Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas meter replaced Oct 23, usual bill has trippled

Options
  • 02-01-2024 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

My natural gas meter was replaced by gas networks ireland ( said they were replacing meters in the area ) end of october in Ballinteer Dublin, i only use the gas to work the Hob and nothing else, Heating and oven are run on electric, i got a request before xmas to send to Energia my updated meter reading, when i read same and did the calculations i see that my gas bill has increased by 300%. As it was so near xmas i decided not to send readings in and not to do anything about this issue.

I recieved my estimated gas bill today which is as around as i expected, ie circa same as every 2 months.( I always send in readings every 2 months)

I now need to address this issue which i am circa 90% sure that the new meter supplied is not calibrated correctly. Would appreciate advice on how to address this pls

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭chrisd2019

Had meter changed a year ago myself.

Your first bill after the change should include three reading. the last one for your old meter and then the starting reading and finishing reading for your new meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

How old was your old meter?

Very old meters read in cubic feet, recent meters read in cubic metres. These are hugely different volumes, much more than 3x different (I think its about 500x different) but could cause some confusion

Also make sure that the meter isn't moving at all when there's no usage, there is some potential for a small leak that you aren't smelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭stoves1

Thank you L1011, Yes was a very old meter and i got confused when i took the reading as requested by Energia, i now notice that having given me a bill , there are two meter readings one from old meter when taken out and one estimated which starts from zero, so having looked at present estimated bill its not far off usual, i then went outside to take a reading today and its not far from estimated reading so , many thanks for your input

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cubic feet to metres is a 35x ratio.

Advertisement