Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are safely deposit boxes that safe?

• 03-01-2024 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

I was wondering what your thoughts are on safety deposit boxes? I noticed one company in Ireland has set up shop in parts of the UK. They're offering safety deposit boxes at a fairly cheap rate.

I'm not convinced that they're that safe though. It says on the company's website that the Garda or Revenue can get a warrant to access a safety deposit box for whatever reason and seize the contents. I could see something like this happening especially with revenue if they thought you were keeping undeclared cash here.

Do you think this is something that could happen?

Post edited by the O Reilly connection on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, it is something that can happen.

Safety deposit boxes don't provide any privilege or immunity or confidentiality or defence against the legitimate claims of others. They just give you custody and physical security and traceability. You don't want to risk losing the documents/cash/jewelry, or having them stolen? A safety deposit box will reduce these risks. You don't want the Revenue/the guards/your wife to be able to get their hands on them? Then burn them.

Post edited by Peregrinus on

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭the O Reilly connection

I would of thought having a safety deposit box would be enough to draw attention to yourself. I'm not sure what the procedure is when revenue has you under investigation but they must be watching those vaults a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Advertisement