Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of ownership - someone about to pass away

• 04-01-2024 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭

I have an elderly relative who is about to pass away and he has given my parents his car, among other things. We have car and log book, he is too ill to sign anything further as he is moving to a hospice and to be honest we don't want to bother him with anything any more, just let him see out his days in peace.

What is going to be the procedure for taking ownership of this car over the next few days/weeks, I will probably be doing a lot of work for them as they are elderly themselves. The car is parked on my parents drive it cant stay there forever, they may keep it or may sell it. Its in his will that my mother gets all his wordly possessions so no disputing or anything like that, just want to know the procedure. Would it be solicitors letter to Shannon, or a copy of the will?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

If everything is in the will going to your mother and their will be no disputes then you know what to do send the change of ownership form off. It's not by the book but it makes things so much easier to get it insured taxed etc without the months it will take to sort the will out even if it is straightforward. I was in a similar situation a few years back and asked what to do and was told off the record to do this and did.

Do it now before relative passes away and it will not enter into their estate and be looked at again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

A lot of people in, that or a similar situation, would just put a signature on the log book, and send it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭tom traubert

5 years ago I had a similar query to yours. I rang Shannon for advice.

A very practical person there told me that if I was certain, absolutely certain, that nothing would or could come back to bite me that if (s)he were in my position they would sign the transfer section of the vrc in the owners name and forward it to them.

I did so, the ownership was transferred to the intended recipient and that was that.

It's your judgement call as to whether you consider the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Just signing it did cross my mind alright, then I thought is the current owners signature on file and be crosschecked? This I am not sure of. Can anyone confirm. Not to be callous or anything but the car is now in the way in the housing estate, either they start using it and sell my mothers car (this car is better than her car) or sell this car.

No problems with legal title or anything, I saw the will, its very straightforward I leave all my wordly possessions to XXXXX XXXXXXX (mothers name)

There will be inheritance tax due on the total value of possessions bequeathed but might try get car in under the radar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭JimmyAlfonso

I'd imagine nothing is crosschecked. If you were worried just do something similar to that on relatives drivers licence or will

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Sorry for your trouble. But trying to illegally dodge inheritance tax isn't something you should be aspiring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I very much doubt the signature is checked. I now my own signature never looks the same as I don't often sign documents. Also, the current owner is quite ill so his signature would not look great anyway. Sign it and send it off

Yes his signature back in September writing the will was very poor, I can imagine it is much worse now. But we wont ask him to sign anything anymore, just allow him peace.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If they have given you permission (they have given you the car), just sign the form on their behalf and send it off. Nothing will ever come of it unless you have a relative who accuses you of stealing the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

The signature doesn’t need to match, you can just write their name, or initials, or a scribble, it makes no difference. I sign logbooks on behalf of others all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭goochy

can you not wait till they pass , seems a bit insensitive to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If the relative is in the hospice has there been any person appointed to act on their behalf, presumably that person could sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The relative might have signed it a couple of weeks ago and sent it off.

The signature is probably scratchy enough due to old age.

As for signatures being cross checked, you are having a laugh.

My mother is executor of the will and the sole beneficiary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭JVince

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Buffman

Sorry for your troubles OP, it's a normal transfer if the owner is alive and below is the official route if the current owner is deceased.

"Current Owner Deceased

Where the current owner (seller) of the vehicle is deceased, a letter from the Executor of Will or Solicitor showing the buyer's right to the vehicle should accompany the Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC).

Where the VRC is not available or cannot be produced, we accept a declaration of ownership change in the form of a statutory declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths or Practicing Solicitor. The Statutory Declaration must be also be accompanied by the aforementioned letter from Executor of Will or Solicitor.

A Statutory Declaration Form can be got at your local Motor Tax Office."

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

No power of attorney. I think we'll just send it off to transfer ownership it looks like it will be fine. Thanks all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I don't see any problem with this in practice. In strict terms, your mother could have been give Power of Attorney until the will became relevant, which would have allowed her deal with anything in the short term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Hooked

Just stumbled onto this, on the home page.

I'm going to just be curt - and tell you what I would do.... Sign the log book (in your elderley relatives name), and send it off today. Your mam is getting the car regardless. Stop overthinking it. No one in Shannon knows the actual/full story. No one is going to be checking signatures.

Under NO circumstances would I be waiting, telling anyone in Shannon the "full" story or overthinking it on the internet to strangers. As I get older, I find that the more info you give (and more honest you are), the more red tape, obstacles and paperwork get flung in your way when dealing with utilities, bills, insurance, solicitors, banks and other day to day stuff. Be economical with the truth. That's my motto.

Do it NOW. Date it yesterday. Because when he does pass, then you'll be 'technically' transferring ownership of a deceased persons car - and ye can do without that headache/paperwork/wild goose chase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Madd002

It's fine to sign and send off, I sold a vehicle but couldn't for the life of me find log book had to get it replaced form signed by guards etc so I received replacement but needed new owners signature but he lived in different county he told me to sign away and date it. He txt to say he received new log book in his name so all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭tphase

@Hooked is correct, you're over thinking it...sign it, send it and be done with it.

It's done and gone

Advertisement