Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which stocks would you say are well diversified?

• 01-01-2024 11:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭

So I started investing at the early stages of covid when we all had a bit of extra time. In was researching companies, waiting until the "right" time to invest etc. After a while I realised that I do not have the time to fully research every single stock I put my cash into and it would be too risky to start lumping it into companies without doing sufficient due diligence.

I then looked into ETF's, but quickly abandoned that idea for the usual deemed disposal problems. The only remaining option then was to invest in stocks which they themselves are diversified. For instance, Berkshire Hathaway. The intention would be to invest monthly and avoid the risk of investing in individual stocks in individual industries. My only concern now is that putting it all in Berkshire is a risk in itself and I should diversify more, especially with the impending "exit" of Warren Buffet.

I've looked at alternatives such as JP Morgan and Monks Investment Trust / Scottish Mortgage Trust, but are there any more I should be considering? Obviously I'll be doing my own research into these, but it would be good to get a steer into tickers as a starting point. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

JPMorgan American Investment Trust is the best to track the S&P500 for the Irish tax system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I figured that would be the favoured one. How about international markets? F&C Investment Trust?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Patsy167

You're getting plenty international exposure already with the S&P 500. The companies might be US domiciled but will sell their products worldwide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭VonLuck

True enough, but I figure no harm in diversifying even further.

Advertisement