Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you score in your last round? - 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

One small step for mankind, one giant leap for me - broke 100 for the first time. I’ve never managed to score well on 18 holes since I started playing last year. My best ever has been in the low twenties, once got 17 points in a 9 hole competition.
    So imagine my surprise when I shot 7 over for the front 9 this morning off a course handicap of 26. I couldn’t believe it - never been anywhere close to that. 24 points on the front nine. Normal service returned on the back 9 with two scratch holes and 14 points but delighted overall. Just proves that it’s possible I can improve 😀. Had I done a bit better on the back 9 would have been in with a shout of winning the comp.

Big learning for me was that at my level one good shot per hole is the difference between scoring and scratching so keep at it.

Out in the morning and no doubt will be back to 120 but at least now I know I can string a good round together. Future looks bright 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭testtech05

Well done, must be a great feeling. I had my best round so far last night in a casual round of 106, makes me believe that maybe I might be able to break 100 this year. As you mentioned avoiding too many scratches and wild shots seems to be key to me at the minute too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭coillcam

Had a bit of a blow up 95 in our intermediate scratch last week. Started well with a par and a couple of bogeys. After that I just couldn't put two good shots together. Ignoring a small bit of bad luck, the rest was consistently poor. Just couldn't string two decent shots together, made a sloppy error on most holes and couldn't make a putt. High 30s for total putts to give you an idea.

The prev week I lost an inter-club singles to a 30ft+ putt on 18 in Tullamore. I was gutted but could only shake the lad's hand and say fair play. He made another monster on 10 that without the flagstick was destined for the far bunker :D.

For a large part of the match I was in control. Missed a 4ft birdie on the par3 2nd, he was in a tricky shortside swail and nearly holed it before gave him the par putt. After 9 I was 1 up. At that point I'd matched him save for his lost ball on the 5th. Was a cool -1 for the 3x front 3s.

Back 9 he made that monster on 10 and I missed a 15ft for birdie to drop to all square. On 11 he lost a ball and I par'd it to go 1 up. Heavy tee shot landed short on 12 and didn't get up/down so a half after he was in position z with no shot in. 13 was poor from both and we halved. 14 I bombed my drive and straight pushed my 7w into trees after he had to chip out to the fairway. I reloaded and got off the hook as we both carded awful triples. 15 was halved after I dropped a 12ft putt for 6 (missed wedge approach and terrible chip went off the fringe down a runoff - very lucky to half tbh). 16 he birdied from 6ft and I was miles off with my chip to pull level. 17 I chunked a heavy tee shot at the last par 3 which he par'd and I couldn't get up/down before dropping 1 down.

With the honour on 18 he blasted miles to the right and flubbed his recovery even worse. I was blocked by trees and decided not to try a big cut from 190yds as he likely needed 4 to get to the green. Pitched back to position and left a 95 yd approach. For some reason I backed off slightly and landed just on the front with 40ft left for par at a back pin. He did need 4 to get to the green and was left with 30ft for his 5th. I lagged to inches and thought the match was being extended but you know the rest.

The front 9 was really good and my mid-short irons were generally excellent. My downfall was the stretch from 13-17 as well as 2x awful chips and 2x 3-putts which were all avoidable. Hard to shake the feeling that I should have been 2 or even 3 up after 15. Nonetheless, I can't take anything away from my opponent, he made two bombs, as well as a clutch birdie-par on 16/17 to tip the scales. Matchplay is a different class and inter-clubs even more so. It really magnifies the best and worst you have to offer. More importantly, we got through as a team and hopefully, I get the nod for the next round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

I played my 2 rounds on my annual trip with my college mates at the weekend. It's often the worst golf I play every year. One of the group is off +3, I'd be next best at 13 or so and then you've probably another 10 shots to the next lowest guy. One of the group said to me one year there really is him (the plus 3) and the rest of us in terms of golfing ability. Now, I'm not so delusional that I think I'm on a similar level to the +3 lad, but I was quite offended that I'm being lumped in with the 30 handicappers. But in fairness, I didn't argue. In about 10 rounds with them, I'm not sure I've ever broken 30 points.

So was this to be the year? I'd played 6 rounds so far this year and broke 40 points twice, broke 36 another two times, a 35 pointer and a 27 in huge winds. This was not to be the year - 29 points both days.

