Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2024 (Mod note #869)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 dolldot2

Great running from Rhasidat I think she ran a more controlled race getting out fast like her coach wants her to do because that her advantage and trying to maintain in the home straight and she did fly past Klaver but pushed her to a PB. Was hoping for a little faster but still very impressive and people saying she went all in that race are talking rubbish she barely out of breath crossing the line bear in mind she probably still in heavy training. Paulino for me is still the favourite and the other threats are the cheat Naser, Pryce (yet to see her running) all capable of going sub 49 along with Kaczmarek and Rhasidat in that mix too but the big stage will suit her don’t want get carried away but they still have get through heats, semis and then final and anything possible but Rhasidat is world class that not even questionable and their defo a sub 49 coming!!!

Ciara am worried about she doesn’t look like she is where she needs to be I did listen to an interview on YouTube and she said it down to lack of races but to be fair Hull is running loads of races and running crazy times… like making world records look insanely easy but the level has just gone up a notch for 1500m women stacked field and at the moment Ciara will be doing well to make a final if even and perhaps Sarah might go one bit better. Can she in 3 to 4 weeks pull something special out of the bag not looking very likely being honest defo not a medal contender at this point. I love Ciara but just being honest …

I think she is possibly running the 200m at the Diamond League in London next week last one before Paris still waiting to see the entry lists that will be a good one for her and she likely take down that Irish record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I know WRs are very regularly beaten outside of the world championships, olympics etc. But this event being so close to the olympics, was amazed so many leading names were competing (and not just competing, pushing for records)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Caprica

My first visit to the Morton Games last night. An entertaining evening of athletics, great atmosphere and a good range of events. The night ended on a high with a very exciting Mens mile, won by Cathal Doyle in 3:52 with Brian Fay in 3rd. Nick Griggs was very impressive in the 5k as was Sophie O’Sullivan in the 1,500. Not bad value for €10.

Very impressive run by Adeleke last night, she definitely is a medal shot in Paris but it won’t be easy. Klaver had a great race, strengthens the Dutch mixed relay a bit. Kinda concerned for Ciara but fingers crossed she bounces back in the next few weeks. Amazing running by Jessica Hull in the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭deisedude

The Morton Mile is always a great race. Have to say I really enjoy watching Cathal Doyle, he is just so good tactically, a born racer. I actually think the championship racing in the Olympics will suit him for that reason.

Brian Fay on the other hand really frustrates me. Consistently leaves himself too much to do going into the last lap and then finishes like a train. He should have won last night if he was tucked in with the leading pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I was just thinking this too. Even though Cathal Doyle is the lowest ranked of our three 1500m men going to Paris, I think he will perform better than Coscoran and McCann. The former is too inconsistent and the latter has an inferior kick. Doyle is the kind of good tactician with a solid kick, who can sneak under the radar into finals.

Agree on Brian Fay. If he has any chance of making the final, he needs to be in the right position at the bell.

Fantastic run by Nick Griggs. He’s having a phenomenal season. 2028 will be his Olympics for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

50.95 for Femke Bol!

https://x.com/ChrisChavez/status/1812452380161593517?t=01NZVuUzWFd-A9PAWzWiDg&s=19

Didn't even know she was racing this weekend. If she can do this in the Olympic final it would make it more interesting, but in actuality would probably push McLaughlin closer to sub 50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭aero2k

A couple of links that might be of interest - we're all aware of Rhasidat's long list of acomplishments, but it really hits home when you see written in print the list of medals between this programme being recorded and aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭aero2k

The Sharlene Mawdsley video has a snippet on the Glasgow dq from around 2.40 onwards. I had tried and failed to find a clip of this previously; the camera angle isn't great but it looked like contact if any was minimal, and I don't think the result was impacted in any way. Very harsh, and a bit unsporting by the Austrians to make an objection IMHO.

Great line up for the London Diamond League on Saturday Rhasidat is running the 200m up against team mates Alfred, Asher Smith, Gabby Thomas who won the US trials going be a great race

Really hoping for a low 22 or even below expect she put a marker down as this will be a fast race be great for her to get a fast one for the confidence for the 400m

Entry lists Nick Griggs and Brian Fay in the 3000m and Coscoran in the 1 mile

https://london.diamondleague.com/lists-results-london/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭Thud

Whats the thinking behind going in the 200m? work on finishing speed and irish record as a bonus? anything above 5th would be a good result given that field.

Kaczmarek and Pryce in the Women's 400m so could have been interesting too.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Rossi7

I'd of thought the opposite, her coach is often critical she doesn't get out hard enough in the first 200m. I'd image it is to get her out of the blocks and hit her high end speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

No sign of Kerr again. Would have expected him to pop up in one of the recent meets since the UK champs where he only ran 750m.

Jake Odey-Jordan had a nightmare at the European U-18's Championships today

https://x.com/EuroAthletics/status/1814263609473765423?t=G4n_j5tkbVOVvZcR53xxDw&s=19

Probably the last time he'll try this!

Reminder to all that London Diamond League is televised on both Virgin Media 2 and BBC One tomorrow from 2pm. Entry lists in @dolldot2's post above!

Race times for Irish athletes

⏰ 2.52pm: Brian Fay (3000m)
    ⏰ 2.52pm: Nick Griggs (3000m)
    ⏰ 3.19pm: Andrew Coscoran (Mile)
    ⏰ 3.42pm: Rhasidat Adeleke (200m)

https://x.com/VMSportIE/status/1814596382663045486?t=rmlDw7-IOsimiQJBalPj_A&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Hardly a puff out of Femke after that run. Love watching her compete

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Hold My Hand

Hot 400m from the ladies

Well that makes the women's 400m even more interesting in Paris, Nickisha Pryce runs 48.57 for the win. Kaczmarek second with a new NR but it wasn't enough, Klaver with another PB in third. Someone else for Adeleke to have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

She is in the 200m. Assume it's a strategic training decision by her coach

• Registered Users Posts: 55,677 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very quick 3000. PB for Irish lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

7.34 for Fay, fantastic run

7:36.59 for Nick Griggs too! Running really well this year. And he's still a teenager!

Both Fay and Griggs times are showing as PBs on the live results

• Registered Users Posts: 3 liamooooo

Fantastic time from griggs. 8.36 puts him around 20th fastest run by a 19 year old in the world ever

1:54.61 for Keely Hodgkinson!!! Got to think the only thing that can stop her winning gold is if she falls or gets a sudden injury.

That's also possibly a clean world record, and is faster than Athing Mu has ever run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Possibly a good reason for Adeleke to consider running the 4 x 400m mixed relay too. She shouldn't be putting all her eggs in the one basket of trying to win a 400m medal and neglecting the other events.

• Advertisement

Coscoran about 3:51 there

Advertisement