Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did Combi Boiler Installer disconnect tank in the attic?

• 04-01-2024 6:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭

When we bought our house about 12 years ago we got a combi boiler installed and at the time he said he would disconnect the tank in the attic. Not knowing much about anything DIY at the time i just accepted it at the time without question.

However over the years the water has been out a few times due to roadworks etc and obviously we couldn't flush the toilets which was a pain. Also the water is cold at this time of year so the toilet cisterns have condensation on them all the time and i can see the metal fittings are becoming corroded by the dampness on them for half the year.

Is this standard?, could we get another plumber to reconnect the roof tank again ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,715 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, how many tanks do you have in the attic, one or two and what size? I would have thought that he could have disconnected the heating system header tank and left you with a cold water tank for the loos, etc. Might be possible to easily refit it if the piping to the loos is exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I had a combi-boiler installed along with full lead pipe replacement and new radiators a couple of months ago. The contractor I used said he'd be replacing the tanks in the attic with a new one. There were previously 2 tanks up there, a large one, plus a smaller one that seemed to be precariously balancing on top of the larger one (rang alarm bells with him but it's quite an old house with a lot of work to do!).

I had heard from a work colleague that he had his tank removed when he changed to a combi-boiler but my contractor seemed to suggest I would need to have a new tank installed so I guess it's an optional thing. I suppose if you were thinking of converting your attic, you might prefer not to have one but not an option for me so I didn't object.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭pakb1ue

I could be wrong with this but sounds like you had an open vented system which would have a smaller of the two header tanks in your attic. Newer heating systems are a sealed/pressurised system which does away with the need for the smaller header tank. You should see expansion vessel somewhere in your house https://www.screwfix.ie/c/heating-plumbing/expansion-vessels/cat830984

Again this is only my understanding I'm just a DIYer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9 cianw

Got a combi-boiler 3 years back. They don't need tanks and usually just take water directly from the mains. Only problem is when as you said water pressure is lost or supply is lost locally. Our plumber recommended an aquabox (water tank) that holds 300L for these cases which we got. There's no need for one really only to have some water stored in times there's no supply.

A plumber should be able to reconnect it, with a pump attached I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭dathi

not optional taken from the building regulations part G Tgds

The cold water supply to the kitchen sink should

be taken directly from the service pipe supplying

water to the dwelling; the cold water supply to the

bath or shower and the washbasin and to other

appliances in the dwelling should be from a cold

water storage cistern

• Advertisement
Advertisement