We played Coollatin the first day and Woodenbridge the second. I didn't play too badly the first day, but it's a tricky course. And usually I get a few extra shots for a playing handicap, but not there. The more I play different courses, the more I think this new handicap system isn't set up to rate tricky courses. Trees really come into play on the course (whereas on most courses they mainly come into play when you go offline). I had 7 pars and a birdie, so the good wasn't bad at all. But I just couldn't get the hang of the shorter shots all day long. The next day in woodenbridge I stank out the place, but had the same points. It was as hungover a round as I've played in the last few years. I should have hit irons off every tee as I was in no fit state to drive. But in fairness, I made a few pars and bogeys and stuck in a bird so had a respectable 29 points again. I'd just love some year to actually play well on that trip. I don't care about prizes, I'd just love a 38 point round or something.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

Played a fund-raiser scramble around Castleknock this evening. My first time there, it's a lovely well-maintained course and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

My golf was good without being anything to write home about, apart from crushing a drive 50 yards past the Longest Drive marker, but it rolled out into the semi-rough, so didn't count.

This round proved to me that I need to warm up properly before playing, actually hitting balls on a range or into a net. It took me 4 or 5 holes to get into the swing of it.

• Advertisement

I got out for my first round in deer park since joining. A medal, so I got the full course experience. And a comp I couldn't win because I'm a member less than a year which I think is utterly daft, but only a problem in principle. In practice it did not matter.

I felt I played okay, struck it well for the most part. I picked up on 17 so didn't have a score. Had it been stableford I'd have had 31 points which is respectable. Some days it's hard to pinpoint what went wrong, but today it was easy. Losing 8 balls from the tee was the issue. 2 drives and 1 iron pulled badly. Of the 5 drives lost to the right only 1 was a wicked slice. The other 4 I was hopeful of finding - a combo of tight lines and pushing them a bit. Some days none is them would be lost. Today, anything that could be was.

So no good score today, but I think there's a good one there for another day.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Finally strung a good round together today. 40 points with two scratches. First scratch was silly, as I didn't hit a provisional after pushing my 3w right, for reasons I can't quite figure out. 2nd was unlucky, with my drive just ending oob on the 13th (with is index one in my mind).

The rest was really good though. Hit some cracking tee shots, breaking my previous distance record twice today. 354 yards through the back of the 5th, and 342 yards down the middle of the 7th. Had 3 birdies and 7 pars.

First time in months that I felt in control of the ball. Knew what caused the bad shots, and wasn't questioning my swing on every shot. Hope I can keep it up in Roganstown on Friday and Esker on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

After having a few mare's which I posted here, last 3 rounds, 37, 35, 35. Major improvement the last few rounds and have actually dropped a shot, when I was expecting to go up.

Hopefully it continues, some stupid scratches on each of those 3 rounds above, plus a few good putts just millimeters out from par's or birdies. Onwards and upwards.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

And a comp I couldn't win because I'm a member less than a year 

This is weird, what's the thinking behind this rule?

I can understand people not being allowed to win medals if they haven't got a fully developed WHI, but requiring you to be a member for a year seems nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭finglashoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I was representing our club in the Barton Cup this weekend, got the win in my match but unfortunately lost the tie overall. This was my second match for the club in the BC but the first one I started the first 4 holes horrible and was very nervous but having come through, winning and realising I don't need to play perfect golf I felt a lot better this time around. We were playing against a very similar pairing, a low handicap (3ish) with mid handicaps (12ish) me being the mid handicap of course and ended up playing in the same order so I treated it as though I just had to play the other mid handicap.

We started very strongly getting 3 up through 4 with two birdies on the way with my recent short game practice really paying dividends here and never really let them back into it then. Complete opposite to the last match. Through 14 we 4 up and level par for the round. A bit of bad luck on both 15 and 16 we ended up loosing those but a comfortable half on 17 gave us the match. We had the 3 home matches and another one was won comfortable on 13 but the last went down the 18 being all square. To be fair the other team sunk a great 25 foot sliding putt for birdie to win it. I'm sure there were other ups and downs in that match I didn't see but talking about it afterwards sounds like one they felt they should have won. And we lost the two away matches on 17 and 18.

Disappointing for the run to end like it did but despite the nerves I really enjoyed the competitive side of it. Definitely gives you confidence and teaches you a lot about your game playing alongside better quality players in that environment. One of the biggest for me being course management and seeing how they think about their shots. Also just dealing with your nerves and concentrating on your shots, in particular your putts.

That's the end of representing the club this year but still one maybe two match play comps within the club itself.

Ah, I shouldn't have mentioned it, I could be at fault for derailing the thread now. The fear is bandits, I don't think it makes sense. Other people think it makes complete sense and that's fine, it's nice that different people can hold different opinions and everyone still gets on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

How are you finding the experience with Deer Park @blue note?

