Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2024 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

My turn

What are people's thoughts on this price?

Solar Panels
    8.700 kW Total Solar Power
    20 x 435 Watt Panels (TWMNH-48HD435)
    6,968 kWh per year

5G RHI Hybrid Inverter - 3PH DC (5-10k)
    5kW
    of Inverter Power   
    SOLIS
    1 x RHI-3P5K-HVES-5G

10.0 -year Standard Warranty

Eco-Smart Energy Diverter
    3.68 kW, Single Phase Eco-Smart Energy Diverter
    1 x EDDI-16A1P02H

Total System Price €13,773

SEAI €2,100.00

Purchase Price €11,673

Post edited by graememk on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Well, first off… you should edit your post and "xxxxx" out the supplier (or one of the moderators will do it).

The quote itself is probably on the pricey side. Plug your figures into…

Solar Quote Analyser (davidhunt.ie)

That'll give you a ballpark. Remember the solar advisor website is only an ballpark. If you are paying more by a few % points, it's not neccessarily a bad deal and you should pass. Many people have gotten good installs done over the years, and paid slighly more than the guide price. (And some have beaten the guide price)

the main function of the advisor is to help stop people being ripped off. Many of us wouldn't have a bog about how much these things cost and some less scrupulous installers use that fact to over charge people. That's the main function of the website, so that you'll have a "ballpark" figure to go off of. If you're within 5-10% your probably doing ok. /

One comment I'd have though is that system is a pretty beefy install. I take it you've looked at your bills and determined you'll use it?

Thanks for the feedback.
    Not sure where I mentioned the supplier?

One comment I'd have though is that system is a pretty beefy install. I take it you've looked at your bills and determined you'll use it?

We used 6809 kWh last year, hope to have that down this year (new house, better-rated appliances)
    I work from home so skipped on the battery.

I've seen a few posts here where folks have said if they could do it all again they would max out on the initial solar panel install.

Q: Is the 5kW inverter a bottleneck here?
    I mean if we're producing 8.700 kW and the inverter is 5kW, what happens to the remaining 3.7kW? (assumes we're maxing the array I guess)

Max install? Yup, I'd be one of those posters who'd also advocate maximizing all your available roof space. My own case, I got the initial install of 14 panels. Then added 3 more. Then added 6 more, but my case is a little unusual. Would have been a lot cheaper if I could have gotten it all done at the same time (not possible for me)

That said, you can have too much too. While the current climate of FIT is pretty generous (~€0.20/kwh), there's no garuntee that we'll always have these nice high FIT rates. With no battery, you might be exporting your surplus at low rates. However, with a consumption of 7000Kwh, you definetely are above average which is about 4500Kwh, so you'd be doing well there with that sized array.

Regarding your question is the 5Kw a bottleneck. No, "not really" is the answer. Sure, you might experience "clipping", but if you do, you might end up losing a few (single digit) % of your overall production for the year.

Take me today. Blue skies outside, it's noon….here's my production for today.

Barely breaking 4kw off a 6.5Kwp system. The reality is that the sun as it moves around the sky doens't face the panels directly, so there's a "slant angle" to consider. If your entire 8.7Kwp was facing south then you would probably be "clipped" to 5kw for 2-3 hrs in the summer months, but overall…..you'll still be getting 95%+ of the production.
    If your roofs were E/W (like mine) it's unlikely you'll see much if any clipping. I've never seen any even though I've 6.5Kwp on a 5Kw inverter.

Edit: With 8.7Kwp on 5Kw, you would of course be more likely to see clipping, but again, the actual loss you'll have out of the year is single % points. The 8.7Kwp is much needed for those days where it's cloudy and your only generating (say) 20-30% of your max production. Say 3Kw - so on those days you won't see any bottleneck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

5G RHI Hybrid Inverter - 3PH

That's a 3 phase inverter, you have a 3 phase supply I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Might as well throw my quote in as well for some feedback please. There is no Eddi it’s not a hybrid inverter and no BER.

Any input would be great thanks

Ah I see, thanks for that. Makes total sense.

I'll seek out x2 more quotes I think. 👍️

Well spotted, just checked and I'm def single phase. I'll query that with them. (was just a sales guy out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

I had the same as that installed a few weeks ago except with a hybrid Solis inverter for €6,100 net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 danb_2010

For those of you on standard day-night tariffs with solar, what would appeal to you more:

(1) Fixed rate 20c microgen, with 25.48c day rate and 12.35 night rate vs. (2) Variable rate 24c microgen, 26.72c day rate and 12.81c night rate (and 30EUR less in standing charges)? I think the higher microgen rate might swing it for me given 7.9kWp solar size with 10kwh battery. Variable rate may also be slightly more favourable at the moment too given recent downward pressure on electricity pricing.

Thanks

Depends a lot on how much you use. If your using (say) 4000kWh/year, then sure, your going to be exporting a lot during the day likely with a 10kwH battery. But if you were using 8000kWh then you'd want to be careful there with the how much your paying. Without knowing that info, (we) can't really say.

