Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panel repair advice

• 06-01-2024 8:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Was side swiped at a roundabout. Car is new to me 202 corolla. Any advice on best way to get this back to way it was ( please god that's possible) b4 I encountered this c**t.

Should I go main dealer or body shop, not had to have work like this done b4. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭User1998

Main dealers don’t do body repairs, they’ll just send it to a bodyshop and add their mark up. Find a decent bodyshop in your local area. Its a minor repair, shouldn’t cost a lot more than €500 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You’ll need a Time Machine to get that repaired for 500, if you want it done properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

That’ll be north of €2000 I would say. Needs a new wing for a start.

Not at all, a friend of mine got a great job done on his wing and front bumper for €450 cash last week. Similar damage to OP

OP is it going through insurance, other person paying or are you paying out of your own pocket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Fu*k sake. I'd just like it back the way it was. I'd rather pay north of a grand for a good job than a few hundred for something that's going to be noticable in future.

Any recommendation for decent outfit in Midlands. Wouldn't know where or what to look for. Should I be thinking about replace vs repair?

Absolutely livid. It'll be out of my own pocket I'm afraid. No dash cam and no cctv that I can see but will go back and check. First time I'd invested in a car like this. Not seeing a whole lot of places in mullingar area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Whocare

€500 for that not a hope, only recently I quote fix a minor scratch and dent on bottom of door €900+ madness quote was like 30 euro for parts bit of filler and sandpaper I guess and €500+ labour and paint and vat ect madness (but I guess it would have been perfect job)

As what other said I wouldn't be surprised €2000 + for A perfect job on that wing , if was insurance job more again new wheel tyre ect

Post edited by Whocare on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Luna84

Same thing happened me this time last year. Luckily I had my alloys off the car at the time and the steel rim took the brunt of the damage. It was on a dual carriage way bypass and it was the back wheel she hit so it's not as if she didn't see my car pass by her. I took a picture of her details but never bothered to go through insurance in the end as she also had a disabled sticker on car but she was able to walk around fine. (so I do not know what condition she had)

I even told her there are two lanes so not like I was illegally passing her by. She also held up a large number of cars on the road for a fair few miles before we hit the roundabout and onto the dual carriage way. Most of the cars went straight a head at roundabout and just me and her went left on dual carriageway when she smashed into me as I was passing her.

Looking back I probably should have went through her insurance but what can I do now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well that's about the best place to hit on a car in terms of repair.

You can have a new wing fitted and bumper repaired. Will be perfect and won't devalue your car at all.

The only concern is that the paint colour would show up what was painted. A good body shop will get that right so that it's not noticeable at all.

Wings are cheap. Cheapest panel really. Cheaper than a new bumper so it's not a mad expensive repair. I'd also suggest the new wing be bought from Toyota or a used wing is a great option too. What you don't want is a cheap aftermarket wing as the fit might not be as good as original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭con747

Give this chap a call Monday, he might be able to help. https://www.kevingilesmotors.ie/bodywork/ Or point you in the right direction.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

So how did my friend get similar damage fixed for €450 cash a few days ago? Wing and bumper resprayed, bit of panel beating and filler. Looks like a good job too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭mk7r

It won't be done properly for 450, the cost of height quality paint, clear and primer wouldn't be far off that price including blending. This needs a new wing, blending into door and a bumper repair, for a proper job it will be 1-2k

Ive gotten similar repairs done to around the same figure you have.. OP, go to a reputable independent and I'd be very surprised if it costs more than 600/700 for a cash job. It's a relatively simple repair, even if they replace the wing and paint it and then repair and paint your bumper, wont be anywhere near 2k that people are saying.

Anyway we still need to know who’s paying for all of this. That will determine the appropriate route to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭con747

Post #7 the OP say's "Absolutely livid. It'll be out of my own pocket I'm afraid."

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Thanks for the input folks

Still unsure what to do. Seen this online, will inquire about what's left of it. https://www.findapart.ie/314583/2020-TOYOTA-COROLLA-1.8L-Hybrid

from what I can see the two most reputable shops in mullingar are both associated with main dealers, sleators and mullingar autos.

I suppose I've tomorrow to suss it out more. I'm not looking to go broke fixing it but it'd break my heart to have to look at this for next few years with a faded or mismatched job. Haven't checked but I'm pretty sure my excess is 750 from previous policy renewed,so won't really make sense to put this on insurance either way. Was really enjoying the car and all.

I'd like to take the route that's gonna lead back to me being able to look at it and not see any evidence of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

You are over thinking it. It will be invisible when done by any decent shop.

It's possible your car had more damage than this before you even bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbobmalones

As regards quotes I got a deep scratch repaired a few years ago - it was both doors

so not a small job. I got the following quotes

1. 1550 from autobody shop that deals with insurance companies
    2. 1300 from local garage/chancer
    3. 800 from decent local place that does a lot of work probably for other garages etc
    4. 450(cash) from small place in an industrial estate

I went for the 450 quote and the repair was perfect (can't distinguish it) however that same place is now gone unfortunately.

