Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool chest recommendations

Options
  • 04-01-2024 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a good quality tool chest? Something with decent strong drawers, not too bothered about wheels as I can make a frame with good castors to move it around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

What about something like that with ball bearing runners, will last a lifetime if not abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭queueeye

Nice. Have you experience of it yourself?

I’d like people’s opinions on ones they have or use regularly.

I have 2 older Halfords middle tool chests never moved or abused for last 15 + years, it's the moving that wrecks them.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

This is the one I have and it is very well built. I want another one and will have to purchase soon.

I looked at the Halfords ones in person and am reasonably confident it is going to be them I go for. The drawer sliding mechanism is not as beefy looking as the Grant Eng one but it will do. It will be about 40% of the price so you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I have a halfords one since 2018, its 100% and im surprised it hasnt rusted as its in a damp dairy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'm not a farmer, but I do have a few of those Halfords Industrial (the black ones) tool cabinets. They are great value when on special and I couldn't find anything like them for the quality at that price. Only downside I found was that I found the shallow drawers very shallow- grand for spanners and small tools but its a struggle with anything awkward or oversize. Also check the cabinets before taking them home, (no matter where you buy from) they're coming from China and I had to return two that had badly damaged panels and corners, despite no sign of damage on the packaging! Some of the steel inside the cabinets (with drawers removed) was poorly painted so I gave these a good rub of oil to stave off rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭fulldnod

I just bought the halfords top box, it's seems sturdy the only thing when I had it home i realised the lock only does the top box and none of the drawers

Very surprised if that's the case, I wonder does the lid have to be up, and then ensure the drawers are fully closed before putting Down the lid so the bar at the back engages the drawers?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

Some of those cheaper chests (I have an old Clarke one like this) that relies on you inserting two flat bars to lock the drawers closed....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭JP 1800

I have 2 of the Halfords professional units for the last 10 years and they are robust enough. Regarding locking the drawers you need the lid open and push the drawers all the way in, you will feel when they seat home, then close the lid and lock. A workbench is easily built, I got some kitchen base units from IKEA and screwed them together. I used wood blocks for the feet. I topped off the bench using solid wood butcherblock counter tops. A lot cheaper than buying a ready made unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,806 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The other thing too is be careful with tools etc sticking up and catching the drawer underneath and keeping it closed. Happened here loads of times. A bit of gentle shaking the drawer back and firth tends to free it up. Just don't loose your temper with it. 😎

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Advertisement