On the list to join - so far seems pretty chill.

I can't really give an opinion so far. That was my first comp and the group I was with were nice. Course was in good condition. It definitely starts and finishes very well, but holes 4-15 aren't particularly memorable. The greens felt slightly odd to hit onto. The ball doesn't stick like it does on most courses. So I certainly need to land it 5 yards shorter than normal.

One slightly odd thing was when I checked in I asked something about the comp and the guy there said the club is separate and he doesn't know anything about it. I know it's separate, but it's odd that they don't know anything about it in the pro shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

First time playing 18 holes after a foot injury last year, some 9 hole evening rounds but lots of work on the chipping ground.

35 points on my own ball in a 4 ball better ball qualifier, stuck to a game play and played some nice shots. Had 3 7's (1 was a lost tee shot) but no blow up 8 or 9's on the card which would have have been my normal.

And we got disqualified for entering a wrong score 😑 Two 4's on the 9th hole entered by our marker instead of two 5's.

Annoyingly, the 5's would still have given us a winning score, but alas.

Was a bit disillusioned and not getting to practice lately. Spotted my goals for the year in the other thread and chuckled as I was miles off bar birdieing index 2.

Saturday I got resoundingly beaten in singles interclub. My opponent was +2 for 12 holes and I think his index was around 12 ish. Missed a 4ft birdie putt on the first after he thumped one in from 20ft off the green. Birdied 5 to take it back to 1 down. halved 6, 3 putted 7 and then I lost everything else thereafter. I think he parred his way home 6 to 12, had a couple of chances for halves but let it slip.

Early out Sunday and was happy that I'd found a solid swing recently - ignore the 1st tee…. Car park to 1st tee mean two duffs, tug into junk but somehow took a point with a double. Flipped the script on par3 2nd with a 7w to 4ft from 210 yds to birdie that hole for only the 2nd time ever! Flubbed my way around until 11 where I drained a long birdie. Hit 14th in 2 and 3 putted - had to putt through 10 yards of encroaching wet fringe that blocked my line. I'm not the guy to hit a chip on a green. Solid iron on 15th and drained another nice mid range birdie. Two twos off the back tees left me pleasantly confused.

Driver going well so I took on the drain on 16 and left a 3w in to the elevated green. Nutted the last 4x strikes in a row and this one was the best. Lovely cut that landed softly and ran out past the hole ~18ft. I then peeled off that eagle putt to leave myself in contention. Unfortunately, a double, bogey finish meant that the local paper notes had to be re-written from what was in my head already.

As it happens I turned in 40 points but it was a mistake on the card that I missed and I really had 39. There was a bit of rushing to use the PC and chatting that distracted me. Texted the comp sec to DQ my card when I got home and I would have won my category with the correct score but scheiss happens. A mad round of golf. I've missed a few eagle putts previously so that was awesome to have my first go in. If you told me that I'd have 3x birdies and an eagle this year I'd have questioned your sanity…. Let alone off the back tees. The swing is really starting to come together and putting generally in good nick. With any luck I'll get some hours for short game practice but free time is at a premium lately.

I played Tulfarris a couple of weeks ago now. I came in with 37 points, so I can't say that it didn't go well, but it's another round where I was prone to lost balls from the tee. I lost 3 in the round, which is a huge improvement on the 8 I lost in the previous. I didn't really play for the second half of last year, and when I got a couple of rounds in at the start of this year I was thrilled with how good my driving was. The vast majority were on the fairway or not too far off it. Basically, I wasn't losing balls from the tee. It started to creak on an open day in Roganstown where I hit some wild ones that I should not have gotten away with (I ended up winning the comp - it was a disgrace). A couple of rounds later I was on a heap of wrong fairways in Portmarnock links, but again got away with it and had a decent score. The day in Deer Park was (and I'm praying remains) the low point when I lost 8 from the tee. In fairness, if I played again I'd have taken a couple of different lines and might have saved a couple, but I didn't know where I could safely hit it. Or miss it more importantly. And then Tulfarris - a good score even though I lost 6 shots from bad tee shots. If I was American, that and the Deer Park rounds would both have been plus 40 point rounds!

