Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile on the Roads...

1192021222325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Steoller

I was already saying 'oh you bastard' when he was giving his alibi at the end of the second video, then youtube popped up a link with a thumbnail of one of his victims - and it's finished me for the day. I'm in bits. My youngest is that age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

There's loads more on the Durham constabulary YouTube channel. Not all as grim as that second one.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's powerful messaging. And then you remember that our road safety body won't share collision data with our LAs because of some bogus GDPR excuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I hope you had your hi-viz on when you were posting that? I don't care if there's no data, if there's even the possibility that it saves just one life…

Priorities and the RSA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,253 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Funny for how many of them, it's all about me, me, me - how's this going to impact me, and not a toss for the people I've injured or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,900 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think that's what gives them power - it's the realisation with many of those people 'i'm proper fucked now' which will hit a certain type of person harder than an appeal about some hypothetical third party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭elchupanebrey

What sentence would the guy in the 2nd video get here given how leniently most driving offences are punished?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

5 year driving ban and 1 year in jail but possibly no time in jail with a solicitor who knows the keywords for the judge on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/revealed-several-drivers-avoided-jail-after-being-convicted-of-causing-death/36460558.html

"The judge took into account … the attitude of the victim's family, which displayed "Christian charity" towards the accused."

this grinds my gears. that's pure luck; would the judge have jailed him if the family were baying for blood?

• Advertisement

Shameful sentences in other words

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭flatty

This isn't actually true. The wording in the UK is "should" rather than "must"

It isn't illegal for a non learner driver to drive an L plated car. It would be impractical tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't have any sympathy for them, but they are drunk and panicking so you can't expect much perspective. The guy in the second video is a serious lowlife idiot if that hitchhiker story was his excuse. They've got him on video admitting he was driving!

they did - but he was drunk at the time and may have forgotten he'd said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭nilhg

Kildare CC, and presumably the other counties with a public consultation on reducing the speed limit to 60km/hr on local rural roads, which I presume is all L roads, the sport will start when people realise just how many of what they presume to be R roads are in fact L. A good, local to me, example of what I mean is the road from Rathangan towards the Curragh and the M7, which is the R401 as far as the old Forge, then becomes the L3003. As you come out of Rathangan you'll have a 50, then 60 then 80 then 60Km/Hr zones all in the space of 1.5KM, going to be fun…

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.214424,-6.9677249,3a,75y,351.08h,78.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s2htBIbEKTQSzwc-KpXMB0g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

https://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/news/kildare-review-on-local-road-speed-limits_arid-28666.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,062 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RSA getting torn apart on Twitter for their new ad, which basically says "don't drink-drive, as if you lose your license everyone will think you're the sort of twat who rides a bike or takes public transport". I assume this is the RSA's corporate anthem:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,710 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

It's like an April 1st loop or something.

Is nobody looking at this inside the organisation?

I presume they are looking at it and have become so blinkered that they don't see the conflict of interest

they're trying to focus on the target audience of young petrolheads i guess. which is fine in and of itself, but i'm not convinced this is the correct approach…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Crash on busy Dublin road to cause delays for drivers; vehicle strikes DART level crossing | Irish Independent

A perfect example of why it's a complete false equivalence to try and suggest cyclists breaking red lights is the same as drivers doing so, or that bikes and cars should be treated the exact same in law.

Out of curiosity, we have had just over four months since the announcement by the Garda Commissioner's for 30 minutes per shift to be spent policing the roads.
    I'm assuming there are no positive KPI details being made public by AGS or the Dept (or surely we'd have heard them by now) but has anyone noticed any actual difference in driver behaviour? Has anyone noticed an increase in the number of gardai out ticketing or pulling drivers over?
    I certainly haven't!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I noticed my local squad car, driving the same route, at the same time, every day. No indication they are pulling anyone in or changing anything based on no noticeable shift in behaviour. As someone else said, one full shift on roads policing every fortnight would be far more effective,

Generally it's just 2 or 3 of them out for a spin in the squad car. No policing involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

There's a KPI alright. We've gone from ~15 more deaths than last year on a date Vs date comparison to ~6 more deaths. It's a reasonably big improvement. I suspect they aren't mentioning it because it's over too short a timeframe to prove it's not a transient improvement. The "proof" will come on 31-Dec from the perspective of that KPI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,381 ✭✭✭secman

Whilst stopped at lights on Tallaght bypass this evening a garda van was a few cars back. An old guy on a hybrid bike (edit: probably younger than me 🤣) just went through the red lights , I presumed the Garda van was going to stop him when they came along side him, well I presumed wrong. At next section a double decker bus passed me giving me about 1.5 feet; I caught bus at next junction and waved my finger at him making sure Garda van saw me gesticulating with bus driver.… they just drove on by !

Post edited by secman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭JMcL

I have in fairness noted more Gardai out with speed guns. There's a narrow bridge at the bottom of a dip on the backroad into Tramore where the limit goes from 60 to 50 and where drivers who are probably not even sticking to the 60 limit just gun it to get up the hill (with estate entrances, houses, and a creche). I've seen 2 speed checks there in the past 3-4 months (Garda in question on foot) where I can't remember ever seeing one before. It's only 2 instances, but I wouldn't be driving the road all that often so I'd have to assume they're more frequent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭JMcL

I got fairly egregiously left hooked (as in had to haul on the brakes) on a major roundabout a couple of years back right in front of a pair of lads in a squad car. I gestured at them but they managed to find something more fascinating than cr4p driving to be interested in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement