.54 is a good time and only a few tenths off the final. She has improved so much this year and is an integral part of the relay.

Both Chris O’Donnell and Mark Smyth had creditable runs. I think O’Donnell in particular has a lot more to give this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Controversy in the women's 3,000m steeplechase, where winner Alice Finot has been disqualified for an "infringement of the inside border" - stepping over the inside border of the track, as she went over the water jump.

That seems ridiculously harsh. RTE could have covered this had they not been so quick to go off air. The news broke right as they went off air.

Their coverage has been a little bit shoddy, maybe I missed it, but I don't remember seeing the end of the men's hammer, the women's triple jump and the last 2 women in the high jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Choochtown

Lovely words from Sonia about Jerry.

Ciara was inspirational. I was worried about how she would deal with the tag of favourite. She showed great mental strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

She's been reinstated now. Agreed on the field events... incredibly frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Brilliant from Ciara. What an inspiration she is. The way she runs, the way she speaks, she is someone all our aspiring athletes can look up to. This on top of the relay has been the greatest week in Irish athletics in decades and it's not over yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Well tonight lived lived up to the billing again. Obviously delighted for Mageean, overdue a senior gold medal and now she has it. An Olympic medal still an outside shot for her, but you'd never know.

The 400 went pretty much to form, Adeleke has a great lane draw and a real chance chance of gold tomorrow. Hard to see her finishing any lower down than second, she seems to have Klaver's number. Will be tough for Mawdsley to sneak a medal but encouraging to hear her say she was holding a bit back tonight.

The only slight disappointment tonight was Sarah Healy, she has plenty of time to learn of course but she never really got involved and probably should have finished a few places higher than seventh. Still a nagging doubt for now about her ability to perform in the championships unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Both Mawdsley and Adeleke have great lane draws for the final in 4 and 6 respectively. I think Mawdsley’s best chance of a medal is Klaver going kamikaze in the first 200m again. There’s a decent chance it will happen as both Adeleke and Kaczmarek are inside her. Fingers crossed for them both tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Waiting 20 plus years for gold. Came into kitchen told Ms cretin hop to be calm dog baby asleep. When she broke through English runners I went mad woke baby cretin up dog started barking and set of alarm in hallway. Nothing in my eyes after talk of jerry I promise... BTW my mammy cancer death aniversary next week. Sport is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

who’s on the women’s 4x400m for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭ariana`

Unbelievable to see 2 Irish gold medals. I let my youngest stay up last night to watch Ciara and I just loved watching it with him - I think my roaring at the TV may have helped the magnitude of it to sink in for him!

Aside from Ciara's race last night I watched a lot of it on the RTE Player app on my phone yesterday while out in the middle of nowhere, half-way to New York, visiting my teenage son during his stint in the Gaeltacht. I have to say I was very impressed with how the Player held up. No complaints from me, aside from the odd blip where coverage was patchy. It was nice to get home to watch on the big screen though 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

On the watching thing, I prefer less analysis for the chance to see more athletics. On that note I started using the RTE player for the first time ever for the Relay. Did take me a bit to find the stream, but since them I have been watching a mix of RTE2 and the Player. The player uses the Eurovision feed I think, so can watch that when there is too much analysis and vice versa if I want to hear the chatter. Last night I had the TV on RTE2 with the Player on the computer so I didn't miss the 100m which was poor from RTE2. Haven't had any issues with player other than finding the stream sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Finally back home after an amazing week in Rome, three days of which was spent watching the athletics. Incredible experience to witness two Irish golds in person, properly emotional stuff! Very proud of what this small country is producing in athletics at the moment.

Very excited about the women's 400m tonight, imagine if we snagged two medals there?! Obviously hoping Adeleke can get the gold, but I've a feeling Kaczmarek might be too strong.

Advertisement