Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Actually, I only tuned in to see Molly Caudery. 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

The girl that beat her ran a PB also and also set a national record.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭whitelaurel

exciting stuff when you look at those times. I don’t know much about the current standard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭ergo

PB in a senior final, a first senior medal and the Olympics to come - as much as we all wanted gold for her, this outcome can help fuel the next 2 months of prep for her plus invaluable lessons learned etc

Well done, what a run!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Only the winning time in Tokyo faster than the first 2 tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Well done RTE for showing ZERO of Tuthill's hammer throws live. She's an afterthought, they're showing her interview afterwards at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

I'm just saying it's a uniquely tough race.

1st and 2nd both got PBs and National records.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Even though I always thought Kaczmarek would be the main obstacle, the Pole improved her PB by half a second tonight. Silver and a PB is still a good result and Adeleke will be right in the mix for the Olympic titles. Paulino, Kaczmarek, Rhasidat, maybe Miller-Uibo if she's back to top shape, I will wait to see what Nickisha Pryce can do outside NCAAs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

You know you've been spoilt this week when you're a bit deflated with Adeleke winning a silver medal. But she went out in the final and ran a PB, you can't ask for more than that. I think I'm more annoyed with Kaczmarek than anything - annoyed at her for being so good!

Mawdsley will be disappointed with that time, a lot of racing in a short space of time maybe catching up with a few of them now.

Will be interesting to see what team we put out in the relay tomorrow morning. Presumably we're likely to rest Mawdsley and Adeleke - can we make the final without them?

• Advertisement

Worth noting as well that - other than the obviously doped up Marita Koch wins of the late 70s and 80s - Rhasidat's time tonight would have won every other women's European 400m final in history. An incredible performance, so unlucky not to win another gold.

Sickener for Joshua Hartmann, disqualified in the 200m final after a false start. He would have medaled at least, if not won. All that effort for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Whatever about Kaczmarek, you can easily imagine Rhasidat going under 49s in Paris. That silver might prove excellent for her development and her Olympic medal chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Doc07

this fact may not get the recognition it deserves. Kaczmarek & Rhasidat are basically the fastest Europeans finalists ever and yes I absolutely don’t count the East German doped to have more testosterone than Linford Christie.

Shouted at the telly watching that for the first time since Thomas Barr at Rio. Super night for Irish athletics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭secman

Link wouldn't work, video of members in Tallaght AC tonight watching the race and roaring Rhasidat on . Proud night for Tallaght AC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Doc07

maybe immediately after the finish but she was very happy when interviewed and mature for her years, a new superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 18,477 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think when she saw the top two times, it dawned on her just how fast she had run and the sheer quality of the race - Klaver was miles back in third.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Both times are the fastest by Europeans since Marie José Perec won the Olympic gold in Atlanta in 1996. Amazing times by both. Really super run by Adeleke. Kazmarek was always going to be tough to beat and I didn’t think she had a sub 49 in her. Fair play to both of them. I see both on the podium in Paris along with Mariledy Paulino from the Dominican Republic, who is the favourite for gold at this point.

Just a note on Mawdsley. I’m sure she’s devastated by her performance. More than a second off her best. I’m was really hoping for a new PB for her, but it wasn’t to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

One potential future rival is the 18yo Czech girl who finished 5th tonight in a similar time to what Adeleke did 2 years ago at Euros. Will be worth watching.

Also, I don't think Adeleke will do the mixed relays at the Olympics. Her coach will have her super focused on the individual 400.

On a side note, Bonevaccia who was so poor for the Dutch in the mixed relay got 3rd with a sub 45 clocking in the individual 400m.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It says a lot about Adeleke's potential that it actually feels a little disappointing for her to 'only' win silver. 49.07 is a brilliant result though, Kaczmarek was just on another level. Interestingly, Adeleke has actually never beaten Kaczmarek over the distance, she's lost all four duels between them. You feel it's only a matter of time before that changes though.

I wonder what's up with Nordas at the moment, some lingering injury or just woefully out of form? To go from a world bronze to not making it out of a European heat is quite a drop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Wottle

https://x.com/TrackGazette/status/1799572426528817376?t=AEGYO2Dx164fN0lOy2t8KQ&s=19

And Nickisha Pryce of Jamaica, 48.89s to win the NCAA women's 400m title in Oregon.

Don't forget Sydney McLaughlin, who ran 48.75 on Saturday and may yet attempt the 400m/400mHurdles double.

And the defending champ has yet to show her hand this year. The event might be loaded yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

I was laughing at the men’s 200 metre final when Greg said it’s wide open. Anyone from lanes 3-9 could win it. Next thing the Swiss lad wins it in lane 2!

I’m enjoying the RTE coverage though it is patchy at times. Well done to all the athletes who’ve made this the best one for Ireland ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Rossi7

In the bag 😂 she had to run a national record

Mawdsley out again this morning in the relay heats. Some effort from her. Cadden in for Adeleke. Presumably they felt they needed to get one of the two out to make the final. Hopefully it's comfortable enough that she doesn't need to go full tilt at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Looking like the women's 400 will be an almighty battle for the medals come Paris, there's been a lot of good times posted so far this year. Probably need a sub 49 to medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Yeah agreed - there are 5 or 6 who could win, and quite possibly sub 49 needed to medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Decent performance from Men's 4x400m on what is a weakened team. If anyone remembers the days of Project 4x4. We've come a long way.

As an explainer. Please don't get roped into this persons relay split or that persons split. There's a hefty changeover zone and not everyone gets away cleanly from changeover traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Greg has done well but he does seem to think that people speed up at the end of 400s. He absolutely had the house put on Adeleke last night.

Advertisement