Just to give you an example of quote differences. I would have happily paid the 800 quote as it seemed reasonable

however lots of places seem to chance their arm sometimes with v high quotes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I spent a long time in the motor trade, more time than I care to think about, and that damage is repairable, and personally, I 've repaired far worse. Thats light damage, and a careful panel beater would get away with fading out the finish within the confines of the wing itself, whereas with a new wing, the finish would have to be faded out on to the adjoining panels.

That damage is repairable, try a few panel shops for quotes. and see how you get on. Google panel beating shops, and you will see what's nearest to you.

I find it a bit mad so many people are saying the wing needs to be replaced and the prices they think it’ll cost.

it’s an eyesore but the damage is really not that bad. A decent panel beater will do an amazing cash job on that and you won’t know it’s been repaired.

I had a quarter panel that had similar damage to this and one shop told me door and back bumper to be blended and looking at 1500 or so.

found a reputable panel beater that fixed the damage and no other blending it was genuinely unrecognisable and cost me 450 cash.

OP, you’re over thinking this, go to a couple of places and specify you want a cash job and you’ll be looked after. This is a fairly standard repair. If anyone wants to replace that wing, they wouldn’t be getting my business, and even so a wing replacement and painting would be about 500 + vat from a main dealer just to give you an indication on price, add in another 50-75 labour to fit.

People have those prices because that what big crash repair places charge got few quotes recently and there can be a massive difference in price. is there massive difference in quality is some cases yes other maybe not

Yes but you and others have said its not possible to get it repaired for under €500 which simply isn’t true. It can even be done to a high standard at that price.

I know lads that would do it for €300 but it would look shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭GavPJ

I could do it for €250 and it wouldn't look great.

A friend of mine does it for a living and he could leave it like new for €500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

Depending on your excess, and if you have fully comp, you could just go via insurance. I have two open claims (one my fault), which are around €10k for my car alone (other cars much less, my headlights are expensive), and my insurance has gone up by around €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,137 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I'd get on to that dismantler. Get the wing for 150/250 swap it myself and polish up that bumper and see how it comes out. Have the bumper spot repaired if needed at that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

If you're paying for it yourself, I'd advise you to go to PK Crash Repairs. He was recommended to me for a few paint and rust repair jobs on my van. He does all kinds of bodywork.

I got a quote from Dennings first, a Please Fcuk Off quote of 2.5K. They're supposed to be the best, and do a lot of repairs for insurance companies. Then I went to Bodycraft who also have a very good reputation, and the guy was great and quoted 800.

Then I went to PK after hearing good things about them, that they do work for main dealers and all that. Anyway, I had to wait for the guy there to come back from his native Bulgaria, waited a couple of months, then he quoted me 350 and so I went with that. He did a great job: resprayed front NS wing, resprayed drivers door sill, touched up NS door sill, repaired rust on NS rear wheel arch, sprayed it and blended it in. You wouldn't know it was done at all now. Very happy with the work, and over the moon about the price. He's my go-to guy now for anything like that.

• Advertisement

Ya and have you car marked as damaged repaired..... no don't do this for this type of damage

Marked by who? On what database? Looked up by who, and when? It's not a write off.

I did miss that the OP said their excess is €750, which probably wouldn't make it worthwhile anyway, but if it was €250, and the NCB was protected, I'd be going via insurance and getting it done properly.

Marked by the insurance company? On the insurance database? Looked up by potential buyers? When trying to sell the car?

I'd be amazed if a €1000 or so panel/paint repair is being logged, and shared by insurance companies, given that many don't even do C/D write offs according to Motorcheck.

In any case, as a buyer, I'd much rather see a repair was done professionally (and with warranty) than as cheaply as possible.

Well first of all it would cost a lot more than €1,000 if going through the insurance company. And my recent history check states otherwise about sharing write off status. But yeah, I’m not sure if it would be recorded or not.

See below an example of a history check I have done:

Sometimes it will say, Damage Alert: Yes, Write off: No. That would suggest small damage like in OP’s case can be recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

add in another 50-75 labour to fit.

Fitting and aligning a wing is more than 30 minutes work I'm afraid

• Advertisement

It's terrible advice for this level of repair with a high-rise of damage repaired.

Hence I said it's terrible advice.

Especially when a new wing is definitely not needed, that damage is 100% repairable, the actual panel beating would be done in the time it would take to remove the wing, and without disturbing all the under wing / valance sealant. Same as the day it left the factory. And as I mentioned earlier, a good panel beater would be able to confine the repair area and not need to blend in the paint work to the adjoining panels, leaving them as original. Thats how I would do it anyway.

Advertisement