Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transatlantic economy

Options
  • 06-01-2024 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if there's already a thread on this sort of thing but I couldn't seem to find one.

Planning on heading to America for the first time in the summer, have checked the fares for EI, AA, United, Delta & JetBlue

All in or around the same to get us to the USA, we've an internal flight then.

However seeing as it's my first time flying transatlantic what's the concensus as to who offers the best value for money, service, comfort etc when flying economy transatlantic from Dublin?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Where you are change planes is the biggest factor really and within that which airline you are arriving on and connecting to.

There is a lot factors in play, which aircraft type, how long the connecting time is etc.

Economy is economy its never great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

they are all pretty much the same, airlines tend not to differentiate the economy product especially East coast . If you are onwarding I'd tend to go with a same carrier e.g Delta, United, American strictly because you're their passenger all the way but this is a very secondary thing. Total end-to-end travel time is important but watch out for minimum hub time, dont leave it too tight if its to a 1 a day onward flight e.g Atlanta Jackson Hole would be a 1 a day but Atlanta to Tampa is 10 a day so if you miss it they'll just stick you on the next but that could be 24 hours for Jackson Hole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,268 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cheers.

Yeah we're onwarding to Dayton which seems to have American from Dallas a few times a day along with Philadelphia & Charlotte along with Delta from Atlanta.

We're not really fussy as to where we fly into and like I said the prices are all generally the same for mid summer, around the 1k return per person mark, so it was more if any carrier would be better on board than the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭VG31

If there's two of you, the A330 or 767 are best IMO as they have 2-4-2 and 2-3-2 seating configs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭trellheim

If its Dayton you're likely to be renting a car so why not just go to Chicago O'Hare and drive , its only 4 hours or so , you're not going to get there any quicker by flying most likely and you might get the single leg a good bit cheaper

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And if in Dayton don't forget to visit the National Museum of the USAF!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

I would do DUB-PHL-DAY on AA and see if you can get one of the seat pairs down the back of the AA 787, it'll make for a nice ride, you'll also arrive airside in PHL and its a straightforward airport to navigate for your connection.

Generally the US carriers have a better overall Y product than EI in my experience (if the price is the same, typically EI is materially cheaper), free booze & less stringent on baggage (both checked bags and carry ons). Aer Lingus has marginally better food but the service is very rigid and 'Mammy-ed' for want of a better word.

I would go out of my way to avoid the EI A321LRs, they're just a horrible experience in Y from a comfort perspective. You'll really have to hold it or be strategic about bathroom visits. JetBlue should be marginally better as they have a restroom mid galley. But generally the narrowbodies are to be endured in Y if the price is right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

On my bucket list.

But as above I would avoid the A321LR.

With an internal connection a US carrier might be better for seamless connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭eastie17

EI to east coast is shite as others have said. AA have daily flights DUB DFW and their economy plus product is pretty good. It’s 6 inches more leg room than their economy and there is a good section of the plane allocated to it.

DUB as others have mentioned allows u to avoid long lines at US immigration state side etc

• Advertisement

Thanks all for the replies.

Booked with American through Philadelphia. Got a great deal on the way out, business class was only €150 more than economy for some reason on the round trip. So business on the way out, economy on the way back, €150 more each than economy both ways.

Seemed far to good to turn down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Damn I recently booked with American (through Chicago) and I paid €150 each way extra for premium economy, would've been nice to get the business class for the same price 😒

Apologies for another question, with us pre clearance in Dublin I assume there's no need to pick up checked luggage before the connecting flight, that it'll be checked through all the way ?

Just seen some conflicting information about having to pick up bags but I'm going to assume that's because of no pre clearance in other countries

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Luggage goes through to final destination if you pass through CBP in DUB or SNN. This assumes all flights are on the same ticket, it doesn't matter if you are flying with multiple airlines, so Aer Lingus to ORD and United to PDX bag appears in PDX

So

DUB - US1 - US2 -> bag appears at final US airport

any airport - DUB - US1 - US2 -> bag appears at final US airport

Yeah I know as much from flying in Europe. Had just seen comments about US Customs etc but assumed as much about final destination seeing as you clear US customs in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Noxegon

If you're going into Dayton, you should also look at flying Aer Lingus into Cleveland and renting a car.

It's about 90 minutes closer than Chicago O'Hare and you won't have to deal with Chicago traffic.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Advertisement