Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zero interest in my car

• 31-12-2023 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am selling a 2012 Renault Fluence, 1.5 Diesel with 159,000km on it. Timing Belt done at 149k. NCT until Oct 24 and tax until Aug 24. I have it up since 23rd Dec on Donedeal and Facebook market place for €4,900.

I haven't had a single call or text. Nothing.

I only bought it in September 2023 off a dealer for €5,300.

Selling it as I inherited an almost new hybrid car.

I'm willing to let it go for 4,000 or maybe 3,800 but don't want to ask for that amount as I will be lowballed.

I know it's the worst time of year to sell too.

Anyone any tips on how to shift it?

Is my price wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You’re asking dealer prices if you purchased it not 6 months ago for 5,300 off a dealer- so have a think about that

as you say worst time of year to sell but selling a 12 year old Renault with fairly high milage will only suit a very few

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Alpha2023

I don't think 159,000km is fairly high mileage for a 12 year old Renault.

What price should I look for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭Whocare

Overpriced 3000 be fair price

So perhaps put it up for 3800 and accept no less than 3k.

Just after quick look at Facebook marketplace I would Imagine it would look like a good buy Considering the maintenance and mileage for around that price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Price a car right and it will sell.

I just had a search there on donedeal and your pictures could be a bit better. I would wash the car well, clean inside and take good photos (not in your driveway).

Also, when I searched done deal I filtered price low to high, your car is buried within the dealer adds, list it for 4,250 after you have better photos. Used car prices have settled a bit, you can see that by the amount of ads reflecting reduce prices. Take the best offer you get, anything above 3,500 private sale take it.

It's Christmas week, you only have it up a few days. Have patience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

Mileage is not high, that is a ridiculous notion, its still below 100k in miles, it is nothing at all.

Looks very clean inside but the outside needs a wash, landscape photographs would show it better than portrait, if you are going to show the engine bay it would look better clean, don't think there was a photo of the boot? The average buyer will be more interested in seeing things like that than the engine bay, do not assume that they know what a Fluence is like, you have to show them, I for example would not have a notion if the boot on one is big, small or indifferent, you would have to sell it to me by showing what is good.

A side on photograph with the two doors open to show the leg room front and rear and the general condition of the interior for example.

Good luck with the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

have you considered selling it back to dealer ? hes hardly going to have had a big mark up on an 11 year old car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is good advice. Wash the car, take better photos, in a better location with HDR turned on. Clear images of the cockpit, back seats and boot. Omit images of the engine bay.

Most importantly price to sell, 4250 will get you placed before dealers when filtered by price and take anything over 3800.

Someone buying that car is likely not looking for a fluence specifically, but a well minded car between €4 and 5k. That's your market, so keep that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Thanks very much for the such helpful advice.

I will do all of that tomorrow and hopefully that does the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You need to reduce your price by two thousand euro. Your target audience is people with not a lot of money to spend such as lowly paid members of the immigrant community. The Fluence is a fine car but cheap - doesn't hold it's value well, like a Nissan Almera. Take that into consideration.

Don't be ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ask 3950 and you’ll get interest. If you have decided 3800 is your minimum then stick to that. Don’t invite or accept offers over the phone, tell them to come see the car and then you’ll talk money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

We were trading in a 142 version, with tomtom navigation system, 6 speed gearbox but has higher mileage than yours earlier this year. All we were offered was €2.5k off the trade in so we kept it as a second cheap car.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

You are on a hiding to nothing with old cars, particularly french brands, in the trade.

Far better to sell privately at that age. You'd get over €4k for that privately assuming it wasn't in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Leave the ad as it is, refresh it tomorrow and see how you get on...provided of course the photos currently are good and car is clean looking in the ad.

People are not looking to buy cars Christmas week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lol, doesn't hold it's value well like a Nissan Almera..

