Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭crossman47

We shouldn't be overly surprised at this stuff when you see the numbers who voted for blatant racists last week. Lets hope she has plenty support to deal with this disgraceful rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Horrendous to hear but it was entirely predictable - the racist scum / Irish white supremacists were always going to go after Rhasidat once she started winning medals.

We seem to have a very particular problem with this racist pondlife in Ireland (especially this year with their "concerns" around immigration and refugees plastered all over social media). Black athletes in the UK and in Europe don't seem to get anywhere near this level of vitriolic abuse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Rté have deleted the story now, presumably because of the way the comments were going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

To suggest this issue is ‘very particular’ to Ireland is ridiculous. Anybody who speaks another language and consumes media from that country, knows that incidents like this unfortunately occur across Europe. A recent report by ARD, the national broadcaster in Germany, found that 21% of Germans expressed the opinion that the national football team has too few white players. That’s before we discuss the abuse meted out to Vinicius in Spain. Just two recent incidents.

Does that prevalence make it right? No, of course it doesn’t. Nobody should be subjected to that abuse, particularly somebody like Rhasidat Adeleke, who performed heroics for the country this week. However, to imply that is an endemically Irish problem is both provocative and frankly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bocaman

Horrible racist bile directed against Rhasidat Adeleke. No wonder that wonderful young woman feels the way she does.

• Advertisement

• You mustn't follow football so.

There's always racial chanting at some of the European games. In fact some teams have followers who are known well for this type of behaviour by the authorities. Sure there's documentaries made about it.

There's a certain type of character who will always go after someone no matter what. If it's not their race then it's something else.

I think most of us have experienced it to some degree in our lives.

It's a pity this is turning political though as there's people from disadvantaged areas who have genuine concerns about sharing already stretched resources being lumped in with these thugs. Some of the questionable candidates speak up for their areas and they can identify with some of their beliefs. Not all beliefs and comments but some.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Very sad to hear, but I am not shocked. It appears in the comments section of almost any YouTube video she races in, always at least one person questioning her Irishness. It is not just limited to Irish people either, some seem to be ignorant of the fact that Ireland is even ethically diverse. Unfortunately this kind of idiot will always exist and us humans have a capacity for finding the small negatives over the much larger positives.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I'm not really seeing what these 'genuine concerns' have to do with abusing a young woman based on the colour of her skin. Seems an odd thing to bring up in the circumstances.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,855 ✭✭✭billyhead

There are some awful clowns out there. Keyboard warriors that are probably munching down on a tube of Pringles and drinking 2 litres of coke aiming racist abuse at a top class athlete who is a role model for kids in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Westernview

Sounds like you are almost diminishing the issue by referencing concerns over immigration. Just call put the racism here and leave the immigration stuff for other treads dedicated to it.

• Advertisement

• Yeah it's odd of you to pick that out when there was a clear differentiation made between racial thugs and people with genuine concerns about resources made in my post.

My post was a response to a comment made earlier about immigration It was relevant.

Rhasidat's story is totally linked to immigration though, as the child of immigrants and with no 'blood' link to Ireland. The racists are claiming that is impossible for such a person to be Irish, even if born in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Cretins really have diminished understanding, using their illogical logic, there are virtually no Americans in America, no Australians in Australia , sure half of us are from Vikings. Utter dumb twats with access to keyboards.

Well done Rashidat 👏 Super proud of you and you did more for the country than than any of those cretins could even dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

If the plan was designed with anyone in mind, other than the athlete themselves, then it's coach who might have some learning to do.

Coaches are never infallible. Control your own race.

Klaver/Kaczmarek are high quality athletes to ever react to whatever else is going on around them. I think Klaver was just rusty in her mixed relay leg. It became a very lazy trope during the championships to list her as someone who goes out too fast and burns up.

Kaczmarek was just too physically strong for Rhashidat.

400m is so complex in terms of what the body is going through.

Back to the athletics.

Is Ciara Mageean racing again before the Games?

Good call.

I don’t believe she is. She mentioned in an interview that she is heading back to Saint Moritz tomorrow for a hard 5/6 week training block. It didn’t sound like any of the diamond league meets are in her plans. Worryingly for Ciara, Laura Muir et. al. Faith Kipyegon won the 1500m at the Kenyan champs in 3.53 at altitude!

Who will be competing frequently in the coming weeks is Sophie Becker. She’s chasing the 50.95 qualifying standard. If she doesn’t get it, she wants to secure qualification on world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Ciara mentioned in an interview with Pat Kenny that she might do both Nationals and Monaco GP.

A result from a meeting in Guelph during the week that has implications for the women’s 4x400m relay in the Olympics. Three of Canada’s top female 400m athletes were in action.