That’s a fair comment, thanks. Current annual usage is circa 6500kWh. Plan could be to charge batteries overnight (where there is minimal difference in the rate between the providers), discharge them during the day and benefit from a higher FIT rate of +4c during the day (where possible) in terms of exporting of the excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Agreed. Seems on the higher side. I got two extra 440wp panels, 10.6kwh in batteries, Eddi, whatever the marginal difference is for hybird inverter and BER for an extra 3600EUR. Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭adne

Pm me details on this please. I've 18 430w panels and a 5kw hybrid inverter looking to add a 10kw battery to the system

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Rain_Dog_Brian

I’ve had 4 quotes for the following:

10panels (jinko), dual array, 4.35kWp

Hybrid inverter (HUAWEI), no battery

Cork location

BER, etc

Quotes in have been between 6k to 7k

• Registered Users Posts: 30 omni_cube

Hey all - I've been getting a number of quotes for a terraced house, south-west roof install with battery.

Has anyone had a 3-3.5kwp system with 5k battery installed in the past year? Wondering what your costs were?

Post edited by omni_cube on

Second quote in
    7.900 kW Total Solar Power
    18 x 440 Watt Jinko Solar panels Monocrystalline
    1x Solis 5kw hybrid inverter with wifi dongle
    1 x EDDI-16A1P02H
    Customer to get own BER post Install

Total System Price €8,800.00
    SEAI €2,100.00
    Purchase Price €6,700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭e.r

Got my first two quotes hoping for people’s opinions.

South facing A2 rated house, A2W heat pump. North Dublin.

Also not sure if a battery is way to go, getting conflicting information?

1st- 8 panel by Bauer (possibly 9) @445 - 356 kwp system

5 kw hybrid inverter ( Huawei) battery ready,

Did not recommend battery.

€7600 for 8 panel system

€8000 if they can get the 9th installed, which will bring it close to 4kwp system

2nd- 10 panels ( 9 definitely) aiko @ 455- 455kwp system

5kw sigen inverter

8kw sigen battery

€11,700

Planning to get at least one more quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi,use this as guide to value for money.

http://davidhunt.ie/solar/

I was in a similar postion to you back in April, all I can say is read as much as you can and do the research, get a good few quotes and use the installers guide on here.

IMHO get the most panels with the biggest battery you can afford (inverter is capped at 5Kw now).

We started with an 8/9 panel south facing no battery set up but ended up with 16 panels, 8 south facing and 8 north facing with 2x 5Kw batteries.

So far (I know it is supposed to be summer) its done exactly what it says on the tin, turned the gas boiler off for hot water, using the immersion now standing charge only for last 2 months and the electric is €200 in credit after units used (EV rate to charge batteries at night) and a few normal rate units plus standing charge.

As a few people have said should have done it sooner.

🌞 6.96kWp PV System. West Dublin🌞

Thanks for detailed response.

Very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gildan

For comparison i have a quote for 16 panels Aiko, Sigen 5kw inverter and Sigen 8kw battery for €11,700. Optimisers included.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Any talk of seai grant being extended to homes built after 2021?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Hi, first quote. No seai grant. How does this look? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Doubtful. No point increasing the efficiency of already A rated homes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭deezell

Except that A rating can be achieved by smoke and mirrors. Many of these paper exercise A rated homes are draughty, cold on the north side and go cold very quickly. An entire estate near me are setting up a group to contest the so called A rating. I inspected one bought by family, the draughts were whistling in behind the plaster board, and, ridiculously, the wall mounted heating stat read 6 degrees below room temperature because it was recessed into the external board, which was not sealed to the outside so could never reflect the actual room temperature. Gas heating was on constantly, running up huge bills. The room wall vents were huge 6" tubes straight to the outside, in winter the icy air tore through the house. The outer walls of the top floor rear semi dormer rooms were freezing. This in a new build. I had to seal and insulate the thermostat base recesses, then dump the cheap mechanical stats with surface mounted smart ones. I packed all the vents with insulation wool, this allowed air permeability but greatly reduced the gales. There's still improvements to be made in the attic and behind dormers walls. A rated my Arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've come to the end of my quote to install journey so popping in a little bit here on how it went in case it helps others decide between roof or ground.

I got two quotes from one of the listed installers on here. 13 panels east-west on the roof (€7,500), or 16 on the ground facing south (€8,780). That price is after the €2100 grant is taken off.

I initially went with the roof option, but when the lads arrived they were concerned that 13 wouldn't actually fit, and to their credit, they could have thrown them up and ran away, but they took their time and went through each option with me and had to come back a week later so lost a days work to make sure I made the right call. I changed to the ground option and am delighted with it.

The ground mount they have uses these "Solar Tubs". A great little idea. It's a big plastic basin that you fill with stone to weigh down and the panels can then clip onto them. So there is no big ugly metal frame or extra costs for foundations etc.

It makes it very easy to move them, or add more too down the line, as you have the array on the ground to simply plug extra panels into.

It's great if you have a poor roof configuration and the space in the garden. The lads landed on at 9 am and had the panels done by 12pm. The Electricians took longer alright but 1 - 1/2 days later I'm all up and running.

I still have to "pretty it up" a bit, it's just too wet and windy at the moment. I will put more stone around them and then top that stone with some nice coloured gravel, and then add a wooden border to make it a nice "feature". But here are some pictures.

The battery and inverter are in the grey shed too, so no need to give up house space.

Advertisement