Almera values are near end of life money now and were never a yard stick to argue strong residues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Photos are dreadful, as some one said wash the car and don't bother with showing the engine bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Seen the ad, photos poor, don't bother showing the engine bay Tippex service history as it looks amateur hour, if you don't have documentation to back it up don't show anything regarding timing belt change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

Happy New Year. Firstly nothing is selling for another week but secondly there are lots of similar cars (okay with maybe 200km instead of 160km) that are asking around the 3k mark. Yours is low mileage for the year but that might make worth €500 more than others but not 2000 more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

• Wash the outside.
    • Clean the tyres.
    • Take photos somewhere with a less busy background, on a sunnier day to make the car stand out.
    • Take photos when the car is fully dry.
    • Clean the drivers floor mat, it's visibly dirty.
    • 4 Exterior photos with the doors closed, front left 1/4, front right 1/4, etc. to emphasize no dents on the side of the car.
    • Sit in the rear centre seat to take the dashboard photo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can't imagine many people wanting to take on a 12 yo Renault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I was in the market for a small cheap reliable diesel car, it’d be the first thing I’d look at. Arranged 2 Megane 3’s for family members in the last while and they’ve been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Contrary to pub opinion,these fluences can do monster mileage with little going wrong.

My taxi fluence finally shuffled off this mortal coil with almost 500,000 km on the clock.

local taxi woman has one , think they suppose to be good - dont small Mercs. have Renault diesel engines ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

If you price things right and present them well they will sell. Now we are in January you may have more interest. If still no interest over the next week or so drop the price.

Private sellers won’t get the same money as a garage as at least the garage can do something if the car has some issues.

If you can get somewhere between 3000 and 3500 jump at it imo.

They are handy cars for the money, cheap to run, not the worst thing on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

My dad and sister both had these - massive mileage and completely bullet proof . As above if you price right - ie 500 -1000 below dealers average for this price point you will sell very easily . Your mileage is actually low for this car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sure, but the comparison can be made between it and the Fluence - even if the Almera is of an older generation. Both pretty decent and reliable but don't hold their value so good used examples can be bought cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

As one or two have said, you need to price 500-1000 less than the forecourt price of a dealer. If you have a stamped service book/receipts for work carried out/NCT sheet showing mileages for the last few years then include a shot of that as "Service History".

Maybe include a link to a favourable review of the car model as well for those not that familiar with the model.

Example - https://irishcarman.blogspot.com/2011/09/road-test-renault-fluence-tomtom.html

GLWS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭techie

Would agree with others here, pictures are not the best.

Also Donedeal marks it as a Base Trim expression, which could put some people off, as its a higher spec than that

That's the main reason we kept ours, I can get 65mpg with a light foot, same engine is used in some of the Nissan Qashqai too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭wealthyman

OP I see you have cleaned the car and put up new pictures and heeded the advice from here. Big improvement. Oh and you dropped the price. Still abit on the expensive side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

If you have inherited a new car.. just offload it for a couple of grand.

you have a car and a couple of grand in pocket.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

still dont think he should just give away the car , why should someone else benefit because he inherited a car !!

OP would also be benefiting from the quick and easy hassle free sale

yes but getting a couple a grand after spending 5,300 4 months ago seems nuts

Well thats what happens when you overpay from a dealer and want to sell privately immediately after, you just have to weigh up how much your willing to loose with how much time your willing to spend and how many time wasters you want to deal with

• Advertisement

In terms of overpaying from a dealer, really good used cars don't always go by book price . But as you say if u sell quickly you lose big time

Hi all,

I have updated my add and spotlighted it.

I just can't seem to shift it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-fluence-2012/35923835

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Cork981

Body type is showing as van. Perhaps it’s just not showing in people’s filters specifically searching for a saloon.

I don't know why and when I try to change it just keeps showing as a van ?

Its 6 days into January. Just have patience.

And click this button to edit the details:

Looks like nice car only thing missing is no Mention of service history Maybe put something down like service regularly

And lose floor mats ugly but very minor things I guess

If tyres has good tread depth take picture 📸 of it .

I'd suggest a closer photo of the dash too, with the engine running and showing the mileage and that there's no warning lights needing attention. Looks clean anyway, be patient. Has it cruise control?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbobmalones

Hi there

Car looks decent but at the end of the day it's about price and what else is in the market.

I tried to sell a car a few years back and to make a long story short there was

no interest even though I priced it as the lowest end of what donedeal was showing

and car was presented extremely well. As I wasn't willing to take what the market

wanted to pay I ended up keeping the car which is your option also.

My take home is that donedeal asking prices are way off - at least 1k - 2k above where

buyers are at. The proof is that you have had no interest at that price. I suggest if you

really want to sell it that you drop it to €3450 and then take it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Those rubber mats while very practical and hard wearing, stand out in the pics as dirty and unappealing. Takes from the whole look

• Advertisement
Advertisement