Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 Goals/Targets

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Missed Point 5. Not exactly Dunsaughlin, but the Dublin 10K Champs in Garristown, on Sunday. The tail end of the storm, paired with tough hills on last 2 miles. Also no speed work to speak of this year, anyway reasonably happy with 42:30 on the day, and got a Team old lads gold for the efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,052 ✭✭✭✭event

Slight update on these.

5k - I was injured for this so missed it.

10k - The Dundalk 10k was the weekend just gone by. I had actually been training for a 6 hour race on the same day so no speed work has been done at all. It was cancelled cos of Storm Kathleen so did the 10k anyway. Wasnt in shape for a PB and the storm made sure of that. Came in at 44:49, happy enough. I have thee DKIT 10k this day week. Wont be a PB there either. I reckon my best chance for this will be a local 10K in November.

Half - I am back in training for Newry. Will keep the mileage at about 35-40 miles a week and hopefully 2 speed sessions in there. Lets see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Had these goals for the year but never got around to typing them up.

Last Year I saw a PB in the 10k, 10 Mile and Marathon. I never got to run an official 5k, 5 mile or half marathon due to illness throughout the year so thats my goal for this year.

Already completed a PB in a parkrun this year (previous 23:38, new PB 22:35) so will see how close i can get to 20 mins on this.

Half Marathon PB from 4 years ago will be smashed this year providing i stay healthy haha.

Aiming for 3:45 in the Marathon this year, hit 3:54 last year a PB of 41 mins from the year before.

Other goals for me is completing a 50 mile race in June (hoping for between 8-9 hours) and hitting over 2000km for the year.

Hope everyone is keeping well

DKIT 10k came home in 43:06. Happy with a 1:43 improvement in 10 days, though the course and weather were more forgiving.

All in for Newry, 5 weeks. So 4 weeks of really hard training and speed sessions

So Newry was Sunday. Came home in 1:31:36. Over the moon, 32 second PB. Very tough and in the middle bit I struggled. Mile 7 and 8 I slowed down but from mile 9 on, every mile was faster than the one before

• Advertisement

Point 1 Done : Donabate Parkrun last Saturday with the lads, and a 19:55 and 2nd place overall. "Happy days" and first time back under 20m since May 22. Left nothing out there, and happy to get that one crossed off for another year.

General : Have missed a few of the events above (Road Relays, Dunboyne 5M), and will miss Dunsaughlin next month as its sold out, so will need to ignore them for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

Just an update on how my goals are going so far:

Run: >2,000km (1,500 in 2023)

• Current State: 936.3km so far this year. Strava tells me that I'm 83.8km ahead of the plan

5km: 19:59 (PB: 20:45)

• Completed: Ran 19:45 in a 5km race in May

5mile: 34:20 (PB: 34:35)

• Current State: have a race targeted in August. Training starts in 2 weeks

10km: 42:29 (PB: 45:20)

• Current State: Improved my PB in March to 44:29 but it wasn't a pretty effort
    • Have a race lined up in October that I wil ltarget

Full marathon: 3:15:xx (PB 3:20:53)

• Failed in my attempt for this in March. No other marathons lined up this year. Doing London next year, and hoping that the focus I am putting into faster, shorter races will stand to me in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Might as well do an update too.

Mileage is pretty much on schedule. I've been averaging 49 mpw according to Runalyse and that should creep up a bit over the summer when marathon training gets going.

Sub 2:35 marathon

I'll be targeting this in Frankfurt. Reasonably optimistic.

Sub 1:15 half

Ran 1:16 on a tough course in Wexford recently so I'm not too far off. I'm signed up for Charleville and will hopefully get close there.

Sub 55 10 Mile

I've no idea what I was thinking with this one! Not going to happen.

Sub 34 10k

Got fairly close in Dunboyne back in March but not sure if I'll manage another attempt this year.

Sub 16 5k

I'm not far off this one and hope to have one or two more attempts at it before marathon training starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

An update probably in order:

1. Unlikely to get there.
    2. Nope. Failure so far. Unlikely to start anything in advance of Dunshaughlin in a few weeks.
    3. Less said the better on this…
    4. Weight has been static
    5. 5Km PB - 20:52 out at Naas parkrun in early April.
    6. 10Km PB - Dunshaughlin 10Km in a few weeks. If I make the start line, I'll get a PB as current race PB is soft.
    7. 10 mile PB - Unsure I will get a 10 mile race in at this stage.
    8. 1/2 marathon PB - I missed Wexford 1/2 due to illness. All eyes are on Dublin 1/2 now.
    9. Not going to get to race twice in distances other than 5Km I think. Maybe a late 1/2 in the year but nothing booked yet.
    10. I had to buy a new pair of race shoes and a new pair of trail shoes. Had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

An update in an effort to refocus

1. Picked up a calf injury, will do well to hit 2,000 miles for the year.
    2. The no sugar, no junk food streak lasted 131 days, a couple of bereavements and injury just kind of threw me.
    3. Decided against Rotterdam, hadn't been feeling the long runs, still excited and motivated for Valencia though.
    4. Wicklow 200k is this Sunday, still not sure what to expect but did do ok over 120k last week. Also still convinced there's a role for cycling to play in my running training.
    5. Hope to do this in July.
    6. Window is closing on this, again due to injury as I felt strong over the faster stuff at the start of April, had broken 20 minutes on 4 occasions, the quickest being 19'30, so still have a minute to find for a PB. I actually reckon I'm now in 20:30 shape.

Couple of other takeaways that some might find helpful. I was in Portugal in April, Monte Gordo track. I was the only non elite on the track and my biggest observation was how long the elites spend doing warm up and drills. I had my warm up, drills, session and cool down done all while they were still in warm up and drills phase.

The other takeaway for me, is when injured, trying not to spiral. I've thrown all my toys out of the pram, nutrition, sleep, strength work.

The pity party has probably set me back more than the injury.

• Advertisement

Just a half year review to see where I am running wise…

1. DONE - 5K done with a 19:55 out in Donabate Parkrun a few weeks ago. Hard going to dip under but delighted with the first sub 20 in 18 months.
    2. DNS - Was over in NY for the Brooklyn Half so as regards the Road Relays it was a DNS.
    3. DONE - 12:27 for the 2 miles on Tuesday. With the holidays for next 2 weeks and marathon training starting after cant see myself lowering this…
    4. DONE - 33:11 for the R5 way back in Jan.
    5. DNS - Missed Dunsaughlin, race sold out in an hour and just missed it…
    6. DONE- 72 in Trim, but i blame the weather that day. But DONE the 70m on the Leinster 10 mile champs in April and a couple of medals for the efforts :)
    7. Registered for Fairyhouse Half instead of the Race series Half as they still allow you to use a car to get there… Anyway got 1:35 over in Brooklyn NY so putting that done as a DONE.
    8. DCM ??? Barring injury and a decent training block, should be able to run sub 3:30 handy enough…
    9. DONE. Done both Lisbon and NY

Happy with the progress and results, but worryingly most of the other awl lads I run with and either injured or given up, so interesting times ahead … ?

Advertisement