Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile on the Roads...

Options
1161718192022»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭traco

What is going on at Burgh Quay and O'Connell Bridge?

It's become a dangerous pinch point. The slip left onto D'Olier St is gone so traffic turning left is tight against straffic foing straight through. The lane beside the river seems closed. I shoul really take a proper look but I'm generally too bust trying to hold a road position with busses / taxis / cars on the back wheel crossing teh junction so I don't get pinched out. I suppose its connsistent as why not have more pinch points to match the Hapenny Bridge and Grattan Bridge.

It was grand before but not nice at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Slip lane being removed and right side, by the river, is going to be a two way cycle path.

Thanks for replying. Its hard to tell but it looks to be one way agaion once you cross the junction at the bridge and that the two way starts when cyclists crossing nrthside to southside turn left down Burgh Quay.

Is there a web page with more details on the project? I'd be interested to have a look. My spin is Tara St Dart to Heuston in the morning and Heuston to Connolly in the evening. Just curious to see how many times the "new improved" layout will require crossing bus and traffic lanes on the southside versus the two times on the Northside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

The two way section allows bikes coming from O'Connell bridge to turn left, and travel east bound.

West bound bikes continue along the quays in a single lane, after the bridge.

If it goes the whole way to Heuston that would be great as the left side road surface conditions are terrible until you reach Victoria Quay.

Not sure how they handle the junction then at Heuston as its not great and the cycle crossing lights don't seem to tie in with the pedestrian crossing lights 5m further on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭knockoutned

Thought this comment from everyone’s favourite Judge was interesting. How can he decide what is intentional or inattention. This will certainly concentrate every defence’s approach going forward.

”Judge Nolan said dangerous driving can occur by mere inattention and the courts generally take a sympathetic view in those situations. He said courts typically punish intentional or reckless behaviour, and in this case, there had been reckless and intentional bad driving.”

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-disqualified-from-driving-licence-restored-early-6426137-Jul2024/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I wonder why there's such carnage on the roads? I wonder?? Must be the slippery surfaces and dangerous bends and bridges that jump out of nowhere, and invisible ditches and telegraph poles. Not - definitely not - a complete apathy towards driver behaviour.

"AH SHUR…"

Spoofery dressed up as jurisprudence is a very dangerous thing. I'm sure he'll be among the hoards wringing their hands at the next tragedy on our roads.

If I'm being honest, I don't think it'll ever change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can be guaranteed that road traffic offences are one aspect of judging where the judges know they've been guilty of 'mere inattention' so are much more likely to be sympathetic about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Hold on. This lad with a driving ban, is now running a mobile valeting company? Who is doing the driving? I would wager he's ignored the ban several times already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's a head scratcher alright. I see there are calls today for a dedicated air ambulance system for attending serious RTAs in Ireland now. Leaving aside the fact that this is yet another example of treating the injury with sticking plasters instead of tackling the causes, wo is going to pay for this permanent service?

As a daily driver I'd have no issue with a new 'vehicle tax' to fund the costs of RTAs. It could be set each year based on the figures for the previous year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement