Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon Race series 2024

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Not surprised to be honest, couple of us did it last year and while parking etc was good, the course is just a long parkrun, so we won't be doing it again.

One section is on a narrow path and while I understand about the problems with road closures etc, the Dublin marathon race series should really be ran on the streets of Dublin. We had the 1/2, 10mile and 10K over here in Swords and I reckon the 10K is here to stay. The 10mile and 1/2 will probably always be in the Park, so why not move the 5mile around parts of the City that don't have the full passing through it, Tallaght was fun, so why not Howth, Clontarf, Finglas, Ballymun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,756 ✭✭✭Trampas

Sold out but will have transfers which is something. How about a course. Just like the marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Swords one is a really nice route so I hope they keep that

They could nearly move the 10 mile out of the park if the half marathon is staying there

Not long til the first one now, looking forward to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Given its sold out how would I go about getting an entry?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Youll need a transfer. Start a thread on here close to the time or I thinks there's a Facebook group. Will probably be plenty knocking about in August/September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,082 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Cheers, I'll have to check it out.

Do people use marathon training plans from Runna or Strava and if so which one's are recommended?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Still no official course for the half marathon?

FYI. I emailed them and was told the half will take place entirely within the park. Those rumours of a new course where probably just hope. The half has been terrible since post covid. Terrible layout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Wonder will they mix up the 10 mile route (he said hopefully….)

• Advertisement

also getting to the park for 9 on a Sunday morning is essentially impossible via public transport unless you literally live in the city centre.

I bet the no show number is going to be huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Rossi7

You've literally months to arrange getting to the park. If you can't get there on time that's on you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I cycled in last year. 10k or so cycle but can guarantee how long it will take me and there is bicycle parking right at the start / finish line.

People are running 21k so you would assume a certain level of fitness.

Is your comment based on public transport? They’ll say cars are banned again but again it’s just them saying it when there’s nothing to back it up. Having it on a Sunday at that hour is just going to get people to drive. That’s just reality

It's solely based on getting to an event that you signed up too. I've yet to do an event in the Park where I can't get parked or dropped off.

The race organisers are at the mercy of City Council who don't want any races to be held in a park let alone on the roads. That's just the reality………..

One thing want is people coming to the races to spend their money but not wanting the race to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

This is a great idea, there's bicycles all over the place, park in the city centre and use Dublin bikes. Free low HR warmup

Far too much common sense used here for folk who want to continually bash the Dublin Race organiser's for things that are out of their control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The reality is that people can't get to it by public transport by that time - it's a valid point to raise and snidely dismissing it is ignorant.

I looked at google maps and chose citywest as it has the luas. What time would I need to leave citywest by on the day of the event to get there for 8 am ish? 3.33 am.

Someone would have to walk 2.2km, get a bus to roseville, bus to Dublin airport, airport to city centre, city centre to Ongar and walk the last bit. That gets me there for 6.49am and that is the closest to 8 am I could get.

That's Citywest which is well served by Public transport. What about someone coming from somewhere not served by good public transport? If you live in Rush, you have to leave at 12:04 am! That gets you to the park for a good warm up at 2.22 am

• Advertisement

Ignorant is signing up to a race and then complaining about said race starting at a time because they can't get to it.

40-50min cycle to the park from Citywest, that's your warm up done. A taxi, arrange a lift now with a friend. Plenty of options to get there but folk choose to give out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭The Davestator

'I'm all right Jack' seems to be the attitude.

40 to 50 minute cycle home is a good cool down too yeah?

The race arrangements are a shambles. This is not all on the race organiser, but public transport bodies too.

For the record, I can get there easily, I just feel for friends who would like to have done it but cant get there aside from your suggestions like a 100 quid return taxi or rousing a friend to come and get them at 7 am on a sunday morning!

I'm giving solutions on how to get there, you seem hell bent on reasons why you can't. There's people in IMRA who can't drive, but they are at the races every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Can't they park in PP? I have every time I've "raced" there.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Same here. Things may have changed considerably as 2019 was the last time I did the Race series half. But I've always either parked in the PP or drove up, parked in Castleknock somewhere and walked into the park?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭CassieManson

No parking on Chesterfield Avenue now. They always say no parking in the park on race days but there is usually some parking in the car parks if you get there early enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The rumours of a new course wasn't a rumour. The organisers moved the race to Sunday so that they could run outside the park and not disrupt traffic coming in from Chapelizod. I wonder if that didn't happen now because DCC are being pissy with the organisers for not moving the Marathon away from its course ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It used to go outside the park

You'll normally get parking in the park, might depend on route this year

If worried I'd park at Heuston and get the free bus to start line, simples :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Still no route for the half?

Assume the Frank Duffy will be the same as last year which is a nice enough route as not much doubling up.

The half must be the only race in the country where the route isn't published. To think they've long sold out too, why not just tell people they looked for A but have to go with B?

Advertisement