I'm not entirely sure how to solve this. Realistically, I'm not going to work on it, so that means I have to solve it by thinking about it and implementing during my next round. It's not completely daft, but mostly is. Unfortunately, it's not a case that I can just put my driver away on tight holes. Firstly, it's not just the tight holes that are the problem - the bad shots can go 30 degrees left. So if I'm aiming for the centre of the fairway, I could miss it by 80 yards to the left. Or about 60 to the right. Secondly, it's not just my driver that's the problem. My 3w could have a massive hook on it that would cause the same problem. And thirdly, even the par 3s aren't safe. Both last rounds I had massive pulls with 7/8 irons. If I'd aimed 10 yards right of the greens I'd still have lost my ball left. And there was space to miss left.

I suppose the annoying thing is that a lot of my game is strong. I'm making a lot of up and downs. I'm still prone to more three putts on the longer distances that I should - I'm just leaving them way short. But my chipping is currently consistent and I'm making my fair share of the putts. Aside from the wild shots, my driving and irons have been pretty strong. But I suppose this is golf. It's never the case that you're playing well or badly at a particular time. It's always an essay - my putting is good, but also bad, my driving is good, but also bad, etc. There's that overused line - there's no pictures on the scorecard. In reality, your scores are how you're playing. All that nonsense I've just written is just nonsense that's at best only useful to me (perhaps not even). But I don't think it would be as much fun if we didn't overthink everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I can't grasp your mindset sometimes @blue note

You shoot 37 points on a tough course like tulfarris where you lose 3 balls off the tee & win an open in Roganstown with a creaking swing. All that tells me is your handicap is too high.

If I'm losing 3 balls off the tee in 1 round, 30 points is likely to be a battle, never mind beating my handicap.

You swing hard and hit a long ball, so your misses will be a little bigger. And as you say, you're not putting in the work to fix any flaws that are there so you need to accept variability. Everyone, up to pros ,have wide enough misses with driver. Look at the Decade system, the advise is don't hit driver unless there's at least 65 yards of width between hazards on both sides of the fairways (or something along those lines). So if pros are allowing for a 65 yard left-right miss, a teen handicap golfer who isn't working on their swing needs some more realistic expectations.

There's a reason none of us on here are doing this for a living, so maybe try focus on accepting the fact and enjoying that you'll hit bad shots in a round but that your game is good enough that you're still scoring really well even with some big misses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

I managed a net 72 to qualify for the Captain's Prize for the first time ever last weekend. Not sure I'm looking forward to the next round this weekend, but we'll see…!

26 points in a windy Rosses Point on Saturday. Struggled massively with a dead leg from football the night before, and barely made it around the course. Can't blame the leg on all the bad golf though, as its just been a continuation of the shite i've done all year.

Presidents prize on Friday. Strokes from the back tee's…that's not going to end well 😑

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

107 strokes in our Intermediate Scratch Cup at the weekend. 😭

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

21 points in the 9 hole comp tonight. Mixed bag of emotions over this one. It's my lowest gross to date, but I scratched the first hole due to a really stupid 2nd shot putting me in big trouble. Still, happy that I got that out of my mind and went pretty well in the next 8 holes.

Got a par on all the par 3s which is the first time I've ever done this. Should have had a 2 on the 2nd but it lipped out. 7th hole on our course is one I always score well on, it helps that it's a hole I get 2 shots on. Today I put my first tee shot out of bounds. Recovered to get 1 point but can't help but thinking this was a silly 2 points dropped. Pitch at the 8th lipped out too for what would have been a birdie, ended up making a bogey, these are the things I need to tidy up.

I think the thing that makes me most happy is I got 21 points but I still feel like there's more in the tank, I definitely feel like right now I'm really heading in the right direction and the handicap will hopefully start falling faster in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Out foreign at the moment and played a really gorgeous course out in Malaysia, 9 holes for €20 with clubs included.

Travelling with the girlfriend and she came around with me and by god I played some absolute muck. Couldn't get any consistency with the irons or wedges, it was a rental set and different grass but still.

Fatted a four iron into a lateral hazard and just had a mini meltdown at myself and immediately felt really stupid. So lucky to be travelling, nevermind playing such a beautiful course, and here I am crying about a few bad holes when I've only been back since October and barely played since March.

Said to myself I wouldn't take things too seriously when I got back, but forgot how you can trick yourself into thinking you're better than you are with one good round.

Mind you, already looking into booking the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭bobster453

Stableford singles today 41 points..12 over with 2 triple bogey 7s.

Front nine 41 strokes 19 points..7 over.2 pars 5 bogeys triple bogey and birdie on par 3 ninth for a share of the money(closest ever to a hole in one without dropping).

