Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH Dublin

Options
  • 03-01-2024 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I was originally advised by Openeir that my area in Dublin 3 would be getting FTTH in late 2023/2024. Now they are telling me 2025/2026! Surrounding areas already have FTTH for some time now which I am finding strange as I would have thought we would have had it by now.

I wonder are there many areas in Dublin which are in the same boat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭RobiePAX

Below is OpenEir FTTH map. It can give you an idea where cables stopped and which way they are going (green area).

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/instant/lookup/index.html?appid=a8fdd9780bd84f0799f99522c48f6e66

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Where did you get the dates from? Anytime I've checked there's no dates on the OpenEir website

• Registered Users Posts: 9 WaitingFTTH

I'm in a similar situation and can't get a service date from OpenEir.

I'm moving to Haddington Rd, D4 and shocked that there is no fibre and that my only option is over-priced VM Docsis or legacy FTTC.

I've had fibre in my current house for the past two years and it seems crazy that the central districts of the city are not serviced by fibre.

Is there any data source where the rollout per area is specified more explicitly than the vague 'end of 2026' shown on the OpenEir site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pakb1ue

I'm not sure how up to date that map is. I know areas around me can now get OpenEir FTTH for at least the last 6+ months but is still showing they can only get 100Mbps.

• Advertisement

• To be quite honest they're a complete joke in older urban areas. We've having the same issues in a similar part of Cork. They've been installing stuff since 2020 and still can't manage to complete the connections.

I'm at the stage, I'm going to probably just going to go with a mobile internet connection and they can stuff their line rental as the 30mbit/s VDSL has long since been eclipsed by 5G.

It's ludicrous when you consider if I do a Speedtest on my phone I get almost 1Gbit/s on 5G with 3. If I run the same test on my WiFi it's stumbling to about 28 mbit/s and is costing far more per month and this is within walking distance of one of the largest Eir exchanges in the network and about a 2km from the centre of Ireland's second city.

From what I can see you'd have more hope of getting proper fibre on the side of Carrauntoohil.

I've relatives in Dublin 7 who are in the same boat. Older area and they just are taking an age to rollout the FTTH infrastructure.

In both cases, we're not passed by Virgin Media either. It's a few hundred meters away, but for whatever legacy reasons it's not available.

Advertisement