Lauren Gale ran 50.47, Zoe Sherar ran 50.79, and Madeline Price ran 51.4x. Canada also has a few other strong 400m women like Grace Konrad and Kyra Constantine. They were fourth in Budapest and will clearly be a force again in Paris. Another strong competitor for Ireland…

Post edited by Hamachi on

• Im very upset about this post, it sounds like you're almost trying to saying I'm ractist. Ive reported it by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It's an obvious thing to say but she should delete all her socials and not engage with it.

The majority of messages are positive but there'll always be a few idiots.

Lots of them aren't even Irish.

Hazel Chu gets awful abuse online also.

• Advertisement

Reported for what? Miss Adeleke was born here 21 years ago and her mother worked hard and made big sacrifices for her to represent Ireland. Why bring up people's concerns about immigration and rascism in lots of other areas? I see a lot of this whataboutery nonsense on social media diverting from serious racial incidents. Disgraceful how she was treated this week.

• If your problem was about bringing up immigration then what you should have done is attacked the post about immigration which was

'Horrendous to hear but it was entirely predictable - the racist scum / Irish white supremacists were always going to go after Rhasidat once she started winning medals.

We seem to have a very particular problem with this racist pondlife in Ireland (especially this year with their "concerns" around immigration and refugees plastered all over social media). Black athletes in the UK and in Europe don't seem to get anywhere near this level of vitriolic abuse.'

This is the post I was responding to where I differentiated between racial thugs and people with genuine concern about their resources.

It seems to me like you jumped on the bandwagon with the other poster and decided you'd have a pop at me.

If you dont think this thread should relate to immigration then this is the post you should be referencing.

People who are concerned about their stretched resources have every right to be differenciated from racial thugs no matter what site or post it pops up on.

If you actually followed my previous posts on the athletics thread you would clearly see how much I admire African runners. In fact at one stage I felt I was being isolated from this thread because I was supporting them over the Irish where it was clear they were faster runners e.g. in the 1500m.

Thats the problem with this thread, people get hopped on when they don't agree with certain posters.

That poster criticised those trying to justify their anti immigrant sentiment by saying they have 'concerns' and I criticised you for referring to the same concerns. So I'm fine with what the poster said.

I believe people should be able to outrightly condemn racist remarks towards an irish athlete on an athletics thread without making an argument against immigration in general. It's disingenuous

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Sandwell

I still don't think your distinction was necessary. The original poster mentioned that these nazi scumbags are constantly ranting on social media about immigration, which they are, all the time. The question of resources and genuine concerns was raised by you and is often used as a fig leaf by these creeps to justify their campaigns of hatred. I'm not accusing you of justifying the attacks on Rhasidat but I just thought it struck an odd note and wasn't helpful. And personally I think if people can't tell the difference between a far right rally and a housing protest then they're either idiots or liars.

If there is one piece of good news to come out of all this, many election candidates from all parties say they were treated with kindness and courtesy on the doorsteps when out canvassing (and were surprised and had been anticipating trouble). It would appear that the racist scum who have been harassing Rhasidat exist mainly on social media - they are no reflection of the real Ireland we live in. Also, the huge show of support for her in the last 24 hours has been very encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

shame you can’t block users on here using mobile

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MOD NOTE:

Needless to say, what this thread is currently discussing is potentially going to be a minefield to moderate.

Please remember there are forums to discuss race, identity, and immigration. To anyone who doesn't ordinarily post in this forum: We do not discuss politics here. If you wish to discuss whether or not particular athletes should be representing Ireland, this is not the forum for it.

Any posts deemed to be racist or racial baiting will NOT be tolerated, and will result in an immediate ban.

To everyone else, please report what you see and be patient with us as we get to reviews and action.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Adeleke is born and raised in Tallaght, Dublin. Ireland is the only home she's ever known. Anyone who thinks she's not Irish because of her skin colour is racist. Everyone should be offended by racism, and call it out when it occurs, particularly so in the case of a young Irish woman who's achieving great things for our country. For you to try and defend these people and to try and explain away their behaviour well, you're just as bad as them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It really is what Rasidat feels about what being said, not any of us. And we know from her coach how it has affected her.

We have been represented at these European games by wonderful role models, all.

• Advertisement

Callum Baird with a 46.22 yesterday. Nick Griggs back in action too. 46.22 is decent from Baird. Suggests he is knocking hard on 45s door. That's his second in that range for the season.

Oh and anyone mentioning anything to do with race, this is not the thread for you. If you love the sport you'll just stfu and comment on the athletes and athletics.

Advertisement