Back nine 42 strokes 22 points..5 over.4 pars 3 bogeys triple bogey 7 and birdie on par 4 17th.Went around last 5 holes in 1 under gross.

Shot of the day lovely 5 rescue 178 yds to 3 feet from pin on 17th.

I reckon WHI will drop from 18.2 to 15.5 after that.

Nice to see focussed zoned practice bearing fruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Solid weekend of golf for me. 2 rounds sub 80 strokes.

Needed one decent one this weekend, as was dropping a 4.6 today, and managed 2. A 4.6 diff yesterday, 77 strokes off the white, and a 4.5 diff today, 78 strokes off the blues.

Didn't do anything spectacular overall.No birdies, no doubles, just bogeys and pars for 2 days. No 3 putts either which is always a good sign for being able to score. When I hit a bad shot I took my medicine, was never greedy, and it worked well.

Bit of a stressful start to the medal this morning. Set my alarm incorrectly last night so woke at 7.35 and had a tee time at 8.15. A mad rush and arrived onto the tee with about 3 minutes to spare. Obviously proceeded to knock down my drive, and follow it up with a badly struck recovery. a par 5 and could only knock it to the corner with a wedge so left me 200 yards hitting my 4th. Struck it well, left it greenside and made a good up&down to salvage the bogey. Was the 3rd before I settled and got on a great run of pars. Back 9 was a little loose off the tee, but kept things going overall.

Nice to have 2 rounds on the bounce sub-80 in the same weekend, don't think I've managed to do that before.

As a bonus found out I got a bye into the semis of the club matchplay so all-in-all a decent weekend of golf

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Have started to play well recently (for my handicap) and starting to compete in club competitions which makes it more enjoyable. So was surprised with how badly I played on Saturday in my first medal - 112! Was a bit worried that I may have lost whatever I might have found recently but then a 98 today for 36 points so all was well with the world. Off for a few golfless weeks holiday so hope I don’t forget how to play😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I've been struggling for over a month now with a wrist injury but it finally feels like its coming around and this is the first weekend I played without the need for strapping and without thinking about it.

I've been steady enough considering my wrist issue and this weekend was a continuation of that. Two comps and scores of 37 points and 35 points. So playing to my handicap which is always a good thing but both rounds consisted of one scratched hole and one double bogey. One hole in particular, the 16th our longest par 5 is by far and away my worst hole consistently and I regularly loose my drive on it. It is just a difficult driving hole for me given it's shape and position of the hazards for my distance. I think I'm going to have to move away from driver for it and see if that changes things.

Overall though lots of positives, while my approach play wasn't always the best I am regular getting up and down from around the green thanks to very consistent chipping and putting. My driving accuracy is also improving, slowing the swing speed down and I feel like I have a bit more control over swing path and club face. I'm probably loosing a bit of distance but not getting in nearly as much trouble as I had been.

It feels like I'm getting closer and closer to breaking the 80 mark and our Captains Prize is this weekend which would be a great time to do it. But if i end up with two rounds like I did this weekend I'll be more than happy. I can leave breaking 80 for the next boards outing 😁

• Advertisement

Played Adare last week by pure chance after a work contact pinged me out of the blue a few weeks back. 100% had to take the opportunity and it was a great experience. Almost had a HIO on the 6th and drove the green on 15th, a whisker from dropping the eagle putt. Won the 4ball with my partner on the day and had an 87 which matched my course handicap on the whites. Delighted to do that on a new course. The tee shots are simply bang driver all day but the green complexes are no joke. 9 will give me nightmares for some time 😂. Putting on the quick greens was fine, just that the runoffs are so punishing if you're even slightly off.

Yesterday I turned in a new pb of 81 at home for my best score in a competition (part of a classic team) and Ireland (Prev 83 comp and had 80 on holidays last year). I felt that I'd been putting well, driving solid and ball striking as good as I remember. Short game confidence is creeping back and having navigated some nightmares in Adare it gave me a boost. I had one double on the card after a snapped drive, duffed fairway wood and eventual 3 putt. It was the only hole I had multiple or compounded mistakes. Tbf I did duff 2x chips and got up/down on the follow-ups in the round. Had a couple of lip outs too, so on reflection there are potentially more strokes there to shave. The big difference for me was eliminating doubles and scrambling. After struggling to get back under 90 again, I've turned in a couple of 87s (inc away), 85 and now 81 over the last few weeks. My chipping is progressing and this is a real boost given that the rest of my game is healthy. Looking forward to our next major qualifier at the weekend